Thread: Max Internal SATA Hard Disk capacity for Asus mobo P5Q

Max Internal SATA Hard Disk capacity for Asus mobo P5Q

i have old asus P5Q mobo and Internal SATA Hard Disk are installed with the size of 1TB (boot) 2x1.5TB (slave) 1x2TB

i want to know what could be the max HD capacity i can use on this mobo. can i use 4 5 or 6 TB - if not then what will be the max size i can use.

it should be able to support even a 10tb hdd.

i want to install additional new HD for data without any partition.
    bootable is a separate HD of 1TB
    so; mean to say, other than the bootable, i can install additional HD of any size 4/6/8/10TB SATA without making any partition but i have to format it using GPT
    i'm using Win-10 - if i plug new SATA HD of size 6 or 8 TB, then windows will deduct it and will give me option to format with GPT

anything above 2tb use GPT.

thanks for your help. i have windows 10 64 bit and i am planning to buy new HD of 8TB or 10TB for data (not for bootable) - i'm not willing to make any partition.

you should also be able to make a raid array up to 32GB and a smaller raid partition of under 2TB to boot to since they detect as different disks.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

i assume that you are thinking that i want to install bootable.
    i am using c: 1TB NTFS as a bootable.
    also have d: 2TB NTFS.
    i want to replace my d: 2TB NTFS to 4TB or 5TB or 6TB
    i read here that formatting such big HD using GPT will work on this mobo asus p5q (processor is Q6600)- and this is what i want to confirm before buying it.
    i can afford 4, 5 or 6TB HD but can't get new rig.
    also note that i'm going to save mostly big ISO files of games (some are +50 GB) and will convert my blurays and save on this d: drive (movies might b 4 - 10GB each)
    now play confirm if i can really install such big HD

i want to install additional new HD for data without any partition.
    bootable is a separate HD of 1TB
    so; mean to say, other than the bootable, i can install additional HD of any size 4/6/8/10TB SATA without making any partition but i have to format it using GPT
    i'm using Win-10 - if i plug new SATA HD of size 6 or 8 TB, then windows will deduct it and will give me option to format with GPT