Thread: [News] AMD Reports 2016 Second Quarter Results

[News] AMD Reports 2016 Second Quarter Results

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd...r-results.html

AMD today announced revenue for the second quarter of 2016 of $1,027 million, operating loss of $8 million, and net income of $69 million, or $0.08 per diluted share. Non-GAAP operating income was $3 million and non-GAAP net loss was $40 million, or $0.05 per share.

"In the second quarter we accomplished a significant milestone as we returned to non-GAAP operating profitability based on solid execution and strong demand for our semi-custom and graphics products," said Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "Based on the strength of our semi-custom products and demand for our latest Radeon RX GPUs and 7th Generation A-Series APUs, we are well positioned to drive growth and market share gains in the second half of the year."
    • Q2 2016, Q1 2016 and Q2 2015 were 13-week fiscal quarters.
    • Revenue of $1,027 million, up 23 percent sequentially and up 9 percent year-over-year primarily due to higher sales of semi-custom SoCs.
    • Gross margin of 31 percent, down 1 percentage point sequentially, due primarily to a higher mix of semi-custom SoC sales.
    • Operating expenses of $353 million, compared to $344 million for the prior quarter. Non-GAAP operating expenses of $342 million, compared to non-GAAP operating expenses of $332 million in Q1 2016, primarily due to increased marketing investments.
    • Operating loss of $8 million, compared to an operating loss of $68 million in Q1 2016. Non-GAAP(1) operating income of $3 million, compared to non-GAAP(1) operating loss of $55 million in Q1 2016, primarily due to higher sales.
    • Net income of $69 million, earnings per share of $0.08, and non-GAAP(1) net loss of $40 million, non-GAAP(1) loss per share of $0.05. This is compared to a net loss of $109 million, loss per share of $0.14 and non-GAAP(1) net loss of $96 million, non-GAAP(1) loss per share of $0.12 in Q1 2016. The GAAP sequential and year-over-year improvements were primarily due to a gain of $150 million related to the formation of our assembly, test, mark and pack (ATMP) joint venture (JV) with Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics Co., Ltd. (NFME), partially offset by related taxes of $27 million. The non-GAAP sequential and year-over-year improvements were primarily due to higher sales and an IP licensing gain.
    • Cash and cash equivalents were $957 million at the end of the quarter, up $241 million from the end of the prior quarter, primarily due to net cash proceeds received from the ATMP JV transaction with NFME which closed in Q2 2016.
    • Total debt at the end of the quarter was $2.24 billion, flat from the prior quarter.

Thats not much to shout about, but at least they appear to be on the up I suppose.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Guru
    *very nice*
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Thats not much to shout about, but at least they appear to be on the up I suppose.
    Have you not seen their stock lately?

.....}

Regards, Hans

Nope, I have not seen their stock but things like that you aren't really going to be able to get a clear picture of until AMD finally release Zen and the rest of their RX lineup.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Guru

Full disclosure, I bought in at $3.50, and doubled my stake at $4.70

.....}

Regards, Hans