Thread: [News] Samsung to build next-gen Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC

[News] Samsung to build next-gen Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/99313...ragon-835-soc/

Qualcomm has today announced that it is collaborating with Samsung Foundry to build its next-generation mobile system-on-chip (SoC) processor.

This new SoC, productised as Snapdragon 835, is now the company's flagship processor that is destined to go into premium handsets early next year, most likely found in devices at the Mobile World Congress show in late February. The incumbent, Snapdragon 820/821, is found in over 200 design wins.

The Samsung announcement is newsworthy because the Snapdragon 835 represents the first mobile SoC build on a leading-edge 10nm FinFET process. Though details of the next-generation SoC have yet to be revealed, the move to a small process will lead to inevitable gains in efficiency and die space.
    Putting some meat on the bones, Samsung?s 10nm technology allows up to a 30 per cent increase in area efficiency with 27 per cent higher performance or up to 40 per cent lower power consumption when compared to extant 14nm parts.

?We are excited to continue working together with Samsung in developing products that lead the mobile industry,? said Keith Kressin, senior vice president, product management, Qualcomm Technologies. Inc.

?Using the new 10nm process node is expected to allow our premium tier Snapdragon 835 processor to deliver greater power efficiency and increase performance while also allowing us to add a number of new capabilities that can improve the user experience of tomorrow?s mobile devices.?

i wounder if this move might get samsung a deal on licensing CMDA modems for the enyox parts. the galaxy phones would have a huge performance gain in the US if they could do that so VZW does not nerf all of them.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    specs wont be announced until 2017, just a wee bit lame, as well as the metals and lithography process, granted much of that is classified but investigating materials used when nodes change is my geek joy
    Last edited by verndewd; 11-19-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Bachelor of Science in Music Production 2016, Mid 2012 mack book Pro i7 2.6 8gb ram Nvidia 250m 1gb . Pro Tools , Logic X, Presonus one, Reaper, Garage Band. Cubase, Cakewalk.