Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Zen FX - information, benchmarks, experience of users

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, so ive found something interesting.There was a leak recently with a QS chip on passmark, it has been since removed.
    So i looked through few possibilities with a cpu string on there and i hit a score submitted yesterday on a ES0 chip starting with a 1D
    Its on motherboard made by mad with a name golemit, in passmark in manage baselines just search for 1D and it will give the score.

my Cpu runs at 4.2! NOT 3.3
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Brilliant Idiot
    While i may be AMD i had a choice bottleneck a good gpu with an AMD cpu or unbottleneck some mediocre AMD gpus with an intel cpu.

One must take into consideration always overclockability. Until recently intels chips did not clock as good on air/water on avg. Add in cost vs gains...an entire platform swap...not cost effective.

Grass roots overclockers were never the type to upgrade everytime something new came out. More so they would milk the crap out of legendary hardware while patiently awaiting something that would offer a rather large jump...rinse repeat. Examples. 1700tbred 9800 pro.etc etc.

When i left i did not quit....I quit being a tool...i just returned to my roots.
    Last edited by chew*; 02-14-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by charged3800z24 View Post
    Personally, I run only AMD in my house. I have 6 systems running APU's, either laptop or PC, an FX 9370 ion Main Rig and Phenom 1090t in Home Server. My main Media Center is an AMD A10-9700e AM4 setup. Never have I had any issues with any of my systems nor gaming. I have 3 kids now and all of them game on PC. So, of course I will Have a Ryzen CPU in my main rig. Call me a fan boy, I don't care, lol. I cannot get onboard with Intel, period. Though I do like some of their NICs.
    I swapped from my 9370@5 with a pair of 7950's to a 5820K@4.5 and the difference was night and day in quite a few games. I have honestly become frustrated with AMD chips as of late, had to swap my Athlon 5350's out in the HTPC's as they couldn't decode full 1080P@60FPS blu-ray rips with 7.1 surround. 6400T does it in the same power envelope without a single issue (obviously huge platform price increase).

I for one hope and pray some of these AMD chips are good, as I cannot handle another flop. The BD and PD chips offered a decent value when released, anything after haswell from intel walks all over them though. My current broadwell-e chip looks like its going to walk around with the 8 core ryzen pretty easily as well.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow, really? Maybe it's because I'm not a 4k gamer, but still, I'm sorry, I have a 9370 and a RX 480 8GB. I have no issues in any games and run the latest APUs in all my other PCs. A guy at work just built a PC using the 8370e and runs two RX 480's and runs 4k with Battle Front and BF4 no issues.
    This is my latest APU and have no issues running as a media center PC, low power and great performance. I even game on it.

~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Brilliant Idiot
    The gain from ipc, cpu power and speed in multi gpu setups is significant. Xfire and sli both use cpu alot more. I can not even count how many times ive seen posts of those claiming to have a unstable cpu oc after adding a second card ( clearly less stable than they had thought ). In benching myself i noticed it clearly. The cpu would either need be toned down a bit and or more voltage was required.

A 480 setup in 4k high res if 8 gig cards is what it is. Doesnt mean he is not losing something. If 4 gig cards im fairly certain my 290x's would trump it np.

Me personally im not a 4k guy. Im a fast response high fps high hz competitive gamer.

Anyway some may recall my 4way sli testing. Even back then when BD had a clear shear speed advantage in xtreme presets where i was able to lvl playing field vs intel cpu scores i was observing lower than expected game test scores which forced me to abort the endeavor. The higher i clocked the cards the more evident it became that it was being bottlenecked.

Anyway i showed what BD could do. Clock high. I never pushed it beyond that...how could i honestly reccomend someone with a thuban with higher ipc....downgrade.

Its a new era now. I look forward to ryzen
    Last edited by chew*; 02-16-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Cruncher
    Chew, I see what your saying. My point is that I have no issues playing any game... any game on my setup. Yes, is the Intel faster, sure. But unless you are bench marking, why do you need to get 200 FPS? Even with Techreport.com and their measure of GPU frame time. If I can't see an issue, I don't need an Intel to save me. I have no lag, frame tearing, jitter, or what have you. Just smooth enjoyable game play. Sure, My system is a little power hungry, but the Intel fans back in the Prescott days stuck by there space heaters too. I use AMD. Just like I buy Chevy. (oops, just opened a can of worms there...) I remember when power consumption was not a worry... weird how now days it is a big deal. Plus, I enjoy overclocking AMD always have and it is unpredictable, a journey and a lot of fun. At the price point of AMD chips, I still do not see any reason to fully switch over. The APUs have been fantastic in the mobile area as well, if not more so. I sell tons of Elitebook systems from HP that are powered by previous and latest GEN APUs. Not one client has ever said, wow this thing is so slow and the battery sucks. I always here good things. Besides being an HP, there is something there.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    Asus Prime X399-A
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Brilliant Idiot
    Yah im guilty in power consumption area lol. 2 290x on water flashed 1060/1350 power color LCS bios. Im not to concerned about that tbh.

