Thread: Is delidding IHS of AMD Vishera FX-4300 even worth it (temperature- and OC-wise) ???

Is delidding IHS of AMD Vishera FX-4300 even worth it (temperature- and OC-wise) ???

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a AMD FX-4300 Vishera for a couple of bucks to bypass the time until Zen and especially Vega comes out for a completely new rig.

Due my watercooling-system I always delidded my CPUs to ensure ideal heat transition from the DIE to the cooling-block
    All of these CPUs were connected with thermal compound to the IHS - so, no problem with the delidding due to soldered DIEs.

Now AMD Vishera-CPUs ARE solded - the question for me is now, does delidding a solded CPU bring you even a significant improvement temperature- and OC-wise?

So, is the risk worth it?

If not so, I wouldn't even bother and skip the whole trouble...

Xtreme Addict
    You could try but you'll have to put it in the oven at the perfect temp and have quick hands, etc.
    If you have a spare cpu, and this cpu only cost a few $'s, then sure go for it.

But..., you're not gonna get much out of that cpu anyways, it's only a dual core you know... (oui stupid amd how many times have I typed this?..., 2x fpu's, 4x alu or whatever it was called).

In general I wouldn't "expect" more then 50-100mhz +.
    You could possibly get higher though depending on just how badly the ihs is on there to begin with.

Why shouldn't I get much from a dual core?
    As if a octa core has more oc-potential

Xtreme Addict
    I didn't mean more or less oc, just that it's not gonna gain you much for general use.
    If it were an 8 core amd, then sure why not..., but I don't know why you would waste your time otherwise.
    But then again, if it's cheap enough, and you know enough about the process of heating it up to the right temp without killing it to get it's lid off, then go for it, have fun you know .

I'm just trying to say if you're thinking that it would help for a game or some benchmark, that core is just not worth anything/much ^^.
    Overclocks are great and all, it's like me taking a k62-350 and trying to play gtasa on it, even if it's at 1ghz it's still gonna run pretty badly.

If this were a 8320 or something, then you would end up with something respectable, it may not be the best but it's the best of amd so...

I'm not trying to say price = respectable hardware, what I am saying is umm..., if you start with a crappy cpu you're gonna end with a crappy cpu no matter how you clock it.

The 8320 is 20-30 diff, some places 2x but it's maxed at $130, seems you can get them for $100 though.
    The 4300, it's $80.
    If you could get that thing for like $5 I'de go for it.
    After you're done with it, resell it with a pc and make a little money off it.

I'de hate to point this out to ya but the pentium g3240 is cheaper lol.
    Hmm the 2500k is still up there in price, $90.

In my opinion it's a throw away cpu, (I mean you throw it at your buddies and stuff..., play hacky sack, whenever it's not in use).
    If it's cheap, and you wanna have fun with it, go for it, if you're trying to get it to run something better it's not gonna happen lol.

Also if you're oc'ing these amd am3+'s, make sure you have a good board, I don't think that really needs a mention but still.
    That little cpu won't use much power but it's better to be safe then sorry.

I wouldn't fuss with de-lidding, and I would suggest paying the extra $5 for the FX-4350 (8Mb L3 versus 4Mb L3). BUT ...

The week of manufacture is likely as important. Chips baked from mid-2014 forward tend to OC higher with less volts. With good water and the blessing of the Chip Gods, 5GHz would not be uncommon --- it's up to you (and your mobo) just how far you want to push it.

My FX-6350 settled-in nicely at 4.7GHz (GB 970 UD3P) with 1.3625v, C&Q and a Cooler Master Hyper T4. It was a 42-week of 2014. 4.4GHz @ 1.3v ---- temps were never an issue at either speed, but I did point an 80mm fan at the FETs and CPU socket (really important if you are using H20 cooling).

edit:
    LOL @ Neo. Early bullet-sweating over Zen ?
    Last edited by AbortRetryFail?; 01-27-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    @AbortRetryFail?
    Hehe, lol .
    Not really, but it does look good for them in the future.
    That is if they sell an 8c/16t for $350, but I was thinking that when I thought the highest price was $500 for the special edition whatever it is.

Alot of people aren't gonna pay $700 for a cpu.
    Not when they're used to a max of $300.
    Hopefully it's just a fad, like the 9590 at $800 or whatever it was at 1st.

One person I know is on a 8320, and he thinks zen is crap already, I told him it should be 2x faster.
    The other dude I know is waiting to upgrade from some sort of amd cpu, and he's just waiting on zen, it's because I always built amd rigs for him.
    He never thought about intel.
    He's half indian and gets money for that, he might beable to afford it, but my other buddy won't.

I think 8 cores / 16t would be good for CEMU, and of course several other things.