Thread: [News] Netflix 4K on PCs requires Kaby Lake, Windows 10, and Edge

[News] Netflix 4K on PCs requires Kaby Lake, Windows 10, and Edge

http://hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visua...ndows-10-edge/

While you can currently stream Netflix 4K content on various consumer TVs and set top boxes, broadband connection permitting, it hasn't been available via Windows until now. However the ability to stream Netflix in 4K on Windows PCs isn't going to be widespread right now, due to the particular system requirements detailed by Microsoft.

As the Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, premieres on 25th November in glorious Ultra HD, many of us will be left out in the cold confines of 1080p because our PCs don't match up to the required spec. Microsoft states on its blog post that the following specs are required:

• A 7th Gen Intel Core (Kaby Lake) processor
    • Windows 10
    • Microsoft Edge
    • A 4K screen, of course
    • A Netflix subscription with access to Ultra HD content
    How can various Smart TVs, the Amazon Fire TV, Roku 4, Chromecast Ultra, and Nvidia Shield devices play this Netflix 4K content but not PCs with pre-Kaby Lake processors? Obviously it's not to do with the power on tap in modern PCs. According to Ars Technica the issue is mainly to do with DRM?

Microsoft's Edge browser supports PlayReady DRM, the choice of Netflix for protecting its 4K content. No other PC browser supports this. Looking at the Kaby Lake requirement, the GPU in Kaby Lake supports hardware decoding of 10-bit HEVC video. Skylake only supports 8-bit HEVC, so it's not up to scratch for this narrow Netflix content purpose.

Xtreme Addict
    Amd Nvidia/Ati -3dmark06 scorebord revisted

asus L1N64-ws or /b depending on bios chip
    4x1gig 8500 gkill bpk
    2x opteron 8224 @ 3.8ghz
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=236
    vga= 8800gt
    winxp pro

custom chiller -31 water
    2x dtek fuzions
    bix3-with x3panaflo hi output
    antec 850 quattro

heat under msimax abitmax and dfimax

Xtreme Mentor
    Have a 4k monitor, can buy a kaby lake and using windows... but EDGE NOWAAAY!!!!!

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

I am Xtreme
    When monopolists get together...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I remember seeing that in order to get 1080p to begin with you had to be using IE, sure enough I did put it to the test and the picture did seem to be better using IE over FF and the throughput through my Wi-Fi was higher.

So If i don't want to use my Ps4 I have Netflix bookmarked in IE and iRacing, as I had problems with that in FF.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything