Thread: [News] USB Type-C to hit the ground running next year

[News] USB Type-C to hit the ground running next year

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/41773-u...ning-next-year

A report said that 60 million smartphones with USB Type-C ports will ship this year. But adoption will really take off from next year on.

According to ABI Research, because USB Type-C will transmit data, power and audio over one wire, by 2021 shipments will hit 830 million, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 69.1 percent between 2016 and then.

Analyst Jeff Orr said: ?All indications are that the supply chain is well on its way to delivering this vision. The focus is now shifting to device and system OEMs to broadly implement Type-C in their products.?

USB Type-C support USB 3.1 and while vendors like Samsung, Huawei and HTC have already shipped phones using this standard, there are still limited numbers of peripherals.

ABI believes that in the long run Android smartphone vendors will ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack and use the Type-C connector. A move means quick charge will increase.

type-c is a still a long way from being good for the mainstream. i cannot buy cables or chargers without a bunch of research then testing them to make sure they wont damage my device, and companies like LG and HTC are shipping type b 3.0 ports with a type C jack (thanks qualcomm for quick charge that lets you have fake type C.) those quick charge accessories are not even against spec and should be banned for sale; they have more demand so accessory companies are making them instead of on spec ones.

it is so bad that google makes a big deal about only using type C compliant accessories, but the type C 3A charger they ship stock is not in spec since it is not a smart charger and jut shoves 3A into everything that will take it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Technically, a power source can never "shove" current into anything. The device has to draw it. Voltage is pushed, current is drawn
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Technically, a power source can never "shove" current into anything. The device has to draw it. Voltage is pushed, current is drawn
    you got me there, but what would you call it when an out of spec type c charger is accidentally plugged into a powered hub or computer port and it trys to power it. that is what almost every type C charger does not even thought the spec basically says no dumb chargers and type A to C cables need a resistor to ID the maximum amperage rating.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi