Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [News] AMD Vega 10 3DMark Fire Strike Results Surface

[News] AMD Vega 10 3DMark Fire Strike Results Surface

https://www.techpowerup.com/233109/a...esults-surface

Another day, another set of Vega results see the light of it. It would seem like this saga has been going on for ages, ever since we've seen AMD showcase its prototype Vega cards running Star Wars Battlefront (4K, Ultra settings at over 60 FPS) and Doom (4K, Vulcan render path at over 60 FPS on pre-production hardware). But with the lack of official information coming from AMD (let's hope this changes on May 16th), it would seem the company is content to see us hardware news sites jumping at every detail and offering free publicity.

This is known to be Vega because the device ID, 687F:C1, was spotted on AMD's own hands while running that Doom demo in 4K. The device clocks seem to be in line with previous leaks: a 1200 MHz core clock and 8GB of video memory running at 700 MHz memory clocks. With these clocks (which are expected to be extremely conservative when we take into account what we know of Vega), the Vega video card manages to deliver a 17,801 points graphics score, approximately 1,400 points more than your average Fury X, but some hundreds less than your average, current-generation GTX 1070. Remember: AMD's MI25 is expected to come in at 1,500 MHz core clocks, and this is a professional, passively-cooled graphics card. This means that unless AMD greatly overestimated the clock capability of its Vega cards, the consumer version of Vega will have necessarily higher clocks. But we'll stay here, waiting for some more details to pour our way, as always.

Xtreme Guru
    Seems low to me. I know AMD has been surprisingly silent on Vega, but I find it hard to believe the main SKU fails to beat the 1080 in benchmarks.

AMD typically does fairly well in synthetics. Willing to bet this is either fake or a cutdown version of the card. Don't think drivers is a reasonable bet due to the many extra months they've had for optimizing during HBM2 delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its only clocked at 1.2Ghz. But still a bit low.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If these are final clocks then I guess we need to wait for navi before we can hope amd is competitive with nvidia again. That said, I expect AMD will sell a 16GB version as a high end model and since this only has 8GB then at least this isn't the highest end model.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Its only clocked at 1.2Ghz. But still a bit low.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-performance-8gb-hbm2/

That old demo shows it beating the 1080 in Doom on premature drivers. Who knows what settings were used (AMD did pull some funny business in their Polaris demo), but I'd be really disappointed if Vega can't at least beat the 1080 across the board given how late it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-performance-8gb-hbm2/

That old demo shows it beating the 1080 in Doom on premature drivers. Who knows what settings were used (AMD did pull some funny business in their Polaris demo), but I'd be really disappointed if Vega can't at least beat the 1080 across the board given how late it is.
    Yeah I saw that. Have you heard the rumor of a dual GPU card? I hope they A: Launch soon, and B: win with a single GPU card. Dual GPU's cards don't count in my opinion.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    If I recall correctly, Koduri and AMD during the past "presentations" and during the Ryzen showcases, when they talked about Vega, they said "it's going to be one card, the Vega", not "Vega 570, Vega 580, Vega 590" etc.

Failing to beat the vanilla 1080 seems unlikely. If they manage to lag behind the 1080, then that's an epic failure, one nobody would expect
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    If I recall correctly, Koduri and AMD during the past "presentations" and during the Ryzen showcases, when they talked about Vega, they said "it's going to be one card, the Vega", not "Vega 570, Vega 580, Vega 590" etc.

Failing to beat the vanilla 1080 seems unlikely. If they manage to lag behind the 1080, then that's an epic failure, one nobody would expect
    Theres no such thing as uniform performance.
    Its very likely it will lag behind 1080 in some apps/settings and win in other.
    Also only ONE vega flavour is pretty much impossible. Just like with fury and any other chip.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The gap between the 1080 and the 1080 Ti is pretty big to allow a "uniform performance" in-betweener.

Sure you can have a chip that has a relatively poor performance in 1 or 2 games.
    But lagging behind in more than just 1-2 "exceptions" won't look good, considering the fact that the 1080 is pretty old, can be found at a "decent" price nowadays, and there are 3 faster siblings readily available by nVIDIA.
    If Vega fails to contend with the Ti ( proper sentence would be "fails to beat nVIDIA's current best", but we're now used to not seeing AMD competing at the very high end ), I can't help but see Volta Titan priced at 1800 to match Intel's Extreme Edition :p

To be honest, anything under 1080 Ti performance on average is a serious fail.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This isn't news, this is a joke. It's wccftech as the "source" FFS.

Because TPU posts this crap looking for page hits it becomes valid? Get real.

The copy pasta is getting out of hand.
    Last edited by madmaxx; 05-08-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    This isn't news, this is a joke. It's wccftech as the "source" FFS.

Because TPU posts this crap looking for page hits it becomes valid? Get real.

The copy pasta is getting out of hand.
    This happens every 6 months for as long as I can remember. You've been here since 2005, you should know this.

