Thread: Sandberg USB 3.0 Multi Harddisk Link

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg USB 3.0 Multi Harddisk Link

Introduction

Now here's a nifty little device for those old hard drives stacking up and collecting dust like old nudie magazines.USB peripheral manufacturer Sandberg has devised of a way to connect those SATA HDDs by way of USB 3.0. via its new USB 3.0 Multi Harddisk Link adapter.The USB 3.0 to IDE+SATA III Adapter allows you to connect any 3.5" & 2.5" drive to your computer for fast USB 3.0 data transfer.It allows not just to connect to the laptop IDE, desktop IDE and the SATA, but also it supports some of the new versions of the SATA for higher speed.

Specifications:

Packaging & Contents

The Adapter is packed inside a small clear plastic box that allows you to take a close look at the unit prior to purchasing it.

At the rear of the box we see a description of the product printed in many languages right above the contents and specifications lists.

The contents of the box includes:Power cable for 3.5? / 5.25? IDE drive,USB 3.0 cable and power adapter (if needed).

Manual.

Link for Software.

A Closer Look

I was surprised at how lightweight the Adapter is when I removed it from the packaging.Size wise,the Adapter is definitely something that you could keep in your pocket or handbag.

You have the Sandberg logo on the top of the Adapter.

If you flip the adapter over,you have another Sandberg logo.

Each edge of the device supports a different interface, which covers all existing interfaces at this time.Compatible with SATA III (6Gbps) & SATA Gen II (3Gbps) & Gen I (1.5Gbps).Plug-and-play, hot-swappable with One Touch Backup Function.

The USB 3.0 connection enables you to achieve impressive data transfer speeds of up to 5 Gbit/sec.The power switch is a nice feature.It says it's hot swappable,so it's probably unnecessary.

Support SATA 2.5" / 3.5" HDD/SSD , IDE HDD - Operate with one IDE and one SATA HDD/SSD simultaneously.

Software & Performance

1.Download end execute the software.
    2.Connect the IDE / SATA pins and the power cable to the hard disk.
    3.Plug in the power adapter and connect the USB 3.0 cable from the adapter to the computer.
    4.Read and write data from the HDD to the computer.

The software is flexible as you can see.

It worked exactly as expected.I had one new 2TB HDD and one old 120GB HDD.I was able to connect both of them using the adapter.It was as simple as plugging in the USB, the power, and attaching the HDD.Once that was done I was able to format the HDD's and copy stuff over,all without having to open up my computer before knowing that they work.Clocked an IDE 133 drive at 60MB/s sequential!A laptop SATA II drive was read at 80 MB/s.I was able to get 160 MB/s average and 190 MB/s peak for moving large files between the internal Seagate SSHD and the external SSHD on a SATA II only computer.

Conclusion

Back-up, move or archive your notebook or PC's HDD/SSD files quickly and easily with the USB 3.0 to SATA and IDE Adapter.I was impressed with the form factor and the fact that it came with all necessary cables and software.If you are using the IDE,the power cable that comes with it is very cramped and tricky to connect.Not impossible,just tricky.This unit can save you a lot of time.I was using USB 2.0 adapter for my old hard drive and it takes 21 hours transfer 2 TB data because I can only get 24 MB/s average and 25MB/s peak.I purchased another unit so I can move data between 2 SATA drives.This USB 3.0 adapter gives me about average 90 MB/s sustained transfer speed from SATA II drive and average 50 MB/s transfer speed from SATA I and IDE drive.This is an appreciation shout out to Sandberg.The adapter works well and saves a lot of time.

Everyone should get one of these.It's really convenient and saves a lot of trouble removing and installing your storage devices.Everyone I know worries about getting new drives that are DOA,so this makes it really easy to check.It was also convenient for me to copy files over from my friend's internal HDD without having to install it.I really do prefer a dock for ease of use, but this works as good as any dock I've had and costs a LOT less(48.99 US Dollars).All-in-all, there are a few competitor products I'd rather HAVE, but I haven't found another one I'd rather BUY. This has all the quality and features I need without costing three times as much just because it looks pretty and holds drives in a particular way.Plus, it works right every time, which is more than I can say for the fancy-schmancy dock it replaced.Overall, the adapter is very impressive.It is small, lightweight, and compact enough to take everywhere that it may be needed. It does what it says it should do,and more!

Xtreme Member
    These guys are coming out with some innovative products. Kudos to Sandberg and the reviewer
    say it ain't so Joe............SEO Services SEO Business