Thread: [News] AMD's RX 500 Series Launch Confirmed on April 18th [Update: Specs & Results]

[News] AMD's RX 500 Series Launch Confirmed on April 18th [Update: Specs & Results]

https://www.techpowerup.com/232306/a...-on-april-18th

AMD is on a roll with product launches lately, having just pushed out what is probably the most significant update in mainstream CPUs in years: the Ryzen 5 line of desktop processors. You can look over TPU's review of the 1500X and 1600X here and . AMD is looking towards powering another central part of your desktop processor, though, with the impending launch of the RX 500 line of GPUs.

Confirmed as rebrands of previous-generation Polaris 10, the new RX 500 series will carry the new Polaris 20 XTX and Polaris 20 XL chips, which are expected to feature higher clocks (in the range of 1300-1400 MHz) from AIBs, before your own overclocking. PowerColor has officially confirmed the launch date as April 18th through social media with a tease for their new Red Devil graphics card. Now if only we could see Vega on this new horizon...

Meh.... not interested, I wish AMD would stop fooling around and release Vega already, because they are one year late and still nothing.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Meh.... not interested, I wish AMD would stop fooling around and release Vega already, because they are one year late and still nothing.
    It's because they went all in with HBM2. IMO that was a mistake, simply because I'm not convinced HBM actually offers any benefits to gamers over GDDR5X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    It's because they went all in with HBM2. IMO that was a mistake, simply because I'm not convinced HBM actually offers any benefits to gamers over GDDR5X.
    The only way to find out the truth would be 2 skus, one with gddr5x and one with hbm2 and see the difference.

I want to see how much further x rx4 the rx5 series can be pushed concerning mem and core clock.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    The only way to find out the truth would be 2 skus, one with gddr5x and one with hbm2 and see the difference.

I want to see how much further x rx4 the rx5 series can be pushed concerning mem and core clock.
    Or you could just downclock HBM and see how much of a performance dropoff there is when the bandwidth levels are about equivalent. I honestly don't think HBM is necessary for games; the virtual memory addressing lends itself far more to enterprise applications (though VR could possibly make use).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    My understanding was power consumption. The way amds architecture works, guarantees highr power consumption than nvidia, so they pretty much hit the wall with 390X, so in order to really build bigger chip with reasonable power consumption (fury) , they had to adopt hbm.There are other things, but not really for a desktop pc.
    Anyway, im dissapointed in Rx580 because they didnt use faster memory.Its going to be essentially a bit better engineered rx480. +5%, maybe +10% after oc.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    My understanding was power consumption. The way amds architecture works, guarantees highr power consumption than nvidia, so they pretty much hit the wall with 390X, so in order to really build bigger chip with reasonable power consumption (fury) , they had to adopt hbm.There are other things, but not really for a desktop pc.
    Anyway, im dissapointed in Rx580 because they didnt use faster memory.Its going to be essentially a bit better engineered rx480. +5%, maybe +10% after oc.
    More rebranding **looks at 7970 GHZ** well you aren't going to pasture just yet
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Addict
    Geez louise, asking whether we're ready. No we are actually not just ready for this, but also for Vega, I'm sure everyone is ready by now.

I'm slightly confused why the direct comparison is to a GTX 970? Perhaps to entice people like me to upgrade? Not sure about that, doesn't inspire confidence.
    Last edited by Tim; 04-14-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v