Thread: Dual WAN

Xtreme Cruncher

Dual WAN

Hi guys.
    My ISP basically sucks. Since it's being paid by my gf's dad I can't say much. I was considering to hire a second ISP and make use of a dual wan router.

is there a chance of adding speeds of them ( in say "linux iso torrenting")?

Which models do you recommend?

I saw this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linksys-Cisc...4AAOSwNSxU-JTM

how

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ASUS-RT-...kAAOSwOVpXYkma

I need something that's reliable and that I could easily setup.

Regards

J
    Last edited by Duh; 09-21-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

you need a bonding switch not a dual wan router and your isp or VPN, so you will not see any benefit from that cisco box since it is for fail over. normally for bonded networks they ether need to be supported by the ISP (they should have a bonding box for you to rent but it can be a pain to get them to give you the equipment) or you have to vpn and use duplexing on a failover/load balancing switch.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    Hey man. Saw this suggested in YT ( I saw some of linus vids before) . Will check it out now.

Appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you need a bonding switch not a dual wan router and your isp or VPN, so you will not see any benefit from that cisco box since it is for fail over. normally for bonded networks they ether need to be supported by the ISP (they should have a bonding box for you to rent but it can be a pain to get them to give you the equipment) or you have to vpn and use duplexing on a failover/load balancing switch.

I'm not proficient in networks. I want the following:
    to sum both connection speeds in the apps/protocols that allow it and also if one of the two ISP's go down to have a single one up and not notice it.

my isp wont rent me anything :P
    Last edited by Duh; 09-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post

I'm not proficient in networks. I want the following:
    to sum both connection speeds in the apps/protocols that allow it and also if one of the two ISP's go down to have a single one up and not notice it.

my isp wont rent me anything :P
    then it wont work, watch the video stym linked it will explain it. the main gist is that your isp should have equipment that will let you do it. it is not a normal service so you might have to go to the biz support to get it, and it will not work between isps or accounts so i would just not think about it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Cruncher
    Appreciate it guys.
    Had a "chat" with the gf and she does not approve wasting money into two connections and just allowed me to upgrade.
    I have 10/1.5 (unmetered) and if this sh* worked like it should ( this precise provider) I'd consider and upgrade.. Thing is that better plans have a cap and there is only a second ISP at the building also with caps+more expensive. As a third ( and non realistic approach): we have fibre in the neighborhood but I can't really justify nor pay it :/ .
    I've seen 3 msecs from such providers to cloudflare which has a POP at level3 Bs As ...

i'm using Asus RT-N66U for dual WAN and it works great

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Would a offense or similar build meet POp's needs since it offers load balancing and as many want ports as you want?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Would a offense or similar build meet POp's needs since it offers load balancing and as many want ports as you want?
    Sorry I don't follow you

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    he wanted them bonded so he could get more bandwidth not load balanced for more than one user. without an external server you wont get that from load balancing.