Thread: [News] id Software Talks AMD Ryzen, Hints at Heavily Optimized New Game Engine

[News] id Software Talks AMD Ryzen, Hints at Heavily Optimized New Game Engine

https://www.techpowerup.com/232739/i...ew-game-engine

id Software, the pioneering game studio behind "Doom" and "Quake," in a marketing video about how its developers and gamers are benefiting from AMD Ryzen processors, hinted that it is working on a new next-generation game engine that succeeds idTech 6, which is heavily optimized for AMD Ryzen processors. id CTO Robert Duffy spoke at length about how Ryzen is putting more CPU capabilities in the hands of gamers at attractive price-points, which is letting game developers add that much more content and production design that benefits from this level of parallelism and performance.

The most interesting part about Duffy's comment comes later in the video, where he talks about a new game engine that id is working on, which will be "far more parallel than idTech 6" (far more multi-core and multi-thread friendly), and that it will be able to consume "all of the CPU [compute power] that Ryzen can offer." Duffy also confirmed that "Quake Champions," the studio's upcoming online hero-based FPS, will be optimized for both Ryzen and Radeon Vega.

Xtreme Member
    doesn't really matter if all they use the engine for is narrow hallway stile maps the game could probably do over 100fps on a pentium
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Mentor
    Someone has to stop this. Games are optimized for gpus. And it is not enough for new games game profiles are released. Now this jumped to cpu!!! How long will it take us to see cpu profiles for games?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    Someone has to stop this. Games are optimized for gpus. And it is not enough for new games game profiles are released. Now this jumped to cpu!!! How long will it take us to see cpu profiles for games?
    I disagree. I read this is to mean Ryzen offers mainstream octocores so they're augmenting the engine to accommodate more threads - not necessarily that it's highly optimized for the Ryzen logic (though I'm sure there's some cache optimization).

That's a great thing! I want every game engine from here on out to support at least 4 threads. 8 would be preferable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Stop processing more realism into games? You're right, graphics tend to be optimized and limited to the current GPU capabilities. But don't forget CPU threads such as AI, physics, and other non-graphic parts of a game engine are also limited to the capability of modern CPU. Sure most modern games, even if they were able to be threaded 16 times, won't ever need that many cores because AI is simple, physics are canned, etc... But as CPU threads and performance becomes more available game engines are able to do more and we may start seeing multiple complex AI personalities that can actually critical think and future elder scrolls games may start having towns with more than 5 people who speak more than 10 lines of dialoug...

So pray tell me, stop what?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Mentor
    X86 x64 directx opengl they are all well defined standarts. So stop doing custom solutions for every product which should have been implemented the same standart.

AliG if it is like what you said I can understand that but then why to emphasis ryzen?

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Guru
    AliG if it is like what you said I can understand that but then why to emphasis ryzen?
    I think it's because Ryzen offers mainstream octocores. Just being realistic, how many people can actually afford a 6950X - or even a 6900K?

Intel's mainstream gaming CPU is still a quadcore, and so there really wasn't much reason to add more threading prior to this.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    X86 x64 directx opengl they are all well defined standarts. So stop doing custom solutions for every product which should have been implemented the same standart.

They are not "well defined" to the point where you can code a generic game that runs well on Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and ATI all at the same time. Its not that simple. If you want that kind of simple, get a game council.

Why optimize Ryzen? Well, once upon a time, 8 and 10 core processors were cost prohibitive for most gamers. Now that 6+ cores are mainstream, why not take advantage? Intel will have to launch 6+ core mainsteram processors eventually to compete.

I think some companies are trying to get ahead of the curve. 4 core 8 thread processors are not going to be the gaming baseline in the next coming years.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 04-27-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    They are not "well defined" to the point where you can code a generic game that runs well on Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and ATI all at the same time. Its not that simple. If you want that kind of simple, get a game council.

Why optimize Ryzen? Well, once upon a time, 8 and 10 core processors were cost prohibitive for most gamers. Now that 6+ cores are mainstream, why not take advantage? Intel will have to launch 6+ core mainsteram processors eventually to compete.

I think some companies are trying to get ahead of the cure. 4 core 8 thread processors are not going to be the gaming baseline in the next coming years.
    I actually think the game engines don't have to differentiate too much between architectures. The driver's really are where a lot of that implementation is supposed to happen.
    DX12 of course is a different beast.

I think it's fair game to bias the design towards the product more likely to be used, however. I.e. you might find a few instruction sets or a caching implementation favors Intel and Nvidia just because of their market presence.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I actually think the game engines don't have to differentiate too much between architectures. The driver's really are where a lot of that implementation is supposed to happen.
    DX12 of course is a different beast.

I think it's fair game to bias the design towards the product more likely to be used, however. I.e. you might find a few instruction sets or a caching implementation favors Intel and Nvidia just because of their market presence.
    I agree, but as Ashes of Singularity and Total War shows, there are optimizations to be made for Ryzen. But I think the bigger changes with the release of Ryzen is games will actually start coding for 8 cores and expand mostly AI. Hopefully the next Elder Scrolls have more immersive environments and cities/towns with dynamic AI.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I disagree. I read this is to mean Ryzen offers mainstream octocores so they're augmenting the engine to accommodate more threads - not necessarily that it's highly optimized for the Ryzen logic (though I'm sure there's some cache optimization).

That's a great thing! I want every game engine from here on out to support at least 4 threads. 8 would be preferable.
    That has been an argument for a long time, but since 2004 AI and physics have actually gotten worse in AAA games. I don't think any game has had as good of AI and physics as HL2 or FEAR, and that was when dual core CPUs were just becoming mainstream. I think putting this into games is not worth the costs and most people don't care that much about it.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    That has been an argument for a long time, but since 2004 AI and physics have actually gotten worse in AAA games. I don't think any game has had as good of AI and physics as HL2 or FEAR, and that was when dual core CPUs were just becoming mainstream. I think putting this into games is not worth the costs and most people don't care that much about it.
    I don't agree there.

For example, Alyx way improved as an AI for Episode 1, and even further for Episode 2. Same thing is true about the usefulness of Marines in Halo 1 vs Halo Reach. And I think the Doom 2016 physics are pretty sweet considering how light the computational load is.

Some AAA games are basically just movies and don't really offer much in the way of gameplay. But to claim physics has gotten worse is just not true.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Disagree, I am sure developers are very very happy 6-core and 8-core systems will now become the "afforable default" because of Ryzen.
    Creating a realistic world for the player, with advanced AI and physics is every devs aim, and CPU has always been the bottleneck.
    Last edited by Ursus; 04-29-2017 at 06:43 AM.