Thread: Another x9dai

The 8 second kid

Another x9dai

Ok guys, I have added some muscle over here lately and have a problem. I have 6 e5-2696 v2's. 4 are in boards. 2 are in the new x9dai. I saved money on the chassis purchase and bought the 7037-A turns out this motherboard has the old bios in it. I need a socket 2011 something xeon not v2 to flash this thing.

Anyone have a cpu laying around I can borrow? I'll pay shipping both ways.
    Last edited by Weedsqueezer; 10-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    A big Movieman type DUALLIE

Xtreme Legend
    I have a cpu bought just for that purpose. Need to enquire about postal costs from here though

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Call me, I can solve your problem..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

The 8 second kid
    OK guys, I am troubleshooting this DOA Supermicro Superserver 7037A-I purchased 45 days ago. The motherboard is a Supermicro X9DAI. this will by my second of these systems now, spec’d the same.

Xeon e5-2696v2 x2
    W7000 Firepro
    Wintec memory 32GB 4x8gb sticks server series 3RSH160011R5H-16gk

My First built system is running fine.

This new one is not posting. I have no Video. I’ve swapped all parts between the 2 machines. Memory, videocard, and cpu’s all check out on my other X9DAI. I even bought a e5-2603 to insure it wasn’t an old bios.

I contacted Supermicro directly today to troubleshoot my errors. With the entire machine re-assembled I started it for him so he could hear the post beeps. There were 3 quick beeps right away..(power, usb and ps2) confirmed by the tech. Then a series of 5 beeps WITHOUT the long beep that would indicate memory issues. The supermicro rep then said ok that is not memory. 5 beeps is a video or USB issue. This I found in supermicro’s manual. I then removed the memory and powered it back up for him. It made the first 3 beeps like before then went immediately to 5 beeps and a long. This indicates no memory as it should have. He then asked what kind of RAM I was using and when I said wintec server series, to his immediate reply came, your problem is RAM. We don’t test that RAM so that is the problem.

I then passively argued that not 3 feet from this machine is a twin to it working just fine even when I swap all the parts into the other case. I tried to meet logic with him by making the assumption that the RAM works in the other machine, it should work in this one. He started talking about programming and SPD. I then tried to point out the beeps from the prior test that had indicated this not be a RAM problem. He said it doesn’t matter its in the programming and wintec was cheap ram that was a wildcard in their programming and that the problem MUST be the RAM. He did rule out the CPU and bios by saying anything shipped recently has new enough bios to support E5-26xxv2’s.

My ameatur diagnosis, going off of nothing but “swaptronics” and deductive reasoning, is there must be a problem with the board. Both w7000’s work fine in the other machine. ALL 8 sticks of my wintec RAM work and pass post in the other machine. 4 CPU’s boot in the other machine. The only thing I haven’t yet tried is swapping the boards into the other chassis as if there were a PSU problem.

SO here I am with a rather expensive server that supermicro will not support because I have RAM that meets the design specs but hasn’t been tested by them.
    A big Movieman type DUALLIE

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedsqueezer View Post
    OK guys, I am troubleshooting this DOA Supermicro Superserver 7037A-I purchased 45 days ago. The motherboard is a Supermicro X9DAI. this will by my second of these systems now, spec?d the same.

Xeon e5-2696v2 x2
    W7000 Firepro
    Wintec memory 32GB 4x8gb sticks server series 3RSH160011R5H-16gk

My First built system is running fine.

This new one is not posting. I have no Video. I?ve swapped all parts between the 2 machines. Memory, videocard, and cpu?s all check out on my other X9DAI. I even bought a e5-2603 to insure it wasn?t an old bios.

I contacted Supermicro directly today to troubleshoot my errors. With the entire machine re-assembled I started it for him so he could hear the post beeps. There were 3 quick beeps right away..(power, usb and ps2) confirmed by the tech. Then a series of 5 beeps WITHOUT the long beep that would indicate memory issues. The supermicro rep then said ok that is not memory. 5 beeps is a video or USB issue. This I found in supermicro?s manual. I then removed the memory and powered it back up for him. It made the first 3 beeps like before then went immediately to 5 beeps and a long. This indicates no memory as it should have. He then asked what kind of RAM I was using and when I said wintec server series, to his immediate reply came, your problem is RAM. We don?t test that RAM so that is the problem.

I then passively argued that not 3 feet from this machine is a twin to it working just fine even when I swap all the parts into the other case. I tried to meet logic with him by making the assumption that the RAM works in the other machine, it should work in this one. He started talking about programming and SPD. I then tried to point out the beeps from the prior test that had indicated this not be a RAM problem. He said it doesn?t matter its in the programming and wintec was cheap ram that was a wildcard in their programming and that the problem MUST be the RAM. He did rule out the CPU and bios by saying anything shipped recently has new enough bios to support E5-26xxv2?s.

My ameatur diagnosis, going off of nothing but ?swaptronics? and deductive reasoning, is there must be a problem with the board. Both w7000?s work fine in the other machine. ALL 8 sticks of my wintec RAM work and pass post in the other machine. 4 CPU?s boot in the other machine. The only thing I haven?t yet tried is swapping the boards into the other chassis as if there were a PSU problem.

SO here I am with a rather expensive server that supermicro will not support because I have RAM that meets the design specs but hasn?t been tested by them.
    call me and I will solve your problem..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    Bios versions ??

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Administrator
    I know that reasoning says that DDR3 working on one machine should work on this one. Sadly I think you were just lucky on the other machine that those kits are working on right now.

Have you tested the working machine with the sticks you tried using on this new board ?
    Then the reverse, try the working machines sticks on the new board.

Mass produced boards may act differently especially with memory that is not confirmed to work.
    It is also very possible that those Wintec kits might be using substandard modules that on the new sticks have slightly different tech spec's.

Timings are very important and if either are slight out of spec or do not fall into a range of tolerance they simply will not work.

Have you tried any other manufacture sticks on the new board ?

Memory modules are purchased in bulk by companies that do not manufacture modules themselves, these are binned. Lets say company X bin's X amount of chips, finds 80% meets the spec's they want. The remaining 20% can be made into value RAM kits or simply sold off. Those lesser spec'd modules often find themselves in a 3rd party lineup. This is where you end up with some working and others not unless a motherboard company has tested and enter those into the BIOS.

Clearly SM has preferred memory suppliers and ones not on the list there is no guarantee of them working. This has happened to me before on ASUS boards.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 11-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.