Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building a dual skt 2011-3 pc, will this work??

NREMT-I

building a dual skt 2011-3 pc, will this work??

Been trying to find the answer of a couple of questions and hoping you guys here can assist me with finding the correct answers. This dual cpu build will be using this motherboard as its foundation ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...06&ignorebbr=1 ) wanting that board for its m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 slot and its more budget friendly then others. Here are the questions;

1. Will the board work running 2 "ES" E5 v3 xeons?
    2. I already own a ES E5 2658 V3 cpu, can i simply just purchase another 1 and run them together OR do both cpus have to be the exact same stepping? I can find ES 2658 V3 xeons all day long but I cant seem to find the exact stepping that I already own.. Would it just be better to purchase a matching ES Pair of xeon's like this ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Intel-X...AAAOSwImRYNH~A )

3. Will the board only work with ECC ram or can regualr desktop ddr4 ram work? I read the owners manual for above said motherboard on asrocks website and it never made mention if regular ddr4 would work or not.

THanks for any help you can provide me!
    Nothing anymore

1.) should work.
    2.) must be the exact same cpu.
    3.) http://www.asrockrack.com/general/pr...D16C-4L#Memory

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    1. They'll work.
    2. No need for the same stepping, just same core count.
    Operating Frequency will drop to the speed of the slowest of the two CPUs.
    3. To avoid unnecessary troubles, stick with ecc ram, preferably registered ECC.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Member
    1. They'll work.
    2. They'll work. Stepping mismatch won't prevent booting (In my experience).
    3. They'll work with unbuffered DIMM (In my experience).

I'd buy the board and try it out with the Xeon you already have and standard non-ECC UDIMM. It will probably work. If you need ECC RAM, registered or unbuffered is the exact same in most cases. You gain nothing with registered, unless you need very high density RAM...
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

NREMT-I
    thanks everyone for all your input!!!!
    Nothing anymore

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am going to disagree with 2 of the 3 responders above.

I have had over 50 Xeon E5 v3/v4 ES chips and the stepping must be identical for correct functioning.
    I even has 2 chips with the exact same stepping but one was made in USA and one in Costa Rica, they would now work together.

i currently have a set of 18 core v4's on an ASRock Rack mobo, works great.
    i prefer the supermicro X10 series mobos over the ASRock Rack mobos.

Non-ECC Ram will work in the C612 chipset.
    however ECC RAM can be found cheap on ebay with some patients.
    search for "PC4-2133P 1Rx8"
    Last edited by KaptainBlaZzed; 12-28-2016 at 01:15 PM.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed View Post
    I am going to disagree with 2 of the 3 responders above.

I have had over 50 Xeon E5 v3/v4 ES chips and the stepping must be identical for correct functioning.
    I even has 2 chips with the exact same stepping but one was made in USA and one in Costa Rica, they would now work together.

i currently have a set of 18 core v4's on an ASRock Rack mobo, works great.
    i prefer the supermicro X10 series mobos over the ASRock Rack mobos.

Non-ECC Ram will work in the C612 chipset.
    however ECC RAM can be found cheap on ebay with some patients.
    search for "PC4-2133P 1Rx8"
    well crap! I just ordered another E5 2658 v3 on ebay to pair with my other 2658 v3 cpu... i guess all I can hope for now is that it will work, if not, no biggy, will just hunt down the exact model next time. Thanks for your input.
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    motherboard is ordered and im super stoked and cant wait to pull this all together. Never built a dual cpu pc before!
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    I can really use some more help here PLEASE!! Trying to find a pair of E5 2670 V3 ES cpu's on ebay that are of a "Good" stepping, and there seems to be a few different variants. Here is something im looking at and hoping they will work in tandem with each other on my asrock dual skt 2011-3 board ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Intel-X...AAAOSwImRYNH~A ) Any input or links to other cpu's would be greatly appreciated.THis is the last thing i need to purchase to pull this new build all together! Thank You
    Nothing anymore

look for a QS version, QS are the batch before retail, something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E...3D142187476562

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    look for a QS version, QS are the batch before retail, something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E...3D142187476562
    damn there is only 1... Ordering that one right now, hope there will be another soon. Do you know what speed that CPU will run at normally? will it go to something like 2.5ghz?
    Nothing anymore

i would recommend to order it by pair, less complications.

NREMT-I
    there was only that 1 available so I ordered it... Will the QEYK E5 2670 v3's that are all over ebay not work with this M0 stepping cpu that i ordered?
    Nothing anymore

it has to be the same stepping...

NREMT-I
    you knowof any other places to get a M0 stepping 2670v3 from?

**EDIT** I found this ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E...XNt7o#shpCntId ) looks to be the same processor, same stepping, revision numberetc... even from the same seller but the strange thing is even tho its the same seller, the currency is in a different countries currency?? Think its worth the gamble??
    Last edited by newls1; 01-07-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    since i cant find another M0 stepping e5 2670 v3 to match my other cpu, what would happen if i bought a QEYK stepping e5 2670 v3toinstall with it on this dual skt board... will it work?
    Nothing anymore

as stated above, they have to be the same exact cpu.
    KB, did tried before with 2 xeons chip both having the same exact stepping, the only difference is 1 is malay and 1 is usa.
    it didn't work, it was having issues.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    It's not always the case and also depends on the mobo.
    Got a rig with two different e5-2680 v4 ES chips here on the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS working just fine.

Going for two of the same is never a bad thing however

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

NREMT-I
    well, ill be using a asrock dual skt board as mentioned above... think its worth a try?
    Nothing anymore

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You can try. I'd guess that it should work since they usually do on Asus.
    Can't say for sure however, although I planned to get an ASRock Rack mobo myself, I ended up getting two Z10PE-D8 WSs

NREMT-I
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    You can try. I'd guess that it should work since they usually do on Asus.
    Can't say for sure however, although I planned to get an ASRock Rack mobo myself, I ended up getting two Z10PE-D8 WSs
    Im going to give this ebay supply store a few weeks time to see if they get anymore of these M0 stepping back in stock, if not, ill just get another version E5 2670 v3 and cross my fingers
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    Wow, think I got lucky. I found another similiar cpu to match the other 1 i just bought. Paid 100$ more for it then this other 1 i bought, but whatever... crossing fingers both cpus work with each other!! Wish me luck. Will be weeks before I see 1 of them as its coming from hong kong and this other 1 is coming from texas... So i'll update this thread in the upcoming weeks. However, I did get all my EK waterblocks in for this build and the narrow ILM mounting adapters for the narrow 2011-3 retention socket on this asrock board.. Cant wait to have 24 cores / 48 threads on EK supremacy WB's!! sweeetness!
    Nothing anymore

all the best...

NREMT-I
    thank you sir,and thanks for all your help
    Nothing anymore

NREMT-I
    ok, update... got board and cpus in, and upon boot, my debug code reader is telling me error code "DC"... I cant seem to find what the hell that error means... pc will not boot HELP!

**EDIT** removed 2nd cpu, and it will post, so "DC" is obviously something about the 2nd cpu. With 2nd cpu removed, I flashed bios to the newest 2.1 bios, then made sure board booted with just 1 cpu in, all was fine. Shut down pc, and installed 2nd cpu again and same "DC" error. So obviously these 2 cpus wont work together... Any ideas?
    Last edited by newls1; 01-29-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Nothing anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast