Thread: ps4 FW 4.05 can now run linux with 3d drivers, and play portal 2

ps4 FW 4.05 can now run linux with 3d drivers, and play portal 2

https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-7946-console_hacking_2016

fail overflow cracked 4.05 and has full linux with 3d drivers working on almost current firmware.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Freaking awesome
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru
    I never understood the fascination of running Linux on consoles. Console games are already super optimized for the platform they run on, and Linux graphic drivers in general suck. I don't really see any benefit to running Linux just for OS purposes either, as just about everyone has a super powerful phone these days.

I suppose it's a fun hack for those who partake in that kind of thing; I just don't see the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I never understood the fascination of running Linux on consoles. Console games are already super optimized for the platform they run on, and Linux graphic drivers in general suck. I don't really see any benefit to running Linux just for OS purposes either, as just about everyone has a super powerful phone these days.

I suppose it's a fun hack for those who partake in that kind of thing; I just don't see the value.
    the ps3 with some moding made a great media player. now there is the NV sheild so you can do that with a built in HDD but consoles are always fun to play with. the price on a used ps4 is also around $150 right now, you get a bunch of power for $150.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Depending on the circumstances, hacked consoles running Linux make excellent folding/mining hardware. All those GCN CUs, *drool*