Thread: [News] Researchers break multi-core CPU bottleneck

[News] Researchers break multi-core CPU bottleneck

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/98668...pu-bottleneck/

Researchers from Intel and at North Carolina State University have been looking into the problem of sub-optimal communication between microprocessor cores. The last decade has seen chipmakers shift strategy from faster-and-faster to more-and-more cores in search of performance improvements. Dual-core and quad-core chips have shown great benefits in modern PCs and devices, however scaling beyond to 8, 10, 16, or more cores provides diminishing returns. Worse still, poorly optimised software can lead to further speed-impacting hotspots on multi-core processors.

The problem is down to the need for the CPU cores to communicate with each other to work in concert - but this process brings significant overhead with the proliferation of cores, explains a recent report published by IEEE Spectrum.

One possible solution, devised by Intel and at NC State scientists, is moving the software queue to hardware. As explained in the above linked report, "This effectively turned three multistep software-queue operations into three simple instructions: Add data to the queue, take data from the queue, and put data close to where it's going to be needed next." In practical use a hardware queue management device (QMD) noticeably sped up tasks using data processing simulations. With QMD more cores show stronger gains ? a 16 core CPU with QMD performed 20 times faster, for example. Furthermore, as the QMD is capable of simple computational functions it can aggregate data from multiple cores, expediting some basic computational functions.

Xtreme Guru
    I actually believed for a while that hardware queue scheduling is the way to go. I just don't think most software coders have a clue about how hardware works, and end up either make threads for the sake of threads (which actually can be slower depending on how things are cached and parsed between cores), or get lazy and make only two-four threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans