Thread: AMD Ramdisk

Xtreme Enthusiast

AMD Ramdisk

Anyone using this to crunch with? Have seen other ramdisk software in the past but never bothered to invest in them. Not a bad price. Since I have 48GB ram in my dually, thought maybe using a ramdisk could help speed things up a bit. Would be using this on Win7 pro.
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

Went ahead and bought the 64GB version, drained boinc so I could uninstall/reinstall to the ram drive. So far so good.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 10-26-2014 at 12:09 PM.

i love AMD but http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

it's free

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Cruncher
    LOL. Another thread on ramdisks. It's funny how RAMdisks never get old. Guess mentioning them a week ago started a craze. :P

This is what I use. Not only is it free but it has the highest benchmarks of any software RAM disk out there.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    LOL. Another thread on ramdisks. It's funny how RAMdisks never get old. Guess mentioning them a week ago started a craze. :P

This is what I use. Not only is it free but it has the highest benchmarks of any software RAM disk out there.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/
    according to this quick test i just did...the ramdisk i use is rubbish, and i suddenly feel a lot less

here's the readeon ramdisk
    Last edited by Evantaur; 10-26-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Evantaur - well you got the fast one now right?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, trust me. If there's some hacky way of applying hardware in a non-conventional way to achieve an objective with WCG I've probably done it.

I used to use imdisk. Not a bad program but after reading about how fast Softperfect was and testing it I never went back.

This is old hat for me. Don't let my comments discourage you. The more that do this stuff and walk away with experience the better off we all are. To be honest, it's a little weird to me that the WCG group in this forum went through this all in 2009/2010 and now we're going over it all over again like it's new.

Anyone know how to find my posts from a few years ago when I built what I called "the rack"? I had pictures and stuff that people might enjoy since everything old is new again.

In short it was an iSCSI server and 5 or 6 workstations that were diskless. They booted from the iSCSI server and their WUs were stored on hardware RAMdisks (Acard ANS-9010) with 32GB of RAM. One or two of the workstations had 2+ video cards each, all doing crazy crunching. It was on wheels and portable. It had a 30 foot network cable and power cord and everything was powered and got network connections from those. When I blizzard came to my area I turned the heat off in my house, wheeled "the rack" into my bedroom, shut the bedroom door and stayed in there for 2 days until the storm passed. Haha.
    Last edited by josh1980; 10-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    When I blizzard came to my area I turned the heat off in my house, wheeled "the rack" into my bedroom, shut the bedroom door and stayed in there for 2 days until the storm passed. Haha.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Will try softperfect on my other cruncher and see how it goes. I would presume speed tests would vary with the type of ram used,motherboard. You would think tests on the same computer would yield close results. Are those results you posted from the same computer?

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Will try softperfect on my other cruncher and see how it goes. I would presume speed tests would vary with the type of ram used,motherboard. You would think tests on the same computer would yield close results. Are those results you posted from the same computer?
    i just literally did those after Josh's comment... all from the same computer...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    i just literally did those after Josh's comment... all from the same computer...
    Can you list your computer specs and OS? Looking at those numbers gets me wondering if its the hardware or software causing such a big difference. Dam, I spent 16 bucks on AMD's version. Going to download all 3 free versions and try them on my 4930K system and see what I get.

Installed softperfect ramdisk. Now I cannot start my resource monitor. Tried different ways to start it but won't start. WTF? Was always able to view it before the install.

This program FUBAR'd my system. Have to do a clean install. When I installed softperfect, was asked if I wanted to install a driver. My guess this driver screwed up my system. Thats what I get for trying free crap.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 10-27-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    tmpfs
    Adapt as you see fit.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

well it didn't go exactly smoothly

came home from work to see this

63 World Community Grid 28.10.2014 19:27:47 Message from server: FightAIDS@Home - Vina needs 100.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 100.00 MB.
    64 World Community Grid 28.10.2014 19:27:47 Message from server: FightAIDS@Home - AutoDock needs 300.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 300.00 MB.
    65 World Community Grid 28.10.2014 19:27:47 Message from server: The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2 needs 2560.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 2560.00 MB.
    66 World Community Grid 28.10.2014 19:27:47 Message from server: Mapping Cancer Markers needs 500.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 500.00 MB.
    67 World Community Grid 28.10.2014 19:27:47 Message from server: Uncovering Genome Mysteries needs 500.00MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 500.00 MB.

i have 27GB free on my hard drive

edit. reinstalling boinc solved this... still not sure what caused it
    Last edited by Evantaur; 10-28-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Can you list your computer specs and OS?
    I7-4930K, Kingston HyperX Beast 2400MHz 8GBx4
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks. Not sure why it nuked my system but will load up the free version of AMD's on this computer and try it out. Since your test is on the same computer, it has to be be software related for the difference in the speed test. The paid version on my dually rig is working great.

Update: Installed the free version (4GB) on my 6 core cruncher. Working like a charm. Crunching 11 threads only takes 388 mb of the 4GB. Dam, probably could have used the free version on my 24 threaded dually. Oh well, have other plans for the empty space.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 10-29-2014 at 03:39 PM.