Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New job, sort of

2.4C killer

New job, sort of

Hey guys, just added 70ghz of parts that were going to be recycled. All i5 and i7 laptops. Went into the storage room to show my boss I can fix anything and I came out with 10-15 of these all with HT all doing WCG It's cool because they were all going to be recycled. Except one that was a i7 iMac that he gave me to learn Macs a little more (took like an hour).

Anyways, I work for a DoD contractor in San Diego. I was the systems engineer the C4I networks on Navy ships but they saw how much of a nerd I am and gave me a job in lead IT. Our budget for IT this fiscal year is $1,000,000. I can build any computer I want, was thinking a dual socket 18 core Haswell-EP. Any other suggestions? And yes it will do WCG

I did the math with what we have...if I wanted I could add 3,000ghz of I5 and I7 Ivy Bridge and Haswell power with HT. Hmm maybe I'll hold off on that for now for a later date

Keeping track of CPU's crunching

22c/44t
    Last edited by Peen; 10-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome!

Yeah might be best to scale up slowly. Let them get used to it and see what it is doing.

Good luck with new position.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peen View Post
    Hey guys, just added 70ghz of parts that were going to be recycled. All i5 and i7 laptops. Went into the storage room to show my boss I can fix anything and I came out with 10-15 of these all with HT all doing WCG It's cool because they were all going to be recycled. Except one that was a i7 iMac that he gave me to learn Macs a little more (took like an hour).

Anyways, I work for a DoD contractor in San Diego. I was the systems engineer the C4I networks on Navy ships but they saw how much of a nerd I am and gave me a job in lead IT. Our budget for IT this fiscal year is $1,000,000. I can build any computer I want, was thinking a dual socket 18 core Haswell-EP. Any other suggestions? And yes it will do WCG

I did the math with what we have...if I wanted I could add 3,000ghz of I5 and I7 Ivy Bridge and Haswell power with HT. Hmm maybe I'll hold off on that for now for a later date
    Well, if they have given you carte blanche, this might be fun to put together with 8 Xeon E5-2697 v2's:

http://www.supermicro.com.tw/product...7TR-H71RF_.cfm
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Oh this could be fun
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

2.4C killer
    Yes it will be Sorry was a bit buzzed when I wrote that before.

People tend to break screens, keyboards or just have general software issues on their laptops, and they usually just get a new one. They are all i5 (2C/4T) Ivy Bridges or better. Each one that comes to me will get a fresh install and start crunching. These little guys have good power/perf ratio for WCG

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Peen, Keep a close eye on the CPU temperatures of these laptops. Some laptop cannot handle all out WCG crunching at their advertize boosted and even non-boosted core MHz without overheating.

Happy buzzing....

One piece of advice... wherever you decide to plug these in and run them, make sure you got at least informal approval before hand. It's won't be fun if your New Job is shorter than you planned. Best of luck.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    Peen, Keep a close eye on the CPU temperatures of these laptops. Some laptop cannot handle all out WCG crunching at their advertize boosted and even non-boosted core MHz without overheating.
    Usually when a laptop overheats, there are two main reasons: CPU thermal paste application is screwed up and/or the fan/exhaust/intake grill is gummed up. A squirt or two of canned air will usually(but not always) get the dust/gunk out of the intake/exhaust system. The thermal paste, well that one requires some effort.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

2.4C killer
    I check the temps, about 75c all out, fan's don't even spin up all the way. I went through them all and did some cleaning. Some are missing keyboards and screens. They seem to pull some air from the keyboard area and they run much cooler with nothing there

I was actually very surprised, not one of them was dirty at all.

2.4C killer
    My personal one runs very hot though so keeping an eye on it. It came with an i5 Ivy Bridge. Well I found an i7 Sandy and put it in, a long with the cooler it had. Tried both coolers but it runs about 90c at 2.7ghz. Think I might take the bottom cover off and put it on a laptop cooler. Thermal paste is good...it's pumping out a lot of heat.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Congrats on the new job! Looks like the guys got you covered already... Looking forward to watching this thread, and watching you shoot by me in the stats!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme X.I.P.
    My personal one runs very hot though so keeping an eye on it. It came with an i5 Ivy Bridge. Well I found an i7 Sandy and put it in, a long with the cooler it had. Tried both coolers but it runs about 90c at 2.7ghz. Think I might take the bottom cover off and put it on a laptop cooler. Thermal paste is good...it's pumping out a lot of heat.
    Peen, I would not recommend running a CPU at 90 C for 24/7 crunching

2.4C killer
    pffff it's fine I just needed some new thermal grease after all

Could be all it needs. The thermal "paste" they use is usually some of the crappiest stuff out there. Like they couldn't be bothered to spend the extra penny per laptop for something half decent
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    Peen, I would not recommend running a CPU at 90 C for 24/7 crunching
    Eh, it's fine... I ran a 920 at 95C for 18 months and it survived just fine... fried the Mobo, but the cpu was still good.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

2.4C killer
    Yep for sure, it dropped 10c from changing the grease to some Noctua NH-1. They are actually really well built laptops and very easy to work on. If anyone is curious, they are Dell Latitudes E6410 to E6440 with built in CAC readers. Not cheap at all and they take some abuse!

