Thread: [News] AMD is shooting for 50 per cent graphics market share says CEO

[News] AMD is shooting for 50 per cent graphics market share says CEO

http://hexus.net/business/news/compo...hare-says-ceo/

AMD is readying a pre-launch publicity blitz in less than a fortnight at the New Horizon event in Austin Texas. While that event will provide "an exclusive advance preview of our new 'Zen' CPU ahead of its 2017 Q1 launch," many are hoping, and even expecting, a glimpse of the Vega GPU as a little bonus from AMD.

On Wednesday AMD President & CEO Lisa Su was questioned by analysts about GPU business progress and aspirations. This was at the investor focussed Credit Suisse 20th Annual Technology, Media & Telecom Conference, attended by the AMD boss. Web site WCCF Tech listened in and sifted a very interesting couple of nuggets from the talks that day.

50/50 graphics market share

John Pitzer, Semiconductor Analyst at Credit Suisse put a question to Dr Su, asking about the market progress of Polaris in 2016 and hopes for Vega in 2017. Furthermore, he enquired if AMD could claw back its market share to its previous heights. WCCF Tech transcribed Dr Su's response as follows:

"We have made very good progress I would say in the first couple of quarters this year in terms of graphics. I think it's nice, when you look at graphics it's both in the consumer side on the channel as well as in the OEM business and on the professional graphics market. There's a large opportunity. I think we've gained a good amount of share over the last few quarters, we're going to continue and consistently drive [share growth]. We believe that there's no reason we can't be at 50/50 share overtime, but it will certainly take some time to get there."

Dr Su went on to express her enthusiasm and optimism for AMD growth in graphics. She described the graphics chip market as being "on fire". So far we have only seen the lower end of the market catered for by AMD's Polaris offerings but "our strategy in GPUs is to play across the entire market," affirmed the company CEO.

it is going to be really hard to capture mark share without a mid, high, or flagship part.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vega or bust.

Xtreme Mentor
    shooting the photo of the %50 market share

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.