Thread: New video cards( sort of..:P).

Xtreme Member

Question New video cards( sort of..:P).

I've got a particular issue that has arisen with the latest games, and being a triple display user with 1440p screens, the latest games eat video card memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the high quality settings I play at across 3 screens and all this time I've been using R290's( 4 of them, reference design), which as we know ship with 4GB of ram onboard, until these have shown up and may save the day:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814202129

Yes, R290's with 8GB of ram on each card, and there's even cheaper ones from power color at 499$ Canadian, but the kicker on me pulling the trigger is if the reference water blocks from EK that I already own, will still fit on these cards as they could have the same number of memory chips but each one being twice the density, meaning going from 256MB on each of the 16 modules for the 4GB cards, to 512MB modules on the 8GB version, and everything else is the same layout wise so the blocks will fit just fine as they do on the 4GB cards...

Fired off an Email to EK, but still no response and the same for the vendor where I usually buy my water cooling gear, but I was wondering that since these versions have been on sale earlier in Europe, some here might already know the answer as they're tried it themselves...

Xtreme Member
    Nice looking card!
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

The Vapour X cards do not use a reference PCB, it is custom. The 8GB will no doubt fit EK's custom PCB water block though.

Edit: Yep, it is on the compatability list
    http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/w.../3831109869192

Xtreme Member
    I have the reference 290 blocks, so it's a no for me as the vapor-X block is longer and has the VRM's in another location compared to the original reference blocks.

Meaning if I do get the cards, I also need 4 new blocks and with the next generation of cards coming up in the new few months, I think i'll wait and see what those bring to the table in terms of performance increases, amount of onboard ram, and how much they'll cost to see if it's worth it.......Worse case scenario it'll make these R290's with 8GB onboard cheaper than they are now.