Thread: A word to the wise

Xtreme Legend

A word to the wise

Over the past while the trend has been for projects to move to a 7 day deadline.....

BUT

Since the run down at the end of the HCMD2 when run times were all over the place and otherwise reasonable machines were over-caching, There was a limit imposed of 25 tasks per logical core.

That limit has simply never been removed.

This has huge implications for anyone wanting to hit the ground running at the start of the 10 year challenge.

Those of you who have a Gig or more of ram per core and ssd's can probably cache 10 days work by running CEP2 but everybody else will fall short I think as the runtime of any wu under these conditions must exceed 9.6 hours to get a full 10 day cache.

I think one might even have to load 2 or more separate instances of each machine to achieve the goal.

Anyway.... Some food for thought even if just for the few who want to pursue this.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

I guess I never fully understood the idea behind caching up a bunch of work... Sure, it "helps" that first day or whatever, but at the expensive of days leading up to it, and in the end what's really the difference?

The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Legend
    The Difference?
    For the individual: zero
    For the team total (average): zero
    For points in a competition: up to DOUBLE

.....and perhaps that "Ho Lee Crap" moment when checking the numbers on the first day

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Is there a way for a machine to upload results early?
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Legend
    Cannot upload anything until 16 NOV 2014 Midnight UTC or after the nightime update time to be safe. That is if it is to count for the competition.

As I see it, if your cache runs out before then your only choice is to set up anew on another drive...... or just sit and wait until the deadline then change network comms to yes.

As above.... CEP2 wu's are long enough not to fall foul of this issue