Thread: Intel Supermicro Xeon Phi x200 Kinghts Landing

Intel Supermicro Xeon Phi x200 Kinghts Landing

Administrator

Xtreme Legend
    Will you get a chance to play too Buckeye ??

If so you know what I will ask next

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Administrator
    Yes I will

Patrick is having all the fun this round, I think this rig will end up in the DemoEval setup.

If I can run WCG on it I will and report back numbers, don't expect much tho.

Xtreme Legend

Plainly perhaps, the question is: will it run and what effect performance wise of 4t per core on an already slow clock

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Addict
    Supermicro Showcases Intel Xeon Phi and Nvidia P100 Solutions at ISC 2016:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVWqSjt6hX4

6 chan memory is pretty cool.
    215 watts is spot on compared to say:
    64 x 3.7w = 236.8 watts (64 pi 3's for ex., each has 4 cores, 256 cores using arm whatever ver it is platform...)

However, I don't think it's ready quite yet.
    1.3ghz you know is slow, once it's around 2.5ghz - 3.2ghz, ipc within reason..., then it'll definitely be worth something.

In the end though, I would rather have a few 4.x - 5ghz cores then have a ton of slow ones.
    The slow ones could still have use(drives, network, audio, misc irq's and etc), but what I'de like to see is intel be a little more aggressive on there power management.
    I don't why you couldn't just clock a single core up to 5ghz on demand as long as it's within heating ability and power/amp limits.

I mean why couldn't a xeon that say, 32 cores, at 1.2ghz.
    Do a few of those cores, at 5ghz.
    For ex., codmw2, a single threaded game, bench it vs the consumer cpu and the consumer one blows it away, but if they get more aggressive with there pstates, they would both bench the same on single threaded apps.
    The xeon only pulling ahead when the consumer cpu runs out of cores/threads.
    That's the way I think it should be...

Anyways, it's cool to see atx boards dedicated to the new platform, even if it is probably pretty sluggish in general use.
    If they got that thing down to the size of a coin and to use a .25 watt then I'de jump on it lol .
    I wonder, if anything if they got it way down to around 5w's it would be a good pi alt (I know there's already some x86's ones, just not with 256 threads...).

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Phi and all others can make good of uses when softwares can be linked to hw.