2.4C killer
    I don't think I've seen any chips die from heat since the Socket A athlon days. I have a buddy that has an old Phenom II X4 955 rig and he was having problems. It was IDLING at 80c. The stock heatsink/fan was caked in dog hair, did nothing at all...plus he had antivirus that was stuck maxing out a core. Under any more load it was getting in the 90's just using 2 cores. If I remember right the max was supposed to be 62c on those. He said it was like that for 2 years, on 24/7. Cleaned it up, reinstall OS and works great now. Even tried overclocking and it did fine. Modern CPU's are designed for users like my buddy I would be more worried about motherboard and PSU getting hot.

Grats on the new IT job, sounds good.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Cruncher
    LOL. I can just picture what my basement would be like. I bought a new set of shelves. 6 feet high, 2 feet deep, and 5 shelves. All with a whole bunch of laptops running WCG keeping my cold basement warm. :P

I need to make a trip down to San Diego and bring my DoD ID with me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow that is like a nerds wet dream right there! Congrats! Any chance we could see some pics?

I aint surprised either, seen plenty of times where people mark things as "broken" they really just didn't know how to use/troubleshoot. (turn it off and turn it back on?)
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

2.4C killer
    Yep I will take some pics! I do have one in a cubicle with my personal rig. But that's gone, getting a big office with a big u shaped desk to fit something like 10 monitors haha. I won't need to be out in the San Diego sun to get a tan.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Sorry I'm tethering from a phone and having internet issues, but that's a pic of my Devils Canyon rig...I'll get some of laptops and iMac tomorrow
    Last edited by Peen; 10-23-2014 at 05:05 PM.

2.4C killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Wow that is like a nerds wet dream right there! Congrats! Any chance we could see some pics?

I aint surprised either, seen plenty of times where people mark things as "broken" they really just didn't know how to use/troubleshoot. (turn it off and turn it back on?)
    I work with a ton of people who have degree's in IT and Cisco certs but don't know anything. I think that's why they wanted to switch my job to IT. A lot of them are broken in a sense it would be hard to do an engineer's job like broken keyboards or screens. But I can still make them fold with external monitor and USB keyboard, then put them away

edit: I think a better explanation is having a passion of IT vs just getting an IT degree just because. I've been tinkering with computers since I was kid in the 386 days. Nothing beats years of experience, passion, and just plain trial and error. I'm sure you all know what I am talking about

Just keeping track of CPU power. As of right now I am up to 22c/44t. Fastest is 4.4ghz stock 4790K, slowest is I think a 2.8ghz I5 with HT
    Last edited by Peen; 10-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Oh yeah, been there done that. My first PC was a 286... oh you had to park the hard drives on those things? It lasted 4 days before head crash
    386 after it I learned about ESD when I damaged the CMOS... still worked, but couldn't change any settings without it going absolutely bonkers.
    Pentium 133 saw the wrath of a power surge... I guess those surge protectors do actually help as no other PC was damaged, just mine.
    Pentium 100 was my first overclocking experience. Back at 133MHz baby!

Good times.
    The Cardboard Master

2.4C killer
    I'm actually having a strange problem I've never had before while doing WCG. On my personal home devils canyon rig running stock speed on everything, I tether my internet to my phone and get about 20mbp/s speed. Once I start boinc up, and reload speedtest it only does about 1mbps. I tried some benchmarks with WCG running and not running and didn't kill performance that much, just the internet. I can barely even load webpages when WCG is running.

We forgot to pay the internet bill so tether is my only option, and that's fine because AT&T U-verse is incredibly bad. Sometimes get only 56k speed out of that.

Xtreme Member
    I'm actually having a strange problem I've never had before while doing WCG. On my personal home devils canyon rig running stock speed on everything, I tether my internet to my phone and get about 20mbp/s speed. Once I start boinc up, and reload speedtest it only does about 1mbps. I tried some benchmarks with WCG running and not running and didn't kill performance that much, just the internet. I can barely even load webpages when WCG is running.

We forgot to pay the internet bill so tether is my only option, and that's fine because AT&T U-verse is incredibly bad. Sometimes get only 56k speed out of that.
    Curious, do you have network bandwidth issues with any high cpu load or is it strictly WCG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast