Thread: [News] Homeland security looks at Internet of Things

[News] Homeland security looks at Internet of Things

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/wearabl...rnet-of-things

The Obama administration has ordered Homeland Security to come up with a cunning plan to make the Internet of Things devices more secure after a huge DoS attack on major websites.

Twitter, Spotify, Netflix and dozens of other major websites were taken down by botnets built from compromised Internet of Things devices.

Homeland Security said it had held a conference call with 18 major communication service providers shortly after the attack began and was working to develop a new set of ?strategic principles? for securing internet-connected devices.

DHS said its National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Centre was working with companies, law enforcement and researchers to cope with attacks made possible by the rapidly expanding number of smart gadgets that make up the Internet of Things.

Already two manufacturers whose devices had been hijacked for the attack pledged Monday to try to fix them. Chinese firm Hangzhou Xiongmai Technology, which makes components for surveillance cameras, said it would recall some products from the United States. Dahua Technology, acknowledged that some of its older cameras and video recorders were vulnerable to attacks when users had not changed the default passwords. Like Xiongmai, it said it would offer firmware updates on its website to fix the problem and would give discounts to customers who wanted to exchange their gear.

But the fear is that the majority of IoT devices are never going to be fixed because it would cost manufactures too much.

Basically they have to be issued with better passwords, mechanisms for updates and some onboard security. This is somewhat a lot to ask of a lightbulb.

What is possible is that the manufacturers could agree on some unified software and insist on better standards.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow good job <insertcurrentadministrationhere> on being totally on top of that IoT thing! It's not lot you guys waited until there was already a major botnet exploiting these things before you acted . . .

oh wait, never mind.

Seriously does anyone think anyone's Presidential administration will be on top of this? No! Tech-savvy people just don't run for office, and they seldom know whom to bring into their administrations to take care of these problems. They're too busy surrounding themselves with cronies, career political hacks, and lawyers. Meanwhile Mirai is already running amok. The idea that any President - lame-duck Obama or otherwise - will somehow solve this problem is a joke. Plus they don't have control over the IoT device vendors in China and elsewhere producing all this buggy-arsed vulnerable firmware that makes Mirai possible in the first place.

Maybe if they imposed import restrictions on known-vulnerable devices we'd be okay, but that would start a firestorm of complaints.

Xtreme Guru
    *shrug*

I still think IoT is pretty self-flattering title. Nearly half the things I use are connected to the internet now - this isn't a new technology. I'm sure the defense department will appropriately respond (just on a traditional government timeline, so you know, 10 years late).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans