Thread: [News] Crucial Scraps the Ballistix TX3 PCIe SSD

[News] Crucial Scraps the Ballistix TX3 PCIe SSD

https://www.techpowerup.com/225034/c...x-tx3-pcie-ssd

Crucial today, in a statement to TechPowerUp stated that it has canceled the Ballistix TX3 PCIe solid-state drive launch. The company canceled the product on the basis of "prioritization of company resources and investments." The company however stated that it will continue to develop SSD products that target the gamer-enthusiast market that the Ballistix TX3 PCIe was intended for. "We are, however, continuing to explore potential opportunities for future gaming products and will provide an update as new plans are formalized," the company stated.

Crucial first unveiled the Ballistix TX3 at the 2016 Computex Expo, where it demonstrated its M.2 variants. The drives combined Silicon Motion's new SMI2260H processor with Micron-made 3D MLC NAND flash memory. The drive took advantage of 32 Gb/s PCIe and the new NVMe protocol to offer transfer rates up to four times higher than current performance-segment SATA 6 Gb/s SSDs.

i wounder who bought the exclusive on the new SM controller? it would be very strange for them to can this otherwise.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Not really. It looks like they can barely match last year's performance (the 950 pro), while also being more expensive to manufacture. Samsung is delivering way better performance, at an even lower price point. You can't make money off this thing, which is likely why they decided not to produce any.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

toshiba put their m.2 nvme card out and it much lower performance than the OEM version of the 950 and costs more than the OEM one. it just seems strange that micron would pull their retail one.

edit, they are still selling an ahci pci-e m.2 drive that has dram cache and a good controller, it just does not seem like the cost would be that much more for an nvme controller.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-16-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    toshiba put their m.2 nvme card out and it much lower performance than the OEM version of the 950 and costs more than the OEM one. it just seems strange that micron would pull their retail one.

edit, they are still selling an ahci pci-e m.2 drive that has dram cache and a good controller, it just does not seem like the cost would be that much more for an nvme controller.
    zanzabar how are you bro ? I test for Crucial, Micron and they always use Silicon Motion's Controller, guess it's not the exception on this.

as for what i've tested the Beasts of Speed are

Samsung SM961 not tested by me still
    Samsung SM950 512GB
    Toshiba OCZ RD400 with the included PCIe Card 512GB
    Apacer Z511 i only tested the 240GB Model but pumps 2545/864 with Phison Controller

If you want i can link you to my reviews of each model

Kindly, Sergio
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

i am doing good,

i was looking at this test on the rd400 review, it has the sata and nvme evo and the plextor drive that is a rebadge of the current crucial m.2 but 2x only and ahci.
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...-Weighted-Pe-0

the rd400 looks slow for nvme, from the bench so since i really like crucial and have been burned by samsung and ocz in the past i was really looking forward to it. i really like the idea of mixed use with nvme being as fast as possible and the rd400 just was not doing it from the benches to match the price premium.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    Conjecture; from a bill of materials probably there is no difference at all or something in the cents to a few dollars per module, but from a development point of view (unless they are sticking a ref. design) between the market demand and margins they deemed it not lucrative.

Xtreme Member
    Agree with Levish on this one.
    say it ain't so Joe............SEO Services SEO Business