Thread: [News] Seagate's new $85 5TB hard drive is actually affordable

[News] Seagate's new $85 5TB hard drive is actually affordable

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...-tb-hard-drive

While the past few months have seen an escalating arms race to build the world?s largest solid state drive, magnetic disk-based hard drives are still the cheapest option for computers looking for the most bytes for their buck.

And Seagate?s new 5TB BarraCuda ST5000 hard drive is the largest 2.5-inch hard drive yet, although it isn?t going to be going toe-to-toe with something like the 60TB SSD when it comes to space.
    Unfortunately, while the BarraCuda ST5000 is a 2.5-inch drive, it?s also 15mm thick, which makes it primarily an option for desktops. Fortunately, Seagate also announced the BarraCuda ST2000LM015, which has a smaller 7mm thick casing used by the majority of today's laptops, but tops out at a comparatively paltry 2TB of storage.

However, while SSDs may offer larger storage sizes and higher speeds, Seagate?s new hard drives definitely win out on price. The 5TB BarraCuda ST5000 will cost $85, while the laptop-sized 2TB BarraCuda ST2000LM015 will cost $55. (For comparison, the largest 7mm, 2.5-inch SSD available to consumers is Samsung?s 4TB 850 EVO for $1,499.99.) No release dates for the hard drives have been announced.

Hm, for my new desktop PC build I want to do eventually that might work really nice for the bulk storage drive.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

After Seagate's track record over the last fifteen years, I can't say I would be eager to trust anything important to a new model no matter what the price.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I've generally not had much issue with their drives, to be honest. I've probably seen about the same percentage of Seagate and WD drives die in my experience (thankfully none of them have been mine). I have a Samsung F1 1TB as my main storage drive now, and I thought a secondary storage drive was a Seagate, but realized the ST500DM005 is just a relabeled Samsung F3 drive.

If Seagate has been using Samsung's HDD tech then they should be better than they had been, as Samsung drives have been generally solid in my experience.

Anything important I'm going to have backed up on an additional drive anyway (likely my external).
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

it is still only $170 for a raid 1 of thees and they are 2.5" double thick so they will easily fit in one 3.5" bay.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I've generally not had much issue with their drives, to be honest.
    This model could be an as-yet unknown breakout hit in terms of reliability. I'm just wary of it being new and unknown for the time being given Seagate's hit-and-miss job with drive lines through the years. Prudence is warranted here. Time will tell how it turns out.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Great price, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pool.
    I also feel if you're going raid 1, you're essentially asking for %200 fail rate, instead of the likely 100%... (yeah I know, 100% isn't correct but still...)

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Great price, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pool.
    I also feel if you're going raid 1, you're essentially asking for %200 fail rate, instead of the likely 100%... (yeah I know, 100% isn't correct but still...)
    raid 1 is mirrored, that way if one dies you are still ok. are you thinking raid 0, that one you loose everything if one fails?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Would make for a great internal backup drive in a space constrained case. Something like the Fractal Define S5 with loads of WC gear.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it is still only $170 for a raid 1 of thees and they are 2.5" double thick so they will easily fit in one 3.5" bay.
    Or you could even go Raid 5 for about $250. Latency still won't be great, but you'd have a really nice data storage setup for the equivalent of 500 SSD GBs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    raid 1 is mirrored, that way if one dies you are still ok. are you thinking raid 0, that one you loose everything if one fails?

No, he is correctly assuming that both drives will die since Seagate manufactures them. It actually is 100% fail rate with any number of drives :P

Love the price, hate the brand.
    Main: Windows 10 Core i7 5820K @ 4500Mhz, Corsair H100i, 32GB DDR4-2800, eVGA GTX980 Ti, Kingston SSDNow 240GB, Crucial C300 64GB Cache + WD 1.5TB Green, Asus X99-A/USB3.1
    ESXi Server 6.5 Xeon E5 2670, 64GB DDR3-1600, 1TB, Intel DX79SR, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    ESXi Server 6.0 Xeon E5 2650L v3, 64GB DDR4-2400, 1TB, Asrock X99 Xtreme4, 4xIntel 1Gbps
    FreeNAS 9.10 x64 Xeon X3430 , 32GB DDR3-1600, 3x(3x1TB) WD Blue, Intel S3420GPRX, 4xIntel 1Gbps

Guess the 6+ year old Seagate drive in my work PC didn't get the memo.
    The Cardboard Master

You know the saying. "Anecdotal experience with a small sample size is definitive."

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

I know.

I've not really had any more Seagate failures over any other drive to speak of, across all the systems I've worked on over the years though.

The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    These drives are not $85.