Thread: Brainwavz M100

Xtreme Reviewer

Brainwavz M100

Introduction

Brainwavz is a Hong Kong based audio company that manufactures portable audio including IEMs, DAPs, Headphones and even DACs since 2008. I have heard their products way back in 2009 (I think) and I quite liked what I heard. They don't make very high-end equipment but more budget and VFM offerings.The earphone on review today is the Brainwavz M100 which is one of their newer IEMs. I say newer because some IEMs in their lineup have been there for many years like the M2 which has been around for almost 6 years now.

Specifications.

Packaging & Contents

Brainwavz M100 come in the black and white packaging.

One thing I point out in almost every Brainwavz review and one I have no qualms about pointing out time and time again is the beautiful and sturdy case Brainwavz provides with their earphones.The case is both practical as its very hard and protects your earphone easily. And it looks great to boot! Honestly, I haven't seen a better case in the budget arena ever! Some of the more expensive earphones provide more beautiful cases but most of those aren't terribly practical. This one is both beauty and brains!

The box includes six sets of silicone tips, one pair of Comply foam tips, a shirt clip,a Instruction Manual,a Warranty Card and a velcro cable tie.

A Closer Look

Design-wise, the M100 is the same bullet-style shape as many dynamic-driver IEMs.

The M100 has a metal house design and it's very nicely built.The M100 has a single dynamic driver incased in a metal housing that is very well made with smooth surfaces.

The cable is a plastic coated braided cable this makes it resistant to twisting up and kinking and also makes it stronger reducing the chances of wires snapping inside the cord as a result of twists or knots.The cable length is about one meter.The clip is quite effective to reduce the noise of the cord banging around while you move.

The moulded 3.5mm jack is gold-plated and sits at a 45-degree angle.

These earphones come equipped with a microphone and remote attached to the wire leading down to the jack. The microphone is including within the small remote which had 3 buttons. 2 being the volume controls and the other being an "action" button which can answer calls, play/pause music and videos and even tell your phone to start listening to your voice for a search. This remote would be extremely useful at times where you can't use your hands easily, such as when exercising. The remote is so small in size that it rarely gets in the way of tasks you are performing and sometimes you can forget it's even there. Saying that, the remote isn't too small that you struggle to male use of the in-built buttons and functions.

Small Brainwavz logos and commendably large side-markers with a good colour contrast to find the correct side more easily.

Performance

I tested out a few tips but the default tips on the M100 worked perfectly for me so I didn't have to really use any other tips to start with.The SOUND of the Brainwavz M100 is quite pleasing to my ears, positioning itself as one of the top performers in the $100 price range. Not necessarily the best but definitely a lot better than most budget IEMs I've heard.

BASS has solid slam and impact but can be too emphasized for some genres such as heavy metal. There's a noticeable boost in the entire bass frequency which I feel should have been minimized in the mid-bass region. At certain times the bass texture is just too thick that it causes a bit of veil over complex bass guitar lines. Fortunately, the quality is good enough with its decay/speed hovering at acceptable levels. Not as fast as balance armature driven earphones but not sloppy either just a well balanced and natural sounding bass response that doesn't bleed into the midrange. As a result, other genres sound really good on these! RnB, Rap, Hip-hop, Pop, and Rock Ballads are such a pleasure to listen through the M100.
    MIDRANGE is quite intimate, clear, and detailed which I really appreciate considering those are hard to come by at this price range. Vocals are upfront especially with female artists giving an illusion that they're singing in front of you. Guitar riffs in ballads are pleasantly presented like they're the main feature of the song.Thanks to the slight emphasis in the upper midrange. Clarity is also worth mentioning because it is quite capable and it's a contributing factor in maintaining a good balance between low and mid frequencies.

HIGHS can be an issue for those who are sensitive to sibilance. There's an emphasis in the lower treble that can sound harsh with some female vocals, aggressive sounding genres, and poorly mastered tracks. Despite this hurdle, I truly feel the added sparkle is needed to complement the boosted bass. Fortunately, the sibilance issue can be eliminated by using the right type of tips and I find comply foams really effective. Using tips with the M100 not only eliminates sibilance but also results into a more even treble response with above average detail/resolution. Treble extension is good enough for most tracks but there are times when I feel like it could've benefit with just a little bit more.
    IMAGING AND SOUNDSTAGE: Soundstage width is average but it doesn't detract from a good musical presentation. Some listeners prefer a more intimate experience and the M100 is one of the strong candidates for the job. What makes the overall presentation work is the imaging capability of this budget wonder. Instruments are well placed all over the soundstage with no signs of congestion. The only time I noticed a short coming is when a complex and fast tempo bass guitar riff takes place. The emphasis in the mid bass coupled with its bass decay characteristic seem to veil the imaging and detail a bit. Other than that, the M100 is a solid performer as a budget IEM.
    MIC:Brainwavz M100's microphone is great. Others can hear my voice loud and clear thanks to the placement of mic that is higher and nearer to mouth.It is working properly on both Android and iOS devices. Volume control, play, pause and next / previous track all are working great on my devices.

Final Thoughts

First and foremost I will say that I listen to a LOT of music. I got quite a few IEMs and sound wise, nothing matches these.I will not go into a sound comparison to any other IEM, as I did not hear any that tries to match over the head qualities. I cannot find anything lacking in sound. Very good sound stage. Highs are all there and not bright or distorted. The mids are all there, retains it's mid range sound and vocals are slightly up front. The bass is full and there only when ordered. It is not boomy or bright, but just right. String and synth bass can be fully experienced over the entire range with no breaking up. Even tried some heavy bass hip-hop and it handled without distortion. You could even hear the details within the bass notes, while not being bright.

All in all the Brainwavz M100 comes with a pretty impressive accessories bundle. I really don't have any sort of feedback to Brainwavz regarding any improvement in their bundle. They are top of the charts when it comes to accessories!Overall, you get a lot for your buck. There are tons of ear tips that will give you a great fit, which is most of the issue with ear buds.At $89.50, the M100s are a great earphone. They should be on the shortlist for anyone with that kind of budget who enjoys mid-centric sound and warmer earphones.The earphones can be purchased from Brainwavz, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com.

Last edited by testman78; 02-03-2017 at 07:20 AM.