Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [News] EC puts Apple on the hook for 13 billion tax bill [Update: Ireland to appeal]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    That's incredibly disingenuous and/or untrue. An LLC, S-Corp or sole proprietor will never be taxed twice, unless the owner is a moron.
    I must have known a fair number of morons then, as this is a common complaint. Also S-Corps and LLCs have restrictions.

As far as Apple is concerned, I am fairly certain that their earnings are taxed twice, e.g. taxed at the corporate rate and then taxed again when distributed to employees as pay, with exceptions (stock options etc).

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I whole heartedly disagree with that statement. Apple has 250 Billion in cash reserves - paying more taxes would not make them non-competitive, nor would playing by the rules inhibit innovation. It would certainly reduce CEO bonuses, but I frankly am ok with that. Taxes come off profits. Our structure literally makes it as beneficial as possible to declare a financial loss.
    The US has the third-highest top marginal corporate tax rate in the world:

http://taxfoundation.org/article/cor...und-world-2016

That is exactly why Apple has parked $250 billion overseas. Regardless of whether or not they could afford for over 1/3rd of that money to just disappear into the void, they certainly didn't want that to happen, so they refused to repatriate those assets for a long time. Cook is now making a show of asset repatriation:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...sury-next-year

Quote Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post
    I must have known a fair number of morons then, as this is a common complaint. Also S-Corps and LLCs have restrictions.

As far as Apple is concerned, I am fairly certain that their earnings are taxed twice, e.g. taxed at the corporate rate and then taxed again when distributed to employees as pay, with exceptions (stock options etc).

That is exactly why Apple has parked $250 billion overseas. Regardless of whether or not they could afford for over 1/3rd of that money to just disappear into the void, they certainly didn't want that to happen, so they refused to repatriate those assets for a long time. Cook is now making a show of asset repatriation:

\

the US has one of the lowest net tax rates affter deductions, you also do not pay taxes on expenses so they would not be taxed "twice."
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Guru

US companies do not pay a fraction of their quoted "tax rate." I'm not going to derail this thread with politics, but the fact of the matter remains that Apple does not pay the 38.9% rate your article suggests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I whole heartedly disagree with that statement. Apple has 250 Billion in cash reserves - paying more taxes would not make them non-competitive, nor would playing by the rules inhibit innovation. It would certainly reduce CEO bonuses, but I frankly am ok with that. Taxes come off profits. Our structure literally makes it as beneficial as possible to declare a financial loss.
    Look at its competition. 250 billion is chump change.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    Look at its competition. 250 billion is chump change.
    False. Apple has the largest cash reserves of any company right now - and it's not even close. This article is a tad outdated, but it shows they hold they lead by over $100 Billion over the next guys (MS and Google).
    http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/21...cash-reserves/

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    You also pay taxes twice in that if when you sell your products in another country and pay their tax, you have to pay an additional tax to bring your earnings back into the US....
    Again ... 100% disingenuous and/or untrue.

In the United States, foreign taxes paid are a 100% deduction 'above the line' prior to your statement of adjusted gross income.

~~snip of the goal post moving~~
    IRS - Disregarded Entity

You sure you want to introduce S-Corps into this discussion? They provide a corporate liability shield for small business & partners and are not intended for accumulation of capital --- that is why cash distributions to partners from an S-Corp are tax-free on the corporate side.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fine, is Apple an S-corp? Cmon now. Who is moving goal posts?

And if Apple isn't paying the top marginal corporate tax rate in the US, then why is Cook making such a big show about not wanting to pay "40% taxes" in the media? They sheltered their tax income in Ireland because their nominal tax rate is something like 13%, and Apple worked out a deal (which according to the EU is illegal, hence the fines) with the Irish gub'ment to pay less than 1% on earnings claimed there. Whatever rate they ARE paying, it's substantially higher than 13% which is why so many companies favor the "Double Irish": the nominal rate is low, and the Irish gub'ment is willing to bargain.

You better believe that the IRS would have taxed the hell out of that $250 billion repatriated from Ireland since the most Apple ever could have done is claimed a deduction on the pittance they paid to Ireland. Everything else would be taxable.

Xtreme Guru
    Fine, is Apple an S-corp? Cmon now. Who is moving goal posts?

And if Apple isn't paying the top marginal corporate tax rate in the US, then why is Cook making such a big show about not wanting to pay "40% taxes" in the media? They sheltered their tax income in Ireland because their nominal tax rate is something like 13%, and Apple worked out a deal (which according to the EU is illegal, hence the fines) with the Irish gub'ment to pay less than 1% on earnings claimed there. Whatever rate they ARE paying, it's substantially higher than 13% which is why so many companies favor the "Double Irish": the nominal rate is low, and the Irish gub'ment is willing to bargain.

You better believe that the IRS would have taxed the hell out of that $250 billion repatriated from Ireland since the most Apple ever could have done is claimed a deduction on the pittance they paid to Ireland. Everything else would be taxable.
    I don't think referencing Cook's complaining about paying taxes will get you very far in this argument...

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think referencing Cook's complaining about paying taxes will get you very far in this argument...
    Firstly I will retract some of what I said about individuals paying twice, but I have known several self-employed people who did pay twice since they apparently classified themselves as corporations rather than disregarded entities for whatever reason. It may just be that they don't understand tax code. Of course things changed back in the 90s. There are a lot more tax dodges available nowadays.

So why is referencing Cook's commentary "not going to get me very far in this argument"? At some point he's right: they will pay 35% federal + state corporate taxes on everything they bring back to the US minus deductions for what they paid to Ireland, which was less than 1%.

The Feds will walk off with over 1/3rd of that money, and Apple does not want that to happen, which is why he's wheeling and dealing to try to stop that. He's also trying to dodge a $13 billion fine from the EU. Sort of threading the needle, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    \

the US has one of the lowest net tax rates affter deductions, you also do not pay taxes on expenses so they would not be taxed "twice."
    Who said anything about paying taxes on expenses? Once the corporation pays tax on their income, the remaining profits distributed to employees or equity holders get taxed again according to personal tax rules. You can claim wages as an expense to reduce your tax liability at the corporate level, but you are going to get double-whammied on bonuses, incentive pay, stuff like that. Unless your accounting department weasels out of it, and even then all you are doing is moving from personal income tax to capital gains.

As for the US having one of the lowest net tax rates after deductions . . . that's generally only true thanks to companies that park assets overseas.

To tie it all back into the main discussion at hand (read: the EUC claims that the tax deal between Ireland and Apple violates EU law and is fining Apple for the transgression), all this hand-waving about "major corporations not paying anything near the full tax rate" and "the US having one of the lowest net tax rates after deductions" shows the strange, dystopic view that people have when viewing corporate tax malfeasance.

The accounting department that is tallying your deductions and restructuring your corporate entity to minimize tax liability is the same one advising you to park assets overseas. Which part of gaming the system is good, and which part is bad?

It's the same damn thing. US corporations pay low(er) than expected tax rates (read: less than 35%) because they know how to game the system. The system is specifically set up to be gamed by large groups of accountants. We set an arguably-ridiculous tax rate of 35% with the expectation that people will try to get out of it through deductions, asset reallocation, and other chicanery. And then we get into a snit when they follow the rules to their own advantage.

If we set a rate of 35%, who is actually supposed to pay that? Morons?

Xtreme Guru
    Firstly I will retract some of what I said about individuals paying twice, but I have known several self-employed people who did pay twice since they apparently classified themselves as corporations rather than disregarded entities for whatever reason. It may just be that they don't understand tax code. Of course things changed back in the 90s. There are a lot more tax dodges available nowadays.

So why is referencing Cook's commentary "not going to get me very far in this argument"? At some point he's right: they will pay 35% federal + state corporate taxes on everything they bring back to the US minus deductions for what they paid to Ireland, which was less than 1%.
    That's exactly the point. I as an average American citizen pay every cent in taxes that I owe the government. Apple, a potential trillion dollar company, does not pay a fraction of its fair share.

You're just not going to win over the support of many people with that attitude. And for the record, I consider myself a political moderate.

.....}

Regards, Hans

"Fair share"

Sigh I HATE that term because it is primarily used by envious people as a buzzword, and who will never define it because doing so would destroy their argument.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    "Fair share"

Sigh I HATE that term because it is primarily used by envious people as a buzzword, and who will never define it because doing so would destroy their argument.
    Fair share = the amount defined by the government for their tax bracket.

Boom. Gave you a definition that is fair and does not break my argument. Roasted.

.....}

Regards, Hans

So by your definition, the government could redefine the brackets so you and I would be taxed at 80% and that would still be our "fair share"? Sorry, your definition sucks
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    So by your definition, the government could redefine the brackets so you and I would be taxed at 80% and that would still be our "fair share"? Sorry, your definition sucks
    That's why we have representatives in Congress. I'm not falling for your straw man.

Facts are facts. Apple is not paying at their allotted bracket.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Apple isn't paying their allotted bracket because they're big and powerful and multinational enough to just leave their money sitting somewhere else until we rethink our tax policy. Many other companies are doing the same thing (just not necessarily on the same scale).

35% is really high for a corporate tax rate no matter how you slice it. We have created a system where you start with a high corporate tax rate, and corporations keep packs of accountants in the wings just to scrimp and pinch and cheat enough to get out of paying that rate (with asset parking being the inevitable conclusion). If our corporate tax rate were the same as Ireland's then WE would be the tax haven, and companies would park their money over here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12