Thread: New Build PSU/EMI Problems (with sexy pc picture)

Xtreme Member

New Build PSU/EMI Problems (with sexy pc picture)

SO I just built a new PC, and have run into a problem. My PSU is whinging. There is a high pitched whine (which is common due to bad caps I believe) but my question is.. would the bad PSU be the cause for an EMI problem I have?

I cant listen to my headphones via the onboard audio, I have to use my headsets USB connecter.

Here it is:
    Case - Antec 1200
    Psu - Corsair HX 620w
    Mobo - Gigabyte ga-p55a-UD4
    Cpu - Intel Core i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    Ram - Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600mhz 7-8-7-20
    Gc - 2x Nvidia Gigabyte 260GTX OC 1gb SLI
    Hdd's - 4x Seagate Barracuda's (2 in raid0)

Watercooling setup

Pump - 12V Laing DDC-1T Ultra with Acrylic Pump Top
    Rad - 240mm Black Ice GT Stealth II
    CPU block - Swiftech Apogee XT
    Res - XSPC Single-bay res
    Tubing - 1/2" ID
    Fluid - Distilled Water

Sorry no one has answered. It is not likely the whining is due to bad caps. Corsair is not known for making inferior PSUs. I would suspect and test the fan first by gently touching, for just a second or two, the center hub of the PSU's fan with a wooden glue/Popsicle stick. Touching the center hub will slow rotation down just a bit. If the fan is the making the noise, slowing rotation speeds will change the pitch of whining noise. If the noise remains constant, then you ruled out that fan. Note too that vibration (mechanically generated) noises often travel and reverberate through metal cases making it difficult to determine the source of said noise. So try the wooden stick trick on all your fans.

If none of the fans are making the noise, and you are certain the sound is coming from the PSU (stick you ear in the back or the PSU) then I would suspect loose transformer windings before bad caps.

Why do you say EMI? EMI (electromagnet interference) is caused by electromagnetic induction or electromagnetic radiation emitted from an external source. That is, for example, from a damaged microwave oven or nearby old TV with broken down RF "shielding" is causing some sort of interference to be introduced into your computer and audio circuitry. That is possible, but not likely - IF all your power and data connections are tight and securely fastened. EMI/RFI typically creates a buzz or noise in your audio (or video with analog graphics). That is, you would ONLY hear it coming out of your speakers/headphones.

If certain it is your PSU, send it back. A good PSU should not make any noise, except very low fan noise and even then, that should be only when the PSU is being pushed hard.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Windows Expert ? IT Pro, 2007 - 2015

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Xtreme Addict
    Has nothing to do with caps. It is coil whine.

It can also be coming from your GPU's. (9 out of 10 its usually coming from the GPU's)
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump