Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nvidia created GameWorks to advance gaming at a faster pace.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanfox View Post
    Code written by Nvidia, heavily optimized for Nvidia and effectively lowers AMD performance. Ubisoft has been the biggest partner for this.
    Perfect example: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/far.../1100-6423415/

"Optimal" is a 680 for Nvidia, but for AMD they recommend a 290x...

Xtreme Enthusiast

I don't see the issue here, if AMD was the more dominant company they'd be doing the same thing to Nvidia. That's just business, you maximize the optimisation for your product and if that messes with the competition well that's two birds with one stone.

Either way graphics are all good and great but can we also get an original game once in a while rather than something with 3 or 4 in the title while we're at it?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    I don't see the issue here, if AMD was the more dominant company they'd be doing the same thing to Nvidia. That's just business, you maximize the optimisation for your product and if that messes with the competition well that's two birds with one stone.

Either way graphics are all good and great but can we also get an original game once in a while rather than something with 3 or 4 in the title while we're at it?
    It's not like it's optimizing drivers, it's putting specific code in game built specifically for your GPU that hampers the competition in the process. This would be a problem if AMD was doing it, too. It's going to create a rift between AAA titles where instead of natural contenders competing against each other (say 7970 vs 680, 290x vs 780 Ti/290x, etc), you have a mismatch of competitors cards and performance. That IS bad for gamers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not like it's optimizing drivers, it's putting specific code in game built specifically for your GPU that hampers the competition in the process. This would be a problem if AMD was doing it, too. It's going to create a rift between AAA titles where instead of natural contenders competing against each other (say 7970 vs 680, 290x vs 780 Ti/290x, etc), you have a mismatch of competitors cards and performance. That IS bad for gamers.
    The same argument can be made for Mantle (AMD's differentiator) and developers not putting as much effort into DirectX/OpenGL API support for those titles. They both focus on their own product range and try to maximise that and to call one bad and not the other is bad. In general these technologies are a good thing and AMD should either work on supporting them or making their own equivalents. Same goes for Nvidia & Mantle etc but that's another story.

Great avatar btw.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    I keep seeing people make this claim but I can't for the life of me find a single instance where this happened in the private sector. A far more likely scenario would be AMD continuing down their road to bankruptcy and eventually selling off the graphics division to a company like Apple, Samsung, or even a company not in the tech sector that wants to expand in that direction. This notion that nVidia would just sit back, relax, and end their 20 year mission of moving graphics technology forward, is just foolish.
    You missed the entire G9x product cycle I assume? Nvidia is just the company to sit back and do nothing for years without a reason to move forward. The longest rehash in the history of GPU's was a direct result of lack of competition to force a change and for that, gamers suffered. And it gets even worse if you take into account that the G9x were nothing more than tweaked G8x parts making things even worse. I mean it's bad when a high end product 3 generations later is tied and often beaten by it's great great grandfather i.e. GTS 250 A.K.A. 9800 GTX\GTX+, A.K.A. 8800 GTS G92 and the often better 8800 GTX
    Last edited by WARDOZER9; 11-08-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

I partly agree with you wardozer, we see major die changes for things like DX to maintain but we do not see huge performance improvements.

It would be nice to see Nvidia hold themselves to a performance schedule, to hit certain goals and deliver new tech at an improved pace.

But this thread is about improving games with support for developers. Brute force methodology doesn't work so well any more when we have so many constraints on the entire system.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

nVidia had to get a little 'marketing' propaganda for all that cash they put up ...

From [H]ard|OCP

Xtreme Addict
    Well, after batman, Watchdog, Assassin Creed unity, and maybe Farcry4 soon.. i think we will need to retain what advance mean lol... Nice joke...
    Last edited by Lanek; 11-14-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Well, after batman, Watchdog, Assassin Creed unity, and maybe Farcry4 soon.. i think we will need to retain what advance mean lol... Nice joke...
    it was all AMD's fault
    http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/1...or-performance

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

c[_]
    Its not those $99 "micro" payments to pay for nVidia's technology causing the performance issues?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123