Thread: Board for a dual-X5672 cruncher?

Xtreme Member

Board for a dual-X5672 cruncher?

So I've just picked up a pair of Xeon X5672s on [H] because the price was too good to pass up. I'm now in the market for a board and heatsinks. Anyone who has experience with dual-LGA1366 have a suggestion for what to try? Other relevant HW is approximately 10 2GB sticks of regular DDR3 (although I don't need to use it all, even 8GB would be plenty) and a 550w PSU from an old dual-socket 940 Sun workstation.

I know, I know, I'm not an XS cruncher but it's still crunching anyways :p
    WCG Rigs: 184 threads, mostly i7s

Xtreme Cruncher
    As far as I'm concerned - you're one of us.

Unfortunately, I now next to nothing about dual socket systems...

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned - you're one of us.

Unfortunately, I now next to nothing about dual socket systems...
    Thanks

What do you guys think of something like this? At $100 the price is very good, I've had good luck with SuperMicro in the last, and I don't see any major downsides to it (aside from the wonky size/shape). I'm trying to see if the seller will do $120 for this, which has the advantage of a regular form factor and standard tower coolers.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [Ion] View Post
    Thanks

What do you guys think of something like this? At $100 the price is very good, I've had good luck with SuperMicro in the last, and I don't see any major downsides to it (aside from the wonky size/shape). I'm trying to see if the seller will do $120 for this, which has the advantage of a regular form factor and standard tower coolers.
    The X8DTU is a pretty nice board. But you will need two 12V 8 pin connectors on your PSU, plus a 20 pin connector. And since its a weird 12.05"x13.05" size, who knows what fits that outside of SuperMicro's chassis.
    The X8DTi-F is a nice board. However you will need two 12V 8 pin connectors on your power supply, in addition to a 24 pin connector. Also, its a 12"x13" E-ATX, which may or may not fit your case, depending on what you have.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    The X8DTU is a pretty nice board. But you will need two 12V 8 pin connectors on your PSU, plus a 20 pin connector. And since its a weird 12.05"x13.05" size, who knows what fits that outside of SuperMicro's chassis.
    The X8DTi-F is a nice board. However you will need two 12V 8 pin connectors on your power supply, in addition to a 24 pin connector. Also, its a 12"x13" E-ATX, which may or may not fit your case, depending on what you have.
    Needing two 8pin plugs is no issue; the PSU only has one, but I have a second plug pulled off of an old broken PSU that I can easily solder on (in fact, I'm actually heading to the lab here at school after class today to try and do just that).
    Current plan is to run this system caseless (currently I have a FX8350 that's running caseless on a shelf; what I'd do is stick the FX8350 in an ATX mid-tower and put the Xeons on that shelf). However, an eATX board that could be put into a case later is certainly superior to one that could not. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, but it well could be.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Am currently crunching with X5670's (dually) on a super micro X8DTI-F motherboard. I use Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. There are newer ones out now. If its only going to be a cruncher, don't put a GPU card on it if you want to keep the electric bill down. Mine is chewing around 250 watts right now crunching 23 threads. I would shop around as 1366 is pretty out dated so possibly finding a board for around 50 bucks or check newegg for an open box board. You might want a bigger PSU. If WCG comes out with another GPU project, you can put a good GPU to crunch with but boy does it suck the juice. Mine was around 500 watts but made a crap load of points.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Am currently crunching with X5670's (dually) on a super micro X8DTI-F motherboard. I use Thermalright U120eXtrem1366RT R-C 120mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. There are newer ones out now. If its only going to be a cruncher, don't put a GPU card on it if you want to keep the electric bill down. Mine is chewing around 250 watts right now crunching 23 threads. I would shop around as 1366 is pretty out dated so possibly finding a board for around 50 bucks or check newegg for an open box board. You might want a bigger PSU. If WCG comes out with another GPU project, you can put a good GPU to crunch with but boy does it suck the juice. Mine was around 500 watts but made a crap load of points.
    Well, that sounds like a vote for the X8DTI-F if nothing else. I'm not planning on running a GPU--I'll probably pop in my Quadro 400 to install the OS and get stuff configured, since I've found that Linux and the iGPU on server boards don't get along well (my Supermicro H8QGI-F being one notable offender) but would pull it out after that. I figure that just running the CPUs, 550w ought to be plenty; DC draw should be no more than half that. But if GPU projects do come out again, I'm well prepared; I can easily fire up the two in my main desktop and I have open slots all over the place. And I can always buy a new PSU then should it be necessary.
    It seems that finding a quality board for $50 would be hard--I'd rather shell out $100 or $110 for a decent Supermicro or Intel board.

Xtreme Member
    Needing two 8pin plugs is no issue; the PSU only has one, but I have a second plug pulled off of an old broken PSU that I can easily solder on (in fact, I'm actually heading to the lab here at school after class today to try and do just that).
    Current plan is to run this system caseless (currently I have a FX8350 that's running caseless on a shelf; what I'd do is stick the FX8350 in an ATX mid-tower and put the Xeons on that shelf). However, an eATX board that could be put into a case later is certainly superior to one that could not. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money, but it well could be.
    Well having 2 8 pin PSU connectors is only part of the equation. They need to pump out 12V, otherwise the board won't have enough power.

As far as the $50 open box motherboards, maybe it is because I have never looked specifically for them, but quite honestly I have never seen them for $50. In fact, I have rarely seen SuperMicro LGA SuperMicro boards for under $150, though admittedly its been a few months since I looked. I'd probably go with the X8DTi-F because its an E-ATX standard size, so if you want to put it in a case, you can find a few that will take it.

Bearcat, how much better are the Thermalright coolers than stock passive SuperMicro coolers or other LGA 1366 coolers you are using?
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Well having 2 8 pin PSU connectors is only part of the equation. They need to pump out 12V, otherwise the board won't have enough power.

As far as the $50 open box motherboards, maybe it is because I have never looked specifically for them, but quite honestly I have never seen them for $50. In fact, I have rarely seen SuperMicro LGA SuperMicro boards for under $150, though admittedly its been a few months since I looked. I'd probably go with the X8DTi-F because its an E-ATX standard size, so if you want to put it in a case, you can find a few that will take it.

Bearcat, how much better are the Thermalright coolers than stock passive SuperMicro coolers or other LGA 1366 coolers you are using?
    Yes, I understand that. And I can solder the plug in so that it's 12V, that's not an issue provided I'm allowed to use the equipment here (which I ought to be able to).

The X8DTi-F does seem like the best option here. But I'll see if I can get one + heatsinks for $120 on Ebay.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I went with these so I didn't have to listen to the noise of the smaller coolers. This cruncher is in my bedroom. The fan management on this motherboard kind of sucks so purchased a fan controller so I could crank up the fans in the summer. The bigger heat sinks and attached fans do a real good job keeping it cool. The trues are the best for this size cooler but there are other similar ones out there. Unless you go with a SR2 board, OC'ing is out so it will run at normal thermal temps. One thing that does suck on these is they are dust magnets and suck to clean. I need to get off my ass and configure a filter to slow the dust collecting down. Am using a corsair 800D case. Works pretty good.
    Oh, the stock fans that came with mine sucked so bought better flowing fans at low RPM's.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It seems that finding a quality board for $50 would be hard--I'd rather shell out $100 or $110 for a decent Supermicro or Intel board.
    They aren't cheap boards but do a little searching to see if you get lucky. I did a search and saw the average price is around 1 hundred bucks. What case will you be using? Those small fans are loud so either put it in the basement or buy good size heat sinks and fans to lower the noise. I learned the hard way on those small fans. Sound like a jet taking off when it hits a certain temp.

Xtreme Member
    They aren't cheap boards but do a little searching to see if you get lucky. I did a search and saw the average price is around 1 hundred bucks. What case will you be using? Those small fans are loud so either put it in the basement or buy good size heat sinks and fans to lower the noise. I learned the hard way on those small fans. Sound like a jet taking off when it hits a certain temp.
    Current plan is caseless. If I'm able to find a suitable case later on I'll pick one up, but for now it'll just run open on a shelf.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look for a used one of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811123130
    A little tight but works when I had this board in there. Still have one downstairs that will put this current cruncher in when I build another dually.

Xtreme Member
    Look for a used one of these... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811123130
    A little tight but works when I had this board in there. Still have one downstairs that will put this current cruncher in when I build another dually.
    Yeah I'd be happy to go with something like that....if I can find something like that locally, it would be ideal; otherwise shipping to the east coast would likely be killer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16811123130R
    Doesn't state shipping cost so would call them to try for free shipping. Pretty much the same as the other.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I decided to go with the Supermicro X8DTI. I'll probably buy a case at some point, but for the time being it's not in the budget.

I always just pickup a Rosewill Armor Evo when I do cheap dual 1366 rigs
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace123 View Post
    I always just pickup a Rosewill Armor Evo when I do cheap dual 1366 rigs
    That's a future possibility, but it's $90, and everything else I need for this system (board + CPUs + coolers + PSU) has been $212. $90 is a lot more when it's not really necessary.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have a dual Opteron 8356 that has been crunching for 2 years sitting on a plastic shelf along with a few open case machines. Cases serve a purpose but are in no way a have too for a cruncher.

Post a few pics when ya get it all together.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 11-01-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I came close to using a stereo case (tall with glass front) when I had 3 duallies at one time. 5 shelves with dually boards would have been a sweet mega cruncher.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    I have a dual Opteron 8356 that has been crunching for 2 years sitting on a plastic shelf along with a few open case machines. Cases serve a purpose but are in no way a have too for a cruncher.

Post a few pics when ya get it all together.
    Sure thing
    CPUs are supposed to be here Monday and the board + coolers will be here later this week.

Xtreme Member
    Alright, well, I have a case (an Apevia X-Jupiter; gaudy and flimsy but it was $5), the coolers arrived today (Supermicro fanless 1U ones) and the board + CPUs ought to be here tomorrow.

Do you guys have any stellar suggestions on how to attach a 92mm fan to one of these?

The coolers and fans are pretty much exactly the same size, but the coolers lack a way of easily mounting a fan to them...

EDIT: decided to go with rubber bands!

System now in operation:
    Last edited by [Ion]; 11-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.