Its more in games where i crank eyecandy where i could show a rather big difference. RotTomb Raider just for an example.

Nobody who plays competively in fps uses eyecandy. In fps any edge is an edge. He who sees the other first providing equal skill wins.

AMD apu based chips i endorsed. If you remember i loved llano. The APUs did not meet my personal needs however.

I personally and morally however could not hype what i consider/ed my fellow amd bretheren into jumping on BD from what they currently had.

To put in car analogy. If you were a gm guy you avoided the 2.4 quad 4 engine like the plague and embraced the 3800 series v6.
    Last edited by chew*; 02-16-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Cruncher
    Amen Chew, I remember the QUAD 4 though I did like the early 2.3 H.O. motors power. I never had to jmp from Phenom to FX due to the chips were free... so I guess hat helps only me. But still I like my FX chip and at 5GHX it renders and threads like a beast when I need it.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    Asus Prime X399-A
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Spotted 4 boards from MSI at one of my Venders

MSI - COMPONENTS MSI B350 AMD AM4 DDR4 ATX CFX 2PCIEX16 USB3.1 M.2 VGA DVI-D HDMI
    MSI - COMPONENTS MSI B350 AMD AM4 DDR4 MATX PCIEX16X1 USB3.1 M.2 DVI-D VGA HDMI
    MSI - COMPONENTS MSI X370 AMD AM4 DDR4 ATX SLI 3PCIEX16 2M.2 USB3.1GEN2 HDMI DP
    MSI - COMPONENTS MSI X370 AMD AM4 DDR4 ATX SLI 2PCIEX16 2M.2 USB3.1GEN2 HDMI DVI-D
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    Asus Prime X399-A
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Brilliant Idiot
    Im seeing a trend with 8+4 cpu power on top tier. Msi now to. Looks like a nice board.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Chew, I see what your saying. My point is that I have no issues playing any game... any game on my setup. Yes, is the Intel faster, sure. But unless you are bench marking, why do you need to get 200 FPS? Even with Techreport.com and their measure of GPU frame time. If I can't see an issue, I don't need an Intel to save me. I have no lag, frame tearing, jitter, or what have you. Just smooth enjoyable game play. Sure, My system is a little power hungry, but the Intel fans back in the Prescott days stuck by there space heaters too. I use AMD. Just like I buy Chevy. (oops, just opened a can of worms there...) I remember when power consumption was not a worry... weird how now days it is a big deal. Plus, I enjoy overclocking AMD always have and it is unpredictable, a journey and a lot of fun. At the price point of AMD chips, I still do not see any reason to fully switch over. The APUs have been fantastic in the mobile area as well, if not more so. I sell tons of Elitebook systems from HP that are powered by previous and latest GEN APUs. Not one client has ever said, wow this thing is so slow and the battery sucks. I always here good things. Besides being an HP, there is something there.
    1080P going from 80FPS to 144-165FPS is a big difference and visible on the correct monitor. I currently play at 4k which actually shows less of a difference than at lower resolution. I tried a 7860K to replace my 5350's prior to the 6400T, it sucked over 140w at the wall with just the APU, 2 sticks of DDR2400 and an SSD. It did do better in games than the 6400T, but it was not worth the 100w extra it pulled from the wall IMO, the box runs 24/7 and the extra heat it dumped was annoying when you live in houston where the weather can't seem to figure out cold.

I stuck by my 9370@5ghz for a long long time. Happened across cheap DDR4 and a free motherboard went X99 and hope AMD can equal that performance this go around. It is something completely different even if you personally cannot see it that doesn't mean it isn't there nor does it mean it is not something other people cannot see, nor need.

As for your APU in laptop luck, you are the only one I have ever claim happiness from those. Time and time again I get back those damn HP's that overheat and run slow as balls. Of all companies I could never recommend anyone buy an HP product with the higher wattage AMD chips in them. HP barely factors in enough cooling for operation under ideal circumstances, the second it grabs any dust and they are throttling. I cannot count the number of HP's I have tossed for board/CPUs that overheated and croaked.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My signature has been a Nehalem die shot since ca 2008... and today I finally found a good Zen die shot.

Feels good to be back on the AMD hype train!

