Thread: [News] Tech Industry Leaders Unite, Unveil New High-Perf Server Interconnect Tech

[News] Tech Industry Leaders Unite, Unveil New High-Perf Server Interconnect Tech

https://www.techpowerup.com/226826/t...ect-technology

On the heels of the recent Gen-Z interconnect announcement, an aggregate of some of the most recognizable names in the tech industry have once again banded together. This time, it's an effort towards the implementation of a fast, coherent and widely compatible interconnect technology that will pave the way towards tighter integration of ever-more heterogeneous systems.

Technology leaders AMD, Dell EMC, Google, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM, Mellanox Technologies, Micron, NVIDIA and Xilinx announced the new open standard to appropriate fanfare, considering the promises of an up-to 10x performance uplift in datacenter server environments, thus accelerating big-data, machine learning, analytics, and other emerging workloads. The interconnect promises to provide a high-speed pathway towards tighter integration between different types of technology currently making up the heterogeneous server computing's needs, ranging through fixed-purpose accelerators, current and future system memory subsistems, and coherent storage and network controllers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Interesting. I like the emphasis on latency reduction and virtual addressing. Still slower than NVLink's advertised 80 GB/s . . .

nvlink is designed for super computers, this looks like it is for data center and colo settings.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah I know. It's nice to dream though.