Thread: System Restarts By PSU Cutting Energy.

Xtreme Mentor

System Restarts By PSU Cutting Energy.

I have an interesting problem and not sure where to post but as it is started after getting a 980ti and happens when gpu is working I decided to write it here. But not sure if it gpu related or not.

Ok my system is 3770k @4.5ghz with +0.1v (1.256v) 4x4gb ram p8z77v-pro 850w fsp and zotac amp extreme 980ti. Before I have a 7970 ghz lightning and 280x crossfire with corsair hx850.

I first noticed the problem at Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 game. When game starts and first graphics appears after less then 1 second system suddenly shuts itself totally (psu shuts too) and restarts it self automatically. I can repeat it with this game but no other games that I play recently makes this happen (MPSV, Witcher3, et.). Also I discovered that can repeat this by fire strike ultra graphics test 1 (not 2 it works fine) and kombustor gpu burn first test "furry pqtorus" (others are ok). All with same pattern graphics appear and less then 1 second psu shuts it self down.

I normally suspected psu after some trials and changed hx850 with a fsp 850. Everything is ok after this for a while. Until I decided to oc my 980ti after 3 months. Before it was at stock speeds of amp extreme. I juiced it with +50mv and it starts doing that problem again (with fire strike 1 and kombuster gpu burn test 1 again). I of course try default settings but it can't run stock too. Now the most unfortunate thing in here is I don't know if it run ok before. Yes 3 months before it all passed these tests but never used one of them during this time period.

I set cpu to default setting again no go. Tried everything I can imagine again no go.

Then I decided to run with two psu. Used my hx850 for only 980ti but system stuck and it didn't booted to windows again. I reinstall windows and it started to work with the same problem. So I take 980ti to my friend who has 1200w psu it ran ok there. Bring it back to home same problem.

After a while I noticed that a pci-e power cable is not fit in the slot well. I plug it again and everything started to work perfectly even cpu @ 4.5 ghz again. I ran system with "furry pqtorso" and prime95 small fft for an hour and everthing gone right. I even oced 980ti a little bit without more v to gpu. This was this saturday.

Before continuing I want to say while I was happy at that time I knew this problem can't be explained by just a not well plug cable because I removed and pluged them at least 3 times and I am sure I can't make this mistake 3 times in a row. So while happy I still expected the problem again.

And yesterday while I run the test again (cpu 4.5ghz gpu stock) problem started again. This time I first ran Prime95 then pqtorso. I set stock settings for cpu and it happend again but this time with a minor change. When I ran pqtorso I noticed that this time system does not shuts it self after lest then 1 second but it runs for a while (15 - 20 seconds) with like 1fps. From afterburner I see that gpu usage is like %10.

So I decided to set -50mv to cpu but this time again less then 1 second. +50mv again less then 1 second but @ default volt 1fps run for a while. This was the pattern yesterday. Today even stock volt shut less then 1 second. So I again tried the second psu (learn lesson??? I don't think so, I am an engineer ). I connected it and run the test BAM. This time it worked fine for a while. But screens goes off (sorry I forgot got a 4k and 1080p mon) after a while. But this time only screens goes off system still runs without any problem as I clearly detected. I restarted the system first windows logo of win 10 appeared but after a while only a white bar on a black bacground left on the screen. I tried it with 1 psu only same. No login screen but beside that system works ok.

I removed the 980ti and cut the power of the psu. And left for dinner. After 3 hours I came back to home and plug 980ti with one psu to the system. This time system works and I can see windows. Just the font on the chrome was a little blurry. I restarted system again and and chrome fonts became ok too.

Now the strange thing is now again everything is ok just like last saturday .

Pls help me!!! I can't identify if it is related to 980ti, motherboardi psu or even cpu.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor
    ok an update. I solved double psu (by connecting their grounds. It was ok to just connect green cables at old times) and now it works fine. Now it is certain that I have a power problem but 850w psu is not enough for a 980ti ???? this is strange.

i had a 980Ti SLI + 5820K on a EVGA 850W PSU, all with slight overclock...
    did not experience any issue at all...

Xtreme Mentor
    Mine is a power monster I suppose we need a nuclear plant to feed this. Today I started my tests with 2 psu. With 2 psu it is ok but the lamp feeding from the same electric plug dims when I start kombustor. Also dims and bursts in a high frequency when running fire strike 4k. What the hell is this card draws....

Xtreme Mentor
    ok everytihng is clear now. i found that it is because of a bad electric cabling. voltage drops to 160 (default 220) when i push computer to the limit. restarts was because psu was protecting it self. got an online 3kva ups connect it to a better plug which does not drop under 200. this adventure is over now i can yse my system happily. also i can oc my 980ti to 1480 stable with power is stabilized .