Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Water Chiller

Xtreme Legend

My Water Chiller

After DaGooch and FUGGER's help I came up with this to chill my water. ITs a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer. So far I have had problems with ice but I got it solved so now my water temps can get much cooler instead of just freezing. I used 15 gallons of water and 6 gallons of dex cool antifreeze. I'll give it a couple of days before I test the temps again.

Good job,

I notched the lid for the hoses and use weight to get a good seal. You wiil have too much ice build up at the lid preventing you from closing in a few days time.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Relic
    Chong345

Very nice solution dude! Please keep us updated as you tweak it. I am currently trying to come up with a way to chill my water rig and this is very interesting.

Xtreme Legend
    Well I finally got the ICE to melt and now I have the amounts posted in the first post running fine with no ice at -12C. I'll keep you guys updated.

Xtreme Enthusiast

HAD ONE SINCE MAY,2002!

Pic's of My 5 cu. ft. Haier Freezer
    4930K@5.2GHz/ASUS RIV BE/G-Skill 16GB/4x EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified Kingpin Edition with EK-WB's/4x Rosewill Hercules 1600W PSU's for GPU's/Thermaltake 1200W for MB/Cooling: CPU-Vapo, MB/GPU: A/C Conversion Chiller

Xtreme Legend
    whats the water temp?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Water temps are maintained between 13.5c/16.5c by a thermostat probe placed at the intake of the pump(Beckett 535GPH pond pump) inside the freezer.
    I only do it this way because I don't Insulate anything.
    My room temps are around 75F,so I cannot go below 13.5c water temps without SLIGHT condensation on all the Danger Den CPU/NB/GPU waterblocks.

Could you tell me what temps you have attained so far?
    Last edited by hallowen; 09-10-2002 at 02:48 PM.
    4930K@5.2GHz/ASUS RIV BE/G-Skill 16GB/4x EVGA GTX 780Ti Classified Kingpin Edition with EK-WB's/4x Rosewill Hercules 1600W PSU's for GPU's/Thermaltake 1200W for MB/Cooling: CPU-Vapo, MB/GPU: A/C Conversion Chiller

Xtreme Legend
    Here's mine after 12 hours of it being completely closed and not in use. I had to use a 50/50 mix just about to get it to stay liquidy.

I max out around -27c before I start to turn to slush.

Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea, I had the same ice problem when I first tested mine with no thermostat and no load to it(using 50/50- Glycol/water).
    It got So cold I had to turn it off(Froze first 1/2 inch of liquid)!

Does your pump get very hot outside(not being submerged and/or inside the freezer?

Xtreme Legend
    my pump is submerged so I have no idea what its like down in there. This makes me paranoid thoug cause I'm afraid that I'll get pump failure doing it this way and I wouldn't know if it did happen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First of all:Thanks for the info Fella's

Chong345, haven't you set the shutdown temps in your IT7 SETUP in case of pump failures?
    Mine's set at 50c warning and 60c shutdown!

Xtreme Legend
    yeah its set but I'm still paranoid. I'll set mine to like 40C I guess.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The only other thing I have to shut off my system in case of pump failure is a sensor with Visual Indication and Flow Switch (www.omega.com) but that set me back$150!

Model# FPR124
    (use the n/c contact with the pump OFF,and hook it up in parallel with the n/o POWER ON switch contact)

It's hooked up to the power switch bus connection(in parallel) on my IT7, so when you start your pump, the system turns on as you hit the start button on your computer, and if the pump fails and no water is flowing,it's the same as You hitting the PSU button.
    5 sec's latter--Shutdown!

Neat,Huh?
    Last edited by hallowen; 09-10-2002 at 04:24 PM.

Side note, the IT7 can withstand the pump failure.

I fired up with the pump turned off and was on several minutes before my system shut down.

If you are running a pelt, then it could be bad.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Legend
    226W, thats what I was thinking as well fugger.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FUGGER

since you say the IT7 can withstand pump failure,and you're running a pelt(s),hook up the contacts from the flow sensor to control a 12vdc relay which will turn off the pelts AND the Computer.

Side Note--
    I may have to do this myself if I use the two 172W pelts on the Maze2-2 that I had on my old Xp2100 System on my P4 system.

Overkill for a P4?
    Last edited by hallowen; 09-10-2002 at 05:49 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by hallowen

Overkill for a P4?
    No such thing!
    A CPU Cycle is a Terrible Thing to Waste....

DaGooch
    Nothing is overkill. If you want to play with the "Big Boys" then eliminate every possible and all bottlenecks from extreme cooling to more than adequate amperage available to the motherboard on all rails.

DaGooch
    Originally posted by Chong345
    Here's mine after 12 hours of it being completely closed and not in use. I had to use a 50/50 mix just about to get it to stay liquidy.
    Chong, stop opening and closing that lid all the time for the temperatures that you want! Let the liquid in the freezer get down to -25C or -30C before starting to bench. From what I see of your temperatures, you will hit your maximum negative temperatures in about 48 hours if you do not open that lid!

Xtreme Legend
    Hehe DaGooch,
    I want to bench so bad but I don't think this 2.26 will go much higher. Making me nervous. If I could squeeze a couple more mhz out of it I might be able to hit a little higher on the marks but at the same time I don't think the memory on the card will go any higher without some other cooling (from what OPP has said). Maybe I should just sell it off?

DaGooch
    Time to get a new CPU?

Xtreme Legend
    Yeah, working on it. Uh hopefully it will happen soon. But I did manage to break 18k with stock cooling on the card. Maybe I got a good one that will OC like a mofo with a pelt on it . Wishfull thinking. Anyway I'm done benching for a bit. I either have to pelt the GPU to go higher or new CPU time. I say new CPU.

I've got the same problem chong has: the lid of my freezer wont close becuase of the tubes.
    I'm planning on taking the freezer apart and make a real waterchiller, but I want to use it in the meantime

Any solutions? Cheap solution? Space is about 1cm near the tubes...
    Or just put a res in it, let it cool down for the night and then use it for benching (with the lid open)?
    AMD XP1600+ @ 1894MHz (10.5x180) (Vcore: 1.85v (need Vmod)) | ABIT KX7 | samsung PC2700 | Cooled by MachI
    AMD64 3200+ (stock cooled) | 512mb Kingston HyperX | R9800Pro

phase-change.com

Xtreme Legend
    Well, the only issue that I really have is not the lid but it gets so cold. At -21C I was getting a little slush but I definately won't make it to -25C without a slurpie looking reservoir.

Since I don't use this freezer except to bench I can leave it closed for a couple of days, which I haven't done yet because I've been benching a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast