Thread: XS-Boinc-Team Folding@Home

Xtreme Cruncher

Thumbs up XS-Boinc-Team Folding@Home

Poking around the F@H web site I discovered that the XS-F@H team is still active. I am thinking about putting a few GPUs on F@H and was wondering how the new V7 software is?

Noticed the team is at #38 and has 8 active members. Any guesses on what a AMD 7870 or 270x would do points wise per day? I would prefer to keep all my CPUs on WCG, I am guessing that should not be a problem?

Anyway just say hi so we know you are out there!

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 10-16-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Linux those diseases
    If you've got any additional crunching capacity PG, we need you at GPUgrid or Einstein. IMHO, F&H is a lost cause. The team will never be able to challenge for the top 10 or even 20 for that matter & in 30 days will have fallen a further 3 places With the small number of active GPU crunchers the XS team has, we should concentrate our efforts on the projects where we can challenge the top guys

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks for the input.

Is there any interest from anyone in trying to revitalize the F@H team and get new members?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hello PG,

I support Sam's approach here. We need to concentrate our immediate efforts where the XS Team will be a strong challenger or a winner. Folks will more readily join such a team and then stick with it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    There are people with AMD GPUs that like to do biomedical research. Einstein@home vies with WCG as my favorite project. I like the science, I like the project and how it is run, I like the forums and the dedicated crunchers there. I find Pulsars endlessly fascinating and gravitational waves and the theories and science behind it fascinating. And I hate human suffering. So my other favorite is WCG.

I am not going to debate the worthiness of projects as I think people should choose what project they support themselves and without question from others. Some people find non-bio-medical projects a waste. There have been many times WCG crunchers have asked if there is something they could do with their AMD GPUs. They turned their nose up at E@H. We have people on the F@H project who are on XS-team. You can do WCG on the CPU and F@H on AMD, Nvidia GPUs and on the CPU if you want.

While I think it is a fine thing to want the XS-Teams to be real challengers in the Team stats it is not my main interest. If it is yours go for it. I want to see more inclusion for more people and their interest. If they want to do E@H great. We got that. If they want to do F@H why not? While it may seem like spreading resources I see it as a good recruitment tool for more people participating on XS-Teams and the XS forums and as I have seen many times they will get interested in other projects that are mentioned in the forums.

I think we need fewer walls, more people and maybe more projects. We should at least support what is already a XS team.

You know I'm not really sure. While I had "free" electricity I could afford to throw anything and everything hardware wise I could at as much as I wanted. After the initial purchase cost (which I usually bargain hunted) there was nothing to worry about. I don't think I want to know what the electric bills ran at my first apartment, they probably thought I had a weed farm in there Now that I have to pay the utility bill I feel like I have to pick just one, at least for a while longer until I get some upcoming expenses taken care of over the next year (or two, or three...).

Only so many dollars to go around

I kinda thought the team was dead after the subforum got disabled. It had been feebly running for a long time as it was. While I like the idea of trying to revive it in one sense, in another I feel like we need to work on one at a time. Get WCG jumpstarted and going again, then maybe revisit F@H and try to wake it up as well. At least I know with me if I get too much going on at once it tends to not go too great until I readjust and focus on just one at at time.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks Sparky. You kinda mirrored my feelings. I have been wrestling with this for a few days and decided to see how others felt. OC and I have discussed it in PMs and I think for now I will just leave it open and see if anyone else has any thoughts about it. I hate to see the F@H team die. But if there isn't any interest then so be it. Most of what I remember from running facore or whatever it was called is frustration and aggravation. But they have a new app and new software so I thought maybe things might be better.

If you are putting points up on Folding@home or have in recent time would still like to hear from ya!

Thanks for all the input.

I was still doing something off and on as I was able with my old work PC that still had a GTS250 in it, and yes the v7 client was far more stable and user friendly than the old ones. Getting my old 4870 going smoothly on that took hours of trial and error, tweaks and aggravation. But once I left that job and that PC was then shut down and parted then that was it. I still have that GTS sitting in the box here. Two of them actually, though one doesn't work.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I was still doing something off and on as I was able with my old work PC that still had a GTS250 in it, and yes the v7 client was far more stable and user friendly than the old ones. Getting my old 4870 going smoothly on that took hours of trial and error, tweaks and aggravation. But once I left that job and that PC was then shut down and parted then that was it. I still have that GTS sitting in the box here. Two of them actually, though one doesn't work.
    And it was at that point they changed the work unit on ya...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Thanks Sparky. You kinda mirrored my feelings. I have been wrestling with this for a few days and decided to see how others felt. OC and I have discussed it in PMs and I think for now I will just leave it open and see if anyone else has any thoughts about it. I hate to see the F@H team die. But if there isn't any interest then so be it. Most of what I remember from running facore or whatever it was called is frustration and aggravation. But they have a new app and new software so I thought maybe things might be better.

If you are putting points up on Folding@home or have in recent time would still like to hear from ya!

Thanks for all the input.

I tried to get back into F@H back in the Summer of 2013 with some HD7770 cards. I grew very frustrated with the client and the WU's. Somehow something inevitably got mucked up and the WU never finished because it got frozen or something else weird. I finally put those boxes back on WCG full time.

If the new client is more AMD card friendly, maybe I'll give it a go again. If I don't sell my cards that is.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Back to the top here, after years of folding it seems others have gone elsewhere with their machines.

I have a Windows machine still with a older quad core and GTX 660 i could switch over to another project if needed, research into disease would be my priority.

Provide information on the subject if you respond.

i'm doing collatz and gpugrid...