Thread: Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120

Threaded View

Xtreme Reviewer

Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120

Introduction

Deep Cool was started in 1996 and provided desktop and server coolers for ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) partners.The company has a nice line of CPU,notebook,hard drive,and server coolers,as well as individual fans and even a new line of computer cases.With its focus on customer service and satisfaction,Deep Cool is a leader in the cooling market.During Computex 2014 we were introduced to one of the coolest fans we have ever seen,the Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 120mm fan.This fan was overflowing with innovative features designed to make the fan quiet and efficient.As with most fans some of the features were subtle and difficult to spot while others were obvious and well stated.With all the questions I have received lately on water cooling,which fans to get and how will they effect my cooling,I decided to throw a review on the new Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 fan.

GF 120 is an ultra high-end case fan to GF series, which applied by DEEPCOOL Maelstrom 120/240 and all Captain series.Multiple features of FDB bearing, patented design 100% De-Vibration TPE cover, Optimized Airflow with Centralized Flow Pattern, PWM function offers different needs of silence and cooling. Triple-Proof Design (Dustproof, Waterproof, Oil-leakage proof) ensures cleaner, safer, longer lifespan.Detachable fan with colorful fan blade satisfy your DIY enthusiasm and offers various customizations to match your case components.

Packaging & Contents

DeepColl has packed its fan completely in cardboard.You can recycle every bit of the box.A window allows you a glimpse at what is contained inside.

On the back we find a table of specifications.

The Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 has a center section which details the various technologies and features found on their new fan.

Opening the box,we find one Molex to 4-pin adapter and a Set of 4 Rubber grommets.

A Closer Look

GF120’s plastic frame is 100% wrapped by a TPE layer,which is a kind of soft and elastic material.This layer can absorb de-vibration to a great extent.

Especially design blades with centralized flow pattern create outstanding static pressure and focus the airflow for superior performance on heatsinks and radiators.

Optimized fan configuration with triple-proof (Dustproof, Waterproof, Oil-leakage proof) with estimated lifetime of 100,000 hours.

GF120 has a 4-pin PWM connector,which allows the fan speed to adjust automatically according to the system's request.The cables is sleeved.The disadvantage is if you were trying to plug to a fan controller situated further than your default cable length, you would not be able to do so.

The party piece of the Gamer Storm GF120 fan is its ability to remove the impeller with the function of recruited lubricating oil.To remove the impeller you should push on it firmly from the rear of the fan and then it should just pop off.The impeller has 9 blades all attached to a metal/plastic centre point.The construction is really quite sturdy so don’t worry too much about how hard you push on it when removing the impeller,just make sure you apply pressure to the centre not the blades.

With the impeller removed we can get a closer look at the mechanics of the Gamer Storm GF120 fan.The presence of lots of copper in the motor makes me feel like this is a high quality product.

Japanese Fluid Dynamic Bearing & high-quality IC to offer a super noise level.

Test System and Methology

In these tests i used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as my heatsink of choice.In this test i ran each fan at 100% speed to maintain steady results.Load tests were done using Prime95.This ultimately means the load temperatures won’t be considered real world scenario results.I just wanted to see how this fan performs at its max.

Test Platform

Processor:AMD Athlon II x4 645
    CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Motherboard:MSI 870A-G54 (FX)
    Memory:Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1600)
    Video Cards:Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
    Power Supply:Antec Edge 650W
    Case:NZXT Phantom 410

Performance

As you can see from my results,the Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 out performed all other fans.

Noise level

I am going to walk you briefly through the Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 fan and show you how its acoustic performance stacks up against some competing fans.GF120 was complete silent at 7 while at 12V it was almost silent.The only thing that was possible to hear is the moving air through the fan at very short distance.

Conclusion

At the end of the day some might say,a fan is a fan.However, we can clearly see there is a lot more to it than that.I am not speaking this from a quantity point of view, but rather, quality.The list of enhancements is staggering. One would never think this much thought went into a product that is an afterthought for many.From the top,there is the Triple-Proof Design (Dustproof, Waterproof, Oil-leakage proof),FDB bearing, patented design 100% De-Vibration TPE cover,Optimized Airflow with Centralized Flow Pattern and of course PWM function.The Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 fan is ideal for someone looking for a quiet fan for their CPU cooler that has the ability to offer more cooling performance when needed but still remain mainly silent during all usage scenarios.Looking at the fan from a cost perspective tells you the price of all the engineering and design work that has been put into this fan.At around 20 US Dollars,the price is steep compared to other fans,though you do get a well-designed product for your price of entry.

The Deepcool Gamer Storm GF120 fan is a brilliant demonstration of amazing aerodynamics and low acoustic noise profile at work. At the end of the day,I feel that Deepcool has hit a home run with the Gamer Storm GF120.

Last edited by testman78; 11-16-2014 at 11:02 AM.