Thread: EVGA 780GTX SC SLI Lagging

EVGA 780GTX SC SLI Lagging

http://valid.x86.fr/4wbyj4

I recently purchased a used EVGA 780GTX SC to match the one I have from ebay to run and SLI setup.

Windows 10 Build 14393.576
    Nvidia Driver version 376.33
    Dual Monitors Asus VG248QE Refresh rate @ 144Hz

Nvidia Control Panel:

To install I put windows into safe mode no networking and used the latest version of DDU 17.0.4.2 then rebooted and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia 376.33.
    After installation and rebooting I ran DDU again and cleaned up the Nvidia install.

When playing games, browsing the web, or sitting on the desktop I get huge lag spikes forcing me to reboot every hour or so.

I have tried Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

I disabled hardware acceleration for Chrome.

Nothing seems to work.

Games I play

World of Warships SLI off set to single GPU
    Eve Online SLI on
    BF4 SLI on

I also disable Shadow Play for Nvidia Experience

I ran folding @ home for 24 hours to test my hardware and I had no lag until I closed the application.

ETA:
    Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 220-T2-1000-X1 80+ TITANIUM 1000W
    Last edited by _COOLHAND_; 01-03-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bad card/cards?

I've noticed with mine the "dynamic" clock will sometimes down clock under lighter 3D load that caused staggering as the load increased and the clocks took a second to catch up. Some games would stutter a bit as loads changed...

I use evga precision and enable "K boost" that runs them at the highest boost clock speed 100% so no more "boost clock" "base clock". Make sure you disable SLI before enabling K Boost or only your primary card will be affected. Re-enable SLI after enabling K-Boost. It makes overclocking much easier too.

But I've never experienced what you are describing; I'm going to guess a bad card or two.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 01-04-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    To troubleshoot I would run FurMark on each card (only run one card at a time). If both are good, could be an issue with the secondary PCI slot on the moboard causing SLI issues?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Bad card/cards?

I've noticed with mine the "dynamic" clock will sometimes down clock under lighter 3D load that caused staggering as the load increased and the clocks took a second to catch up. Some games would stutter a bit as loads changed...

I use evga precision and enable "K boost" that runs them at the highest boost clock speed 100% so no more "boost clock" "base clock". Make sure you disable SLI before enabling K Boost or only your primary card will be affected. Re-enable SLI after enabling K-Boost. It makes overclocking much easier too.

But I've never experienced what you are describing; I'm going to guess a bad card or two.
    So I uninstalled my drivers with DDU and tested each card independently. I uninstalled the drivers with DDU each time and reinstalling to eliminate any driver problems on the off chance that a conflict would occur.

I ran Furmark on each card but performed flawlessly. I put both cards in my spare system which is identical to this one minus the power supply which is a sea sonic platinum 1000 watt and I got the same results.

I know this has to be a Driver issue but I can't figure out what is going on.

try turning vsync on and scaling set to display

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by _COOLHAND_ View Post
    So I uninstalled my drivers with DDU and tested each card independently. I uninstalled the drivers with DDU each time and reinstalling to eliminate any driver problems on the off chance that a conflict would occur.

I ran Furmark on each card but performed flawlessly. I put both cards in my spare system which is identical to this one minus the power supply which is a sea sonic platinum 1000 watt and I got the same results.

I know this has to be a Driver issue but I can't figure out what is going on.
    Did you try using EVGA K boost?

Disable SLI, enable K boost, enable SLI and see if you get the lag.

Could also be micro stutter associated with SLI. Enabling Vsnyc Smooth will reduce most/all micro stutter but you will get more input lag for FPS games.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Sorry for the delayed reply it got really busy at work.

So I talked to EVGA for about 1.5 hours troubleshooting this card and it was the techs conclusion that the card was bad.

After hearing that I thought I was totally ed but EVGA is makeing it right.

I purchased this card secondhand from eBay and it is 3 weeks out of warranty. EVGA is going to honor the warranty and approved my card for RMA.

The tech I talked to was great and very helpful. EVGA has a customer for life with me.

EVGA the Daniel Defence of the PC hardware world.