Thread: [News/Rumor] Intel Could License AMD Radeon iGPU Tech for Future Processors

[News/Rumor] Intel Could License AMD Radeon iGPU Tech for Future Processors

https://www.techpowerup.com/228467/i...ure-processors

Intel and AMD's cross-licensing arrangements could get more equitable in the future, with reports hinting at the possibility of Intel licensing AMD Radeon intellectual property to be used as Intel processors' integrated GPUs. Rumors of such a deal were first reported by HardOCP this Spring, where it stated that the two companies were negotiating a licensing agreement. Earlier this week, HardOCP editor Kyle Bennett commented on the site's forums that a licensing agreement has been reached between the two, even though Intel does not want this to be public.

Such an agreement could see AMD sharing designs of its Radeon integrated graphics processors with Intel, which will integrate it into its processor designs, and manufacture them. Whether the amalgamated graphics solution will continue to be branded "AMD Radeon" or whether it will be marketed under the Intel graphics brands, remains to be seen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That could be a big win for AMD to the tune of $85 million per quarter in licensing fees. You have to wonder what kind of cooperation they would do on driver support, too.

That would be very interesting indeed.

I wouldn't trust anything that came out of Kyle Bennetts mouth. If he said rain was wet, i'd go check. Twice.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wouldn't that wreck their APU sales? I mean even more than currently.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Wouldn't that wreck their APU sales? I mean even more than currently.
    they sell them at a loss or near loss. the intel iris pro parts also outperform the a10 in gpu tasks now so i dont think it would really hurt them. i could also see intel spending a bit more than they should to make sure amd stays up and running so they dont get targeted with more regulations.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    they sell them at a loss or near loss. the intel iris pro parts also outperform the a10 in gpu tasks now so i dont think it would really hurt them. i could also see intel spending a bit more than they should to make sure amd stays up and running so they dont get targeted with more regulations.
    It is not the GPU part that made the loss, but the CPU performance.

Iris Pro was faster due to memory and caching only.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Isn't this just a patent licensing deal?
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Isn't this just a patent licensing deal?
    That was my understanding. Intel simply licenses out the patent, then creates their own spinoff design for their silicon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    That was my understanding. Intel simply licenses out the patent, then creates their own spinoff design for their silicon.
    I'm curious what AMD got in return. Surely more than just money? Maybe they licensed parts of hyperthreading patent for Zen...? I can't imagine AMD created a SMT solution that didn't overlap at least one part of Intel's patent
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm curious what AMD got in return. Surely more than just money? Maybe they licensed parts of hyperthreading patent for Zen...? I can't imagine AMD created a SMT solution that didn't overlap at least one part of Intel's patent
    Intel is not the inventor of SMT.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by qcmadness View Post
    Intel is not the inventor of SMT.
    Not the concept but I'm pretty sure the way they execute is proprietary.

A quick search:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US7149880
    https://www.google.com/patents/US852...uaBEcQ6AEIMTAD
    https://www.google.com/patents/US736...uaBEcQ6AEIPzAF
    https://www.google.com/patents/US765...uaBEcQ6AEITTAH
    Last edited by StAndrew; 12-08-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There are many implementations of SMT that are (or have been) on the market:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simult...mplementations

It would not surprise me if AMD's were more similar to IBM's or Sun/Oracle's implementations.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    There are many implementations of SMT that are (or have been) on the market:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simult...mplementations

It would not surprise me if AMD's were more similar to IBM's or Sun/Oracle's implementations.
    Why do you think that?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Addict
    Nvidia and Qualcomm are pressuring Intel. Microsoft now has this Windows 10 that can run x86 software on an ARM CPU. Intel sees the writing on the wall and will be making some moves. They were distracted while punching and kicking AMD on the ground and now Qualcomm and Nvidia have snuck up on them in datacenter and elsewhere.

We're going to have some fun years ahead...
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Mentor
    Why do you think that?
    AMD and IBM have had licensing agreements in the past.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    Nvidia and Qualcomm are pressuring Intel. Microsoft now has this Windows 10 that can run x86 software on an ARM CPU. Intel sees the writing on the wall and will be making some moves. They were distracted while punching and kicking AMD on the ground and now Qualcomm and Nvidia have snuck up on them in datacenter and elsewhere.

We're going to have some fun years ahead...
    That's an interesting theory. True, Intel did definitely enjoy in some profit taking these past few years. But I'm not sure I'm quite ready to say Nvidia is in a position to take away the CPU market from them just yet.

Deep learning is definitely an interesting market segment - one that is arguably more efficient on a GPU than a CPU. Having said that, I don't see any route where Nvidia can survive without a CPU helping to run the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    AMD and IBM have had licensing agreements in the past.
    Well not only that, but early on in the Zen rumour mill, at least a few people were suggesting that Zen would be taking cues from the UltraSPARC playbook. At least one rumour-monger suggested it would be hybrid CMT/SMT, but that hasn't come to pass (thank goodness).

GlobalFoundries already controls all the fabs that produce POWER chips, and if you look at the SMT scaling on POWER8 and POWER9, they get a lot done that way.

Intel is not the only SMT game in town.

Based on what has been revealed about Summit Ridge, we can see that it's a pretty wide core, so there's fertile ground here to permit a lot of computational resources to go to the second thread per core, depending on the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    That's an interesting theory. True, Intel did definitely enjoy in some profit taking these past few years. But I'm not sure I'm quite ready to say Nvidia is in a position to take away the CPU market from them just yet.

Deep learning is definitely an interesting market segment - one that is arguably more efficient on a GPU than a CPU. Having said that, I don't see any route where Nvidia can survive without a CPU helping to run the OS.
    I'm not sure how much the ARM-based Win10 is really going to lead to market displacement. The continued maturation of Linux on ARM is probably going to mean more in the server room.

And it's going to take more than a consumer build of Win10 for ARM to cause any major change in that space (not to speak of the drivers that would have to be ported over).

That being said, Nvidia has already paired their products - and their NVLink - with IBM's POWER platform. POWER + OpenPOWER is expected to be NVidia's platform of choice.
    Last edited by drmrlordx; 12-10-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post

I'm not sure how much the ARM-based Win10 is really going to lead to market displacement. The continued maturation of Linux on ARM is probably going to mean more in the server room.

And it's going to take more than a consumer build of Win10 for ARM to cause any major change in that space (not to speak of the drivers that would have to be ported over).

That being said, Nvidia has already paired their products - and their NVLink - with IBM's POWER platform. POWER + OpenPOWER is expected to be NVidia's platform of choice.
    Yeah ARM already finished the Atom processor so not much competition for low costs Windows based tablets in the short term. But this may motivate ARM to manufacture a bigger chip and start eating into Intel's mobile shares.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol i love the irony of this
    Bachelor of Science in Music Production 2016, Mid 2012 mack book Pro i7 2.6 8gb ram Nvidia 250m 1gb . Pro Tools , Logic X, Presonus one, Reaper, Garage Band. Cubase, Cakewalk.