Thread: [News] Report claims GTX 1080Ti now coming [Update: Launch PAX East]

[News] Report claims GTX 1080Ti now coming [Update: Launch PAX East]

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...ming-in-march/

In the months leading up to CES, there were several rumours floating around claiming that Nvidia would be showing off the GTX 1080Ti- something that ultimately turned out to be untrue. However, the rumour mill doesn?t stop spinning, leading to new reports that the card will now be shown at PAX East on March 10th instead.

Given that past reports turned out to be unreliable, I would recommend taking this information with a dose of scepticism but according to a add-in Board partner source speaking with Tech Buyer?s Guide, the GTX 1080Ti will make its appearance at PAX East in March with variants from MSI.

Apparently Nvidia has chosen to sit on the GTX 1080Ti for a few extra months in order to see what AMD has brewing with Vega 10. Judging from the report, board partners are already preparing variants of the GPU for launch but a founder?s edition wasn?t mentioned at all.
    Obviously, the source on this information is anonymous but supposedly this person works for MSI, assuming the source is legitimate to begin with.
    NVIDIA's GeForce 1080 Ti Reportedly to be Announced at PAX East
    After disappointing scores of potential buyers by skipping a GTX 1080 Ti announcement at CES - which could have been a last-moment decision on the company's part when AMD failed to make any relevant VEGA announcement - it looks like NVIDIA has chosen the grand stage of PAX East, which begins at March 10th, as the place to carry the previously-confirmed addition to their Pascal line of GPUs.

This information (which should be taken with a maybe unhealthy grain of salt) came to light by way of an MSI (NVIDIA's AIB partner) representative, which also mentioned that the 1080 Ti would be available from board partners (including, naturally, MSI itself) at time of launch.
    Last edited by StyM; 01-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    AMD: Vega H1 2017!!!
    nVIDIA @ CES with Ti in backpocket: PFFFFFFFF nope. We'll wait! Thanks AMD! Let's go take some more money!

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm about tired of waiting... AMD really needs to put some pressure on nVidia... Just sayin

I should have unloaded my SLI'd GTX 980 Amp Extreme's, and went GTX 1080 when I could still get something for the 980's... This mythical GTX 1080 Ti better be a friggin beast...

Charles Barkley

"Poor People have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years ... and they are still poor."

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    I don't get it.

What's the point of releasing a 1080Ti in March? Isn't a Pascal refresh or Volta on 16nm supposed to be coming out by mid year??
    Last edited by EternityZX9; 01-10-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    I don't get it.

What's the point of releasing a 1080Ti in March? Isn't a Pascal refresh or Volta on 16nm supposed to be coming out by mid year??
    I'm thinking what would be the point (from a business point of view) of releasing a refresh or new architecture when what you've got is enough to beat the competition? Which I assume they can, nVidia isn't stupid, they probably know a large percentage of what AMD has got. If 1080Ti beats Vega, and the 1080 and 1070 could perhaps enter a new price bracket, then they're sorted.

Now......if 1080Ti is enough to match, and Volta could be ready by the time Vega hits, and why not, they could pretty much destroy AMD on the graphics level. Would they want to do that? I'm not sure they would.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

I dunno...releasing the 1080ti in March I would think would cannibalize their own sales when they release the new product - a 1180 or whatever it will be called - is released in say...May/June. This could also mean that the next product isn't coming out until August/September or even later?

Xtreme Addict
    Looking back at high end releases from the 580 until now or so, you'd expect a Ti to be already here. 1080 got launched back in May(!).

Re. new architecture, I think I got this right, but do check, major releases and intervals:

480-580: 8 Months
    580-680: 16 Months
    680-780: 14 Months
    780-980: 16 Months
    980-1080: 20 Months

So Volta would probably be Sept-Oct if not later, could be much later. I got my releases in my previous post wrong, Volta is still some way away if this is anything to go by?

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Member
    Distribution to e sailers is late Jan. Late feb is release date. Varios Chinese e tailers already leaking out inventory stock levels. .Unfortunately, no Bios tweaker until this crap comes out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well , it makes sense.
    Nvidia probably knows approximate launch date of vega, so they launch 1080ti first to spoil it.
    They also probably have big stockpile of these chips by now, they need to sell them.
    First voltas probably will come some time after and will be mid range chips (just as 1070 and 1080 were ...) and probably will be slower than the 1080ti.
    So they secure the performance crown, still sell cards at premium, unload inventory ... i mean what not to like ? (from nvs perspective)
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    Distribution to e sailers is late Jan. Late feb is release date. Varios Chinese e tailers already leaking out inventory stock levels. .Unfortunately, no Bios tweaker until this crap comes out.
    Thanks. Does that mean the Ti clockspeeds are set in stone then or can nvidia still deliver a BIOS update to tweak?

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair H80
    Corsair RM650

Xtreme Member
    Ti has been set in stone for some time now. What I was talking about is tweaker that can unlock TDP limit on Pascal GPUs and let them skyrocket in clock speed. Me and many others have been eagerly waiting for it.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You'll keep on waiting and it ain't gonna come out
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    lel.

It has a set release date... Many people know of it and have seen it being in action. It is not public yet. NV has to validate it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    So Volta would probably be Sept-Oct if not later, could be much later. I got my releases in my previous post wrong, Volta is still some way away if this is anything to go by?
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I'll be ready to upgrade this summer and I'd like to skip Pascal and buy the next video card series...but looks like I'll be waiting a little longer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty
    lel. It has a set release date... Many people know of it and have seen it being in action. It is not public yet. NV has to validate it first.
    I wouldn't disregard what BenchZowner says light handily - from my experience he usually knows what he is talking about.
    Last edited by EternityZX9; 01-11-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    feel free to buy Ti to keep house warm in Winter. Upgrade program is definitely here coz theres a huge amount of people wanting to jump on it.

Xtreme Member
    I'm putting my money on vario's pov.
    say it ain't so Joe............SEO Services SEO Business