Xtreme Addict
    5,2ghz+ ln2 hmm :o

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post

As for your APU in laptop luck, you are the only one I have ever claim happiness from those. Time and time again I get back those damn HP's that overheat and run slow as balls. Of all companies I could never recommend anyone buy an HP product with the higher wattage AMD chips in them. HP barely factors in enough cooling for operation under ideal circumstances, the second it grabs any dust and they are throttling. I cannot count the number of HP's I have tossed for board/CPUs that overheated and croaked.
    Weird as we have had many folio units that only have Intel, come back with problems. I also cannot begin to count the number of dead Intel's in the past 3 years. We even have a Bulletin Board that we began sticking them on. We bean moving the AMD based systems and never, have had any of the 725, 745 nor 755 EliteBooks come back. They are not high power nor have we ever had one over heat. We move around 35 units a month in laptops alone. The 705 Mini, which I have all over my office even, have been great as well. We had 2 power supply issues units but that was all. In my 20 years in the business I have only seem 2 bad AMD chips and never have had one. Maybe I'm lucky and all our clients have been getting a special wave of systems. Just to be clear, We only have 3 of us at the company that even like AMD CPUs. The Mobile PUs have been fantastic in my opinion, and I will never believe that Popping an Intel in my gaming rig is going to make me see some new game experience.
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    Asus Prime X399-A
    AMD RX 5700 XT

Brilliant Idiot
    I could show you difference on both sides of the fence. Course id have to borrow some of my old bd parts for the comparison from msimax. I plan on looking into some real world gaming tests 8 cluster am3+ vs sandy 4c/8t vs ryzen 4c/8t vs ryzen 8c. I wont have results ready by launch. Im doing this for fun and community...but i will start working on them this weekend. First i need to get an OS in on the ryzen rig.

Lots of stuff to look into. Oh and chip failure is why i dont use NV. Intel ive had no issues...only ever really used two in entire time ive used pcs though. Both were in the more resilient product lines so...eh perspective.

Ive beaten the living crud out of amd chips though...most failures were my own fault or a board that suicided and took prisoners.
    Last edited by chew*; 02-22-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    heatware chew*

Brilliant Idiot
    In other news...toms hardware has confirmed the asus max 6 hero will be there flagship AMD board....

Key feature...lights.

No formula....preety dissapointing imo..
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Weird as we have had many folio units that only have Intel, come back with problems. I also cannot begin to count the number of dead Intel's in the past 3 years. We even have a Bulletin Board that we began sticking them on. We bean moving the AMD based systems and never, have had any of the 725, 745 nor 755 EliteBooks come back. They are not high power nor have we ever had one over heat. We move around 35 units a month in laptops alone. The 705 Mini, which I have all over my office even, have been great as well. We had 2 power supply issues units but that was all. In my 20 years in the business I have only seem 2 bad AMD chips and never have had one. Maybe I'm lucky and all our clients have been getting a special wave of systems. Just to be clear, We only have 3 of us at the company that even like AMD CPUs. The Mobile PUs have been fantastic in my opinion, and I will never believe that Popping an Intel in my gaming rig is going to make me see some new game experience.
    See that is the difference the shop I am in see's around 800 units a day.

In completely different news I will have a 1700x friday with an undisclosed board that starts with an a

Brilliant Idiot
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Xtreme Mentor
    Well, at least 6900X you can hide in your pocket, not so sure Cyberpower Ryzen PC will be able to

I'm jumping from my i7 4790k to 1700X or 1800X and MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon if reviews find no problems with it (board that is). Due to my holiday schedule I will have 4 days to decide as I'm back 8th of March, which makes my order cut off date 6th of March.
    I just hope there will be enough stock for me to buy it then.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Brilliant Idiot
    Rumour has it the msi is under achieving in clock speeds by 200mhz. Im not sure as to the cause.

Voltron or Optimus Primes flight kit from revenge of the fallen...( aka asus ) reportedly clocks CPU the best.
    Last edited by chew*; 02-23-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    @ FlanK3r

Did you have an Ryzen?

@All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bwl0QndhS0

here are the 2 Screens from the short Review Video on YouTube

And here an Ryzen 1700X vs intel i7 7700K on Gta 5 gameplay (fps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRighttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRig
    Last edited by techtrancer; 02-23-2017 at 12:03 PM.

FX-9370 @ 4.7 GHz @ 1,44 V | NB @ 2286 MHz @ 1,21V
    32 GB 1600 CL11 1,5V @ 846 MHz @ CL 9-9-9 @ 1,4V
    MORA 2 + Laing D5 + 9 x 120mm @ 5V
    Gigabyte GA-970A UD3 Rev. 1.2
    XFX HD7750 2GB Core Edition
    Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techtrancer View Post
    @ FlanK3r

Did you have an Ryzen?

@All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bwl0QndhS0

here are the 2 Screens from the short Review Video on YouTube

And here an Ryzen 1700X vs intel i7 7700K on Gta 5 gameplay (fps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRighttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdqIsqwDRig
    Somehow GTAV scores doesnt make sense. so 5ghz 7700K gets the same average to the 4.2ghz one even though min and max are both higher ?
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Brilliant Idiot
    Very little sleep in past 2 days just got back from a business trip. I will leave you with this. To lazy to watermark so used an identifier for pic.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    Damn you got yours before mine showed up, do you have the matching Crosshair VI? It appears that it has the only VRM section that can keep up right now...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast