Thread: Windows XP SP3

Xtreme Mentor

Windows XP SP3

A friend from work asked me to set up a machine for his son. It's older gear and has the following specs:

Mobo: BioStar A780L (NB video)
    CPU: Athlon dual core 3Ghz (unsure of model #, but I think it's an A500)

The biggest problem is the OS! Is there any way to get and install SP3 for XP?

I've also had a few problems with the audio drivers... I went to BioStar's website and DL'd/installed what was available.
    Evidently the audio drivers are not part of the chipset package, and no separate audio driver is there...
    Needless to say there's NO audio coming from the board.

I advised him to just buy an OEM Version of Win7 and be done with it, but he's trying to get it running on the cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The audio chip is the Realtek ALC662, so try to download and install the driver from realtek.com.tw

Windows XP should automatically upgrade itself to SP3, if not, make a clean install.
    IQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

outdated hardware

Xtreme Cruncher
    And the newer OS will probably have the audio working right out of the box *smh* Windows XP?? Knock some sense into that guy, 9 is on the way! (yes i still call it 9)
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything