Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [News/Rumor] AMD Zen - 16 CPU threads at $300 [Update: Jan 17 Launch]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hell ali i had no idea , been out of touch since forever with college. so that was last year. did they pay for intel stuff or did they come up with their own? and since when Ali, from what im reading here they just now with zen caught up to intel. I dont know if youre mistaking me but E.G on an i 7 quad core it shows as 8 cpus in task manager, apparently AMD just stepped into that arena? from what i have read that is, maybe should have said threads.
    how have you been man?
    Last edited by verndewd; 11-21-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    Bachelor of Science in Music Production 2016, Mid 2012 mack book Pro i7 2.6 8gb ram Nvidia 250m 1gb . Pro Tools , Logic X, Presonus one, Reaper, Garage Band. Cubase, Cakewalk.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That sounds reasonable, But the claim is being on equal footing with intel. So maybe Zen + will be the flagship release? 2017 release of 16 physical cores = 32 threads, probably wont be cheap. IPC just behind skylake and clocks are comparable to intel. im not sure anyone can say right off the bat it wont meet performance guidlines, I think thats a bit premature.
    Last edited by verndewd; 11-21-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    Bachelor of Science in Music Production 2016, Mid 2012 mack book Pro i7 2.6 8gb ram Nvidia 250m 1gb . Pro Tools , Logic X, Presonus one, Reaper, Garage Band. Cubase, Cakewalk.

Xtreme Guru
    Hey Vern!

Zen is an entirely new AMD design that reverted from CMT to their own version of SMT. So we can now directly compare cores and threads (whereas before 1 AMD module = 1 Intel core). AMD claims IPC wise it'll be competitive with Intel, but so far we haven't seen anything with high enough clocks yet. My guess is the reason why the first gen 8 core will be at $300 is purely because of clockspeed and desire to get marketshare.

But again, I'm curious to see how it does against the 6700k. If the chip is truly $300, that will be it's direct competitor. Depending on how well the application is threaded, it could either be a steal - or a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123