Thread: TitanZ. Did I make a mistake? Recommendations.

TitanZ. Did I make a mistake? Recommendations.

I ordered a Asus Geforce TitanZ 12GB card as an upgrade to my MSI 7950 3GB, well, I still get FPS down to ~37 on Diablo III when there is a load of animations on the screen. I found out after that a single GTX 970 or 980 should overcome the TitanZ in gaming performance, should I RMA the TitanZ to Newegg and have them send a pair of 980's Out? I also do video transcoding and the extra power of the TitanZ on that forefront should come in handy, but, I primarily game.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So let me get this straight....

You bought a TitanZ.
    Your performance isn't what you'd had hoped.
    You want to do an RMA on a perfectly working card just because you aren't happy with the performance.

I'd tell you what I think of that kind of attitude, but I'd get a warning for telling you where to go.

RMAs are for people that have BROKEN equipment. If you were too stupid to buy the right product, that's entirely YOUR fault. Nobody made you buy it.

/smh

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    So let me get this straight....

You bought a TitanZ.
    Your performance isn't what you'd had hoped.
    You want to do an RMA on a perfectly working card just because you aren't happy with the performance.

I'd tell you what I think of that kind of attitude, but I'd get a warning for telling you where to go.

RMAs are for people that have BROKEN equipment. If you were too stupid to buy the right product, that's entirely YOUR fault. Nobody made you buy it.

/smh
    Agreed

TitanZ is really a workstation card and not for gaming, well it can but I think you see what happens when you do that.

I would agree, but, when someone orders a $1500 "GAMING MONSTER" (quoted directly from neweggs site), they do tend to expect more performance than it offers on that front. I did read the specs, I did look at what limited reviews there are for it, and I did see what it should do. I also know that it was under the "Desktop" Section for graphics cards, not Workstation/Server section, and, it is referred to as a "Gaming Monster", not a "Unpolished could suffice to play Gaming Mongrel".

EDIT**: Also, if someone you respect says to get this and you won't be dis-appointed, and you do, and are dis-appointed, isn't that irritating? Especially when you buy it from them?
    Last edited by Nightcreeper; 11-03-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added Comment

Administrator
    It does say that...

The TitanZ is a dual GPU card if I am not mistaken. Are you sure its running in SLI ?
    Did you do a clean driver install and all that jazz ?

D3 is not a title that requires a lot of GPU horse power so I might think that its either running as a single GPU or there are driver issues.
    How about other games ?

I was at Nvidia when Jen got up on stage and said TitanZ was the answer to what workstation guys wanted, that's why I said it was that kind of card. I have not run a Z yet but I would love to get my hands on one or two for work related stuff.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Agreed

TitanZ is really a workstation card and not for gaming, well it can but I think you see what happens when you do that.
    its as good as titan sli? just because the price puts it into workstation card does not mean that its not equally as good for gaming. or does price chance performance? its more of an inbetween card, not really a workstation not really a gaming card (only because of the price)

AMD/Nvidia have always had issues with Crossfire/SLI functioning correctly, this is why i sold my dual cards and went to single, in theory dual cards are awesome, but in reality they are never work the problems that come with them, after my dual 290x i will never go back to dual gpu's.

also, titan Z is a dual gpu card, blizzard games dont support SLi/Crossfire do they?
    EDit: looks like it does support but has terrible scaling issues and driver support issues, i would recomend turning off sli when playing d3 and turning it back on when wanting to play a game that would actually use the dual gpu's (i.e. FPS)
    Last edited by NKrader; 11-03-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Administrator
    Yeah NKrader I have hand my share of issues with games not supporting SLI, or doing so poorly. Many FTP games do not support SLI also.
    I run a 690gtx atm, but soon to be replaced. I never had issues with D3 tho.
    I am not 100% sure if D3 supports SLI tho., it still runs great on the 690gtx either way.

c[_]
    Just set up a D3 profile in the drivers so SLI is disabled for it.

Dont know why your FPS sucks, no reason for it to suck with a card that powerful. Do you have a crap CPU or do you have a ton of TSR's running?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Just set up a D3 profile in the drivers so SLI is disabled for it.

Dont know why your FPS sucks, no reason for it to suck with a card that powerful. Do you have a crap CPU or do you have a ton of TSR's running?
    according his sig...he has i7-3930K unless he has downgraded...should be powerful enough for 4 diablo3s at the same time, no idea why your FPS is so low

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    This sounds like a driver issue. I do a fair bit of D3 on SLi 680s here, and even at 5760x1080 performance with everything on max settings is smooth. I'd suggest setting the game to run in borderless window mode and see if that helps.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightcreeper View Post
    I would agree, but, when someone orders a $1500 "GAMING MONSTER" (quoted directly from neweggs site), they do tend to expect more performance than it offers on that front. I did read the specs, I did look at what limited reviews there are for it, and I did see what it should do. I also know that it was under the "Desktop" Section for graphics cards, not Workstation/Server section, and, it is referred to as a "Gaming Monster", not a "Unpolished could suffice to play Gaming Mongrel".
    Yes, i found that... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121874

The thing is, that's a straight copy/paste from Asus' Propaganda page. And it should be taken as such. Every company is going to go short of lying to your face to sell a product, and it's *your* job to know what is and isn't a lie.

Check this out... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116950

Are you f'in serious? I love Intel, but really?

The Intel? Pentium? processor is perfect for all your everyday tasks-from streaming HD movies and videos to editing music and photos.

Great performance: Choose the Intel Pentium processor for excellent performance that won't slow you down. From high-quality gaming to streaming HD videos and movies, the Pentium can do everything you need.
    Really? High quality gaming? Is this a joke!?

EDIT**: Also, if someone you respect says to get this and you won't be dis-appointed, and you do, and are dis-appointed, isn't that irritating? Especially when you buy it from them?
    The salesman will always say his stuff is better than anything else on the market. And you should be factoring that in when deciding if what is coming from his mouth is the truth.

You were just too gullible and took someone at their word. Look at what it got you. Unhappiness. Do yourself a favor and do more searching (and less listening to those that have something to gain from what comes out of their mouth). Don't take this the wrong way, but you are *exactly* the kind of person politicians love. They'll get you to vote for them while giving you a big dildo in the butt. You gotta be better than that, be ready to call them out on their lies, and be ready to buy the product only when you are 100% sure it *is* what you want.

Well, I do understand what you guys are saying. I also understand the ONLY reason we don't have "false-advertising" laws anymore is because there is nothing we can do to over seas companies about it (Funnily, I thought we could just start seizing their stuff coming into our country until they complied, and if that didn't work, STOP sending our stuff to them); however, we do still have the ability to hold the "Seller" responsible. In the "I agree" crap you click on, if it says anything about arbitration, it is null and void. There is a right (Bill of Rights) that says any dispute valued over $20 you have a right to trial by Jury, any agreement that asks you to waive that right is null and void, just like you can't enter to an agreement of indentured servitude. I believe in holding party's that SHOULD be accountable for something accountable for it. Newegg is looking into the issue of that now, and has accepted the card back. Now, hopefully, they get some GTX 980's in stock, looking at those SLI or maybe 970's in Tri-SLI. Which way would you think be the best for future-proofing and performance now. I think the 2 980's would suffice now, and I could always add a third and then a fourth later.

BTW, what kills the TitanZ is the fact that the clock is lowered to just over 700MHz to control temps. But, other than that, they are the exact same ?GK110? chips, and should be able to be pushed ALOT higher with some water or phase change cooling.

Also, the only time it dipped was in Multiplayer, when there was ALOT of animations on screen. And yes, it is on a SSD, I have even ran in on a RAM-Drive. The dip down to under 60 was what I was trying to eliminate. But, to me, that was a deal killer, like getting a 50-cal to get rid of the pesky rabbit, and the bullet bounces off......

And yes, I still have a 3930K that runs at 3.75GHz all cores on "Turbo" mode (love my Sabertooth X79 because of that) in my rig.
    Last edited by Nightcreeper; 11-04-2014 at 05:46 AM.