Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [News] AMD Shares ZEN info and talks about based 32 core 64 thread product

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Looks like AVX instructions are indeed executed at half rate...

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...ction-and-More

That's a very unfortunate design decision, IMO.
    Well, i dont know, i think it may be good for us.
    Zen still has 8 real cores, so even if they process AVX at half the speed, still it gives similar performance as 4 core intel.
    AVX isnt used very much so it shouldnt be a BIG problem ,but its one more thing that makes me feel they will price zen against intel mid end aka not BD-E.Anyhow, we still dont know the real performance penalty as zen microarchitecture is in some ways different then intels.It also has bigger caches.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Looks like AVX instructions are indeed executed at half rate...

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...ction-and-More

That's a very unfortunate design decision, IMO.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10591/...-parallelism/4
    The FP Unit uses four pipes rather than three on Excavator, and we are told that the latency in Zen is reduced as well for operations (though more information on this will come at a later date). We have two MUL and two ADD in the FP unit, capable of joining to form two 128-bit FMACs, but not one 256-bit AVX. In order to do AVX, the unit will split the operations accordingly. On the counter side each core will have 2 AES units for cryptography as well as decode support for SSE, AVX1/2, SHA and legacy mmx/x87 compliant code.
    Even weaker than half-speed.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    Zen still has 8 real cores, so even if they process AVX at half the speed, still it gives similar performance as 4 core intel.
    I suspect that the power consumption may have also influenced AMD's decision to limit AVX capabilities of the chip.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    2 AES units per core... so all 16 threads should be able to be doing heavy crypto work at the same time. Me like
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Enthusiast
    According to some work The Stilt did comparing Blender results with and without AVX2 enabled, AVX2 support is not currently doing much for Blender performance. So I retract my statements earlier in this thread that indicated that Summit Ridge challenging Broadwell-E in a Blender benchmark was somehow indicative that Summit Ridge had acceptable AVX/AVX2 performance.

Despite Blender having support for AVX2 officially, it's not clear how that helps with anything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://dresdenboy.blogspot.hk/2016/0...hot-chips.html

Guess this is one of the reason that Zen cannot do native AVX for each of the FPUs because it is derived from Jaguar FPUs (?).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12