I just enjoy the nonsense to be honest, it would be a tad boring without it!
    Last edited by Tim; 05-08-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Mentor
    I saw anything on par with 1080 is a big success and will increase my hopes on AMD's future gpus but while 1070 is not that far away it will be a disaster IMO.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Member
    IMHO if Vega can't sit between GTX1080 and GT1080Ti it will be a failure. Even if it's dirt cheap...

GP106: 200mm2 16nm
    GP104: 314mm2 16nm
    GP102: 471mm2 16nm

Polaris: 232mm2 14nm... So Vega at least between 400/440mm2 on 14nm? If the architecture is the same as Polaris, it can only compete with GTX1070/1080. Architeture wise it's crap. ty perf/watt, ty perf/mm2...

Here's hoping for GTX1080Ti performance.

Edit:

Oh, and it takes AMD 5700M transistors to compete with nVidia's 4400M GP106. GCN needs to change...
    Last edited by Andi64; 05-09-2017 at 05:12 AM.
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

Xtreme Mentor
    Now as Fugger said we know that it is 2.5 so the question is what will be the clock?

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Now as Fugger said we know that it is 2.5 so the question is what will be the clock?
    I think he meant it was 2.5 inches long. Very very small GPU. Yessah.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    I think he meant it was 2.5 inches long. Very very small GPU. Yessah.
    core or the card?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    not to re-drege old news, but recall when amd showed off the prototype vega, but put tape over the power input?
    They forgot to cover the psu
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi64 View Post
    Oh, and it takes AMD 5700M transistors to compete with nVidia's 4400M GP106. GCN needs to change...
    Yeah, GCN is changing for the better.
    Nvidia's Volta will bring a more GCN-like architecture to their non-enthusiast level cards.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    To be honest, anything under 1080 Ti performance on average is a serious fail.
    So Nvidia failed with GP102 because it has less than 1080Ti performance on average?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    So Nvidia failed with GP102 because it has less than 1080Ti performance on average?
    Not a good argument. GP102 set the performance bar when it was released and was very successfull. A year ago. The market has changed and the 1080 is no longer the top teir; 3rd teir at best. The Volta, despite its initial market target, won't do well if it can't compete with NVIDIA's flagship.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    not to re-drege old news, but recall when amd showed off the prototype vega, but put tape over the power input?
    They forgot to cover the psu
    Many power supplies have 1 cable that splits into 2 outputs, or you could have splitters behind the mobo tray. So it's hardly conclusive, this on the other hand: https://videocardz.com/66239/what-we-know-about-vega

Xtreme Addict
    Not a good argument. GP102 set the performance bar when it was released and was very successfull. A year ago. The market has changed and the 1080 is no longer the top teir; 3rd teir at best. The Volta, despite its initial market target, won't do well if it can't compete with NVIDIA's flagship.
    Funny. Let's talk again when Vega is out.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Blayne Curtis – Barclays Capital, Inc:
    And then just moving to the gaming GPU side, I was just wondering if you can just talk about the competitive landscape looking back at the last refresh. And then looking forward into the back half of this year, I think your competitors have a new platform. I’m just curious as to your thoughts as to how the share worked out on the previous refresh and then the competitiveness into the second half of this year.

Jen-Hsun Huang – NVIDIA Corp: My assessment is that the competitive position is not going to change.
    Link

Looks like Huang isn't afraid of what Vega will bring. That's not good for us consumers.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Link

Looks like Huang isn't afraid of what Vega will bring. That's not good for us consumers.
    What is he going to say? Vega will be super competitive with our products and will force us to re-align our lineup?
    Of course he is going to say what he said, or else he wouldn't be CEO.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    What is he going to say? Vega will be super competitive with our products and will force us to re-align our lineup?
    Of course he is going to say what he said, or else he wouldn't be CEO.
    Not really. If he loses credibility as a CEO, he loses investors. He can lie but the truth will come out and a lot of money will leave Nvidia or any corporation that loses their investor's trust. Huang will be booted pretty fast.

These questions are generally anticipated. You can bet Nvidia was ready to answer Vega performance questions and there is a lot of NVidia man hours behind that statement.

If Nvidia thought Vega was going to compete, this question would have received a political answer where its talked around or he down plays raw performance and tries to sell something like efficiency, price, or some other cool factor that no one really cares about over raw performance.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Addict
    Not really. If he loses credibility as a CEO, he loses investors. He can lie but the truth will come out and a lot of money will leave Nvidia or any corporation that loses their investor's trust. Huang will be booted pretty fast.

These questions are generally anticipated. You can bet Nvidia was ready to answer Vega performance questions and there is a lot of NVidia man hours behind that statement.

If Nvidia thought Vega was going to compete, this question would have received a political answer where its talked around or he down plays raw performance and tries to sell something like efficiency, price, or some other cool factor that no one really cares about over raw performance.
    LoL... Okkk.... That's not how the game is played.
    Edit- Not to mention he did give a very political answer.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 05-10-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast