Thread: Need Help with asus z8z and cpu compatability

Need Help with asus z8z and cpu compatability

Hey, I've purchased an asus z87-a motherboard and i was wanting to use to the g3258 anniversary pentium with it but upon further research i've realised that it won't work with this motherboard without a bios update which im unable to do. I've checked asus's website for cpu compatibility but it's ltierally useless as it states the board is compatible with all 1150's copu's with all versions of the bios for this board which i know is untrue. Assuming this board is running the default bios would any body be able to tell me which i3's would be ok for use with this board without any bios update.

Thank you.

Xtreme Member
    It says that BIOS rev 1707 and up will support 4th gen CPUs. Is there a reason you can't update the bios?
    HTPC : Ryzen, NH D-15, ASUS Crosshir VI Hero
    , 2x8 Team 3000, Asus GTX 980 Strix, Win10 Pro

http://hwbot.org/user/johan45

I thought every cpu released for the Z87 would be considered 4th gen cpu's that's why i find it fairly confusing. I can't update the bios because i don't have the board yet and i believe it may be running what ever the stock bios is so i need to pick a cpu that will work with the stock bios but i can't figure out which these would be. Thanks for your reply.

Xtreme Addict
    Hello

Please see the thread linked below. Specifically post #60. I don't remember if the Z87-A has BIOS Flashback. If not you will need a different CPU to flash the BIOS if the board is not already at a version that supports the CPU.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...I-Motherboards
    Last edited by Praz; 11-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Hi. No the z87-a doesn't have flashback unfortunately, The plus does which i wanted to buy but couldn't. I just want to know if any of the i3's will work on this with the default bios

Hm, i used one Refresh chip in a build already and experienced no problems. Going to have to assume the MB just came with the updated bios (ASUS B85M-G). I did nothing to it myself. Customer has been using it two weeks now.