Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto cascade refrigeration system

Smile auto cascade refrigeration system

hello, i am john from China, and i am in industry of ultra low temperature freezer. if there is someone in the same job with me? really hope to talk about this technology with you guys.

http://a3.qpic.cn/psb?/V14Ps7KJ04CNw...c!&rf=viewer_4

sooooooooooooooooooo quiet

Xtreme Member
    Yeah the forum is pretty much dead. I built the first working home built autocascade for overclocking about 12 years ago, I would love to discuss autocascade with you. Do you have skype? My skype is Vibrophil.

I am working on an Autocascade now, I had to run power just for it recently.

I will post when I am fully operational.

A source for gas is the deal breaker for most, do you see gas too?

Charles
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

it is really great to get your message, maybe my English is not very good, just forgive that. er.... for my skype is johnzx001, my email is johnzx001@hotmail.com

yeah, the core of autocascade refrigeration is the gas i think, i read a lot of thread in this forum, especially from mytek, that guy work for polycold before, at present, i make autocascade freezer -40~-135C , not for cpu overclocking, but basically , they are the same technology. Because of some political reasons, i can not google twitter or facebook, do you know what i mean, i mean it is difficult for me to get more information about this technology. and i like this forum, because of you guys who can share your ideals and experiment. But it seems that the forum is not alive as before,,,sadness

Hello,

I work for a (global) refrigeration company in the Netherlands. we engineer, produce and commision cooling and freezing installations. I do not assemble these machines, only mechanical engineering and 3D design.
    The lowest I have engineered was -50?C using a two stage piston compressor with R507 gas. This was for a scientific experiment which required "extreme" conditions.
    Guess we have some common ground regarding our workplace.

What cooling principle is used for your ultra low temperature freezer?
    Last edited by Raziel; 09-09-2016 at 05:25 AM.

hi Raziel, for autocascade, we use just one compressor and mixed gas for -86c

Xtreme Member
    i think it was you who contacted me on youtube?
    https://youtu.be/8m-cyajujD4?list=PL...kAuVOnQQSGJhRd

i'm going to improve this unit to get higher massflow and holding more load.
    during cool down process the compressor becomes very hot.
    work will be shorten the captube(s), changing the percentage composition (R600a, R1150, R50, R740) or maybe add some R290 and of course a better insulation of the heat exchanger

but first i need another testrun with temperature logging and that is the problem. i don't have enough time.

hi patrickclouds, oh my godness!!! it's really a small world. i meet the same problem like you. I make a -150C LCD screen seperator, the compressor is over heat and just stop working during pulldown. Do you have skype or something like this. hope discuss about it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickclouds View Post
    i think it was you who contacted me on youtube?
    https://youtu.be/8m-cyajujD4?list=PL...kAuVOnQQSGJhRd

i'm going to improve this unit to get higher massflow and holding more load.
    during cool down process the compressor becomes very hot.
    work will be shorten the captube(s), changing the percentage composition (R600a, R1150, R50, R740) or maybe add some R290 and of course a better insulation of the heat exchanger

but first i need another testrun with temperature logging and that is the problem. i don't have enough time.
    hi patrickclouds, oh my godness!!! it's really a small world. i meet the same problem like you. I make a -150C LCD screen seperator, the compressor is over heat and just stop working during pulldown. Do you have skype or something like this. hope discuss about it with you.

Xtreme Member
    my nickname is also my skype name.

I work with a bypass from phase sep gas out to expansion tank when the high pressure passes a defined value. but the problem is the higher the value the larger the pressure ratio for the compressor. thats why the compressor becomes hotter and hotter and finally it halts and the current consumption increases from around 7A-8A to finally 12A.

when I set the bypass pressure to 17 bar the compressor also becomes very hot but it didn't halt. the cooldown is much slower and when I use that bypass function more often (because of the lower bypass value) I have only the low boiling gases in the expansion tank and thats why I am a few Kelvin warmer on the evaporator compared to a cool down prozess with a bypass pressure of 22 bar.

the solution is the mass flow. more mass flow in the cycle for a better cool down means less refrigerant composition in the expansion tank. controllable expansion tank inlet and outlet. shorter captubes or maybe a second captube parallel from the first phase seperator. maybe controlled by solenoid valve. maybe only to cool the auxillary heat exchanger faster or only an after injection for the compressor cooling. or change the captubes with adjustable electronic stepper valves. but here is the question which parameters control the expansion valve. manually, by temperature probes, by pressure, by "superheat" or by fluid level in the phase seperator?

my design:

here is the cool down diagram with bypass pressure value of 19 bar:

and finally the load test (50 watt) diagram. look how long it takes to reach a steady state. so lot of work to do

I am about to bring mine online, I have it in its new home and I will take plenty of pictures when I complete it.

I took this when I took it out of storage, I cleaned it up, re lapped the block straight, built new mounting and insulation.

Test fired and ran power into my office last week. This was rebuilt by Chilly1 and I and gassed by Mytekcontrols from Polycold. It has a modified Polycold blend in it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	132194
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

great fugger, we are looking forward to it

Hey Fugger
    Nice cabinet. The Polycold gases would be difficult for me to acquire here in the Netherlands. Though every "standard"refrigerant would be no problem.
    Some weeks ago I got a small freezer. maybe make a brine or glycol cooler some day soon. just for the heck of it. starting with auto-cascade would be a bit much maybe.

The machine I mentioned before. my brainchild
    '
    Evaporator in a stainless steel jacket
    Stepless variable temperature from 0 to -50 degrees C

Compressor with intermediate liquid injection
    Last edited by Raziel; 09-13-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Holy !

Very nice, braided stainless too.

Gas is pretty easy here, crazy what you can buy on ebay.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    Very nice Raziel, what a beast! Is that a Bitzer?

I too look forward to see your autocascade running FUGGER. You guys and all your money to afford these gasses :P

Quote Originally Posted by aenigma View Post
    Very nice Raziel, what a beast! Is that a Bitzer?

I too look forward to see your autocascade running FUGGER. You guys and all your money to afford these gasses :P

Yeah a Bitzer S4T-5.2, Displacement 1450 RPM 50Hz 12.60 m?/h

Xtreme Member
    Very nice, I could use one of those. Go ahead and ship me one, I wouldn't mind.

The shipping quotes are insane, so pick-up is required. for a mere 8150 dollars this awesome compressor can be yours.
    Think about the amount of ice you could make

Xtreme Member
    Only 8150? Better get out my wallet! :P It certainly is an awesome semi-hermetic though, they are a thing of beauty. I used to have a big copeland semi hermetic I scavenged from an appliance junkyard but it was 220 and I didn't have 220 available so I ended up tossing it when I took a break from refrigeration. I threw a lot of stuff away because I thought I was done with the hobby, I regret that.

fugger, do you have skype or email? hope that i can contact you

charles @ xtremesystems . org

Damn nice laptop, over 2 TB of SSD.

4K display?
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 01-10-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am about to bring mine online, I have it in its new home and I will take plenty of pictures when I complete it.

I took this when I took it out of storage, I cleaned it up, re lapped the block straight, built new mounting and insulation.

Test fired and ran power into my office last week. This was rebuilt by Chilly1 and I and gassed by Mytekcontrols from Polycold. It has a modified Polycold blend in it now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ac.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	132194
    Charles any updates on this monster of yours ? I am drooling over here , post some pictures when finish please. Since my last 2 stage Cascade died all i can do now it's watch other peoples built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast