Thread: Blizzard is ditching the ?Battle.net? name

Blizzard is ditching the ?Battle.net? name

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthe...ttle-net-name/

Blizzard first launched Battle.net around twenty years ago and over the years, the platform has grown to encompass more games. However, it looks like it is time for change, which is why Blizzard announced today that it will be transitioning away from the Battle.net name, with plans to replace it entirely soon.

In the future, Blizzard will be referring to Battle.net as ?Blizzard Tech?, a change that was prompted by new services like ?Blizzard Streaming? and ?Blizzard Voice?.
    In an update post, Blizzard explained its reasoning: ?When we created Battle.net, the idea of including a tailored online-gaming service together with your game was more of a novel concept, so we put a lot of focus on explaining what the service was and how it worked, including giving it a distinct name. Over time, though, we?ve seen that there?s been occasional confusion and inefficiencies related to having two separate identities under which everything falls?Blizzard and Battle.net.?

?Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn?t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.?

This change will be happening over the next few months so don?t expect to wake up tomorrow and find Battle.net renamed. However, perhaps the change will be put into place before the end of this year.

NooB MOD
    I'm not a major fan of changes to household names. It worked fine when, for example, Google renamed Android Market to Google Play. Android was not a household operating system yet with Symbian and Blackberry still occupying a fairly significant chunk of the market, and Android Market was not an everyday term. Changing the name of a 20 year old brand with millions of daily users (12 million as of 2004, so probably several dozen millions by now) doesn't gel well with me. It's like Apple or BMW deciding they want to change name - meh.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I agree, I mean what's the point? Although, I guess by doing Blizzard Tech their garnering some name recognition or something?

nothing last forever... lolol