NooB MOD

We're in for the 10th Birthday Challenge

XtremeSystems is now a participating team

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...allengeId=6833
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

i'll have my haswell back up by then

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Well done XC, this new challenge will be fun. We will be competing against some very good teams.

Having nerver partaken in one of these before, I could certainly use all pertinent gamesmanship tips to maximize my contribution to our XS team. (ie.:How & when to load cache & delay reporting prior to event, which WUs to select to maximize credited points, and the likes...)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanguy2 View Post
    Well done XC, this new challenge will be fun. We will be competing against some very good teams.

Having nerver partaken in one of these before, I could certainly use all pertinent gamesmanship tips to maximize my contribution to our XS team. (ie.:How & when to load cache & delay reporting prior to event, which WUs to select to maximize credited points, and the likes...)
    I usually have a 5-8 cache so I don't worry about loading per se. I never tried the delayed reporting thing though. I(or rather my computers) always went balls to the walls for a week. Last year I donated a week to the Chicago WCG team. I think they were shocked to see a new member eclipse them so much. But I had a lot of firepower and the HIV WU's weren't so farked up points wise then.

This should be a lot of fun, especially if I manage to get some CPU's I want in time. Moar cores!
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Moar cores!
    I read that in Jeremy Clarkson's voice. MOOOOORE POWEEEEER!
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    I read that in Jeremy Clarkson's voice. MOOOOORE POWEEEEER!

Xtreme Legend
    Gamesmanship:

Normal thing to do is get the maximum cache possible at around the 8-9 days before start day so you might want to be running at 4 days cache then up it daily for the 5 days before.

if you are running a 4 day cache then 14 days before competition start, up it to 5 days then 6 then 7 ,8 and 9. 9 days before start date (if your cache is full) turn off network comms. gradually building up works better than having all your deadlines on the same day.

On day one (possibly early on day two) Revert your cache to the original 4 days, or whatever you prefer then turn on network comms again and you will upload a shed load of wu's but only download your normal amount.

In the run up to start day the project you build up the large cache of must have a 10 day deadline.... I think that is MCM1 as it is not fa@h or UGM. Again before uploading switch to your preferred work type.

Best points on Linux are with Vina wu's (=+30%) but only FAHV is vina. so to get top points you would need to micromanage your rigs and abort faah wu's at least daily preferably twice daily if using a 7 day cache

Once you start caching results you cannot move to the higher paying work until day 1 after uploading.

I know squat about windows wu's so, if there are advantages there, someone else will have to pipe up

Overall you might do well to reduce writes to disk to 15 or 30 minutes and play with the <no priority change>1 setting in cc config so that you know which works best for you FOR EACH PROJECT prior to the start of this.

If you run Boinctasks then you can observe the change in cpu%. You will also find that the difference between cpu time and real time can be adjusted this way. I have reduced from over 3 minutes per hour of runtime lost to around 30 seconds lost. Sounds like not a lot until you multiply it by the number of threads hours you run in a day.

Anyone wants more clarity on any of this then just ask

Edit: If just today's pie eaters used the above guide and each scored similar figures to yesterday in the run up to day one the resultant score on day 1 would be over 3,000,000 BOINC
    Last edited by OldChap; 10-16-2014 at 01:59 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Legend
    Gamesmanship2:

Everyman and his dog that you know that has a rig no matter how old (either rig or person) can be roped in to this for 10 days.... who knows they might decide to stay. If they need help loading/running Boinc/WCG then do it for them.

Ask your boss if he minds supporting this with work computers. It is just 10 days after all and you might appeal to his more giving side..... remember if anyone has qualms about it using too much cpu resource then it can be timed to only work out of hours.

If the above folks can't be bothered then run on your account....If they want to see how they are doing (getting interested maybe?) then set them up with their own boinc/wcg account

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Legend
    Gamesmanship3

Remember that this challenge has sub challenges relating to totals for each of the 4 projects

MCM1 and CEP2 are both candidates for the 10 day cache needed before the start date (a mixture of the two would help avoid the heavy load CEP2 puts on memory and disk subsystems). Having a head start on those might allow the better chance of winning those sub challenges. FA@H and UGM only allow for a 7 day cache so some emphasis should be put on these during the 10 days if we are to balance the work/results over the whole period.

In the past I noticed that CEP2 seems to like whole cores and plenty of memory. If you have a machine like that run a quick comparison beforehand against a machine with ht

Xtreme Legend
    If you really are keen to produce as much as possible here is a schedule

Up until the 28th October fine tuning ....preferably with similar work loads to those you will be loading then you will know what settings to use

October 28 move to MCM1 and or CEP2 projects and 1 day cache. Starts to use up any previous work and fill with required projects
    October 29 2 day cache Depending on how many days cache you ran previously you may not gey the new work yet
    October 30 3 day cache Once old work is used up or the days cache setting is greater than before correct wu's will load
    October 31 4 day cache Notice that this delay in loading assists in not over running deadlines on the 16th Nov
    November 1 5 day cache
    November 2 6 day cache
    November 3 7 day cache
    November 4 8 day cache
    November 5 9 day cache
    November 6 10 day cache Abort any wu's that have deadline earlier than 16Nov and switch allow network communications to no when cache full. Abort any wu's that will be late
    November 7 1 day cached wu's complete
    November 8 2 days cached wu's complete
    November 9 3 days cached wu's complete
    November 10 4 days cached wu's complete
    November 11 5 days cached wu's complete
    November 12 6 days cached wu's complete
    November 13 7 days cached wu's complete
    November 14 8 days cached wu's complete
    November 15 9 days cached wu's complete
    November 16 switch to 6 day cache, switch to other projects and then allow network communications to yes. Should dump 9-10 days of work and reload work for the next 6 days
    November 17 Maximise points or balance projects from here on in
    November 18
    November 19
    November 20
    November 21
    November 22
    November 23
    November 24
    November 25
    November 26 Superior planning and preparation FTW. You are a winner !!
    The 10 day challenge the XS way only takes 30 days

EDIT: Remember that you will be using UTC time for this so you will need to adjust the time that you pull the trigger to upload work accordingly
    Last edited by OldChap; 10-16-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: add

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks OC, above info and schedule is exactly what I was looking for.

I just uploaded the original psd for Ashraf, he said he could if he has psd.

Getting things done, sorry for the delay.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks again FUGGER

Gamesmanship 4:

This one is theory only now as the way that points are claimed/awarded may be different since I last tried this.....

If you are able then set cache to 2-3 days and overclock your rig in the period leading up to filling a full cache. In theory WCG then sees your rig as capable of x plus any overclock% wu's per day and sees your rig as being a certain speed.

doing a run benchmarks then dropping the overclock before starting the work that is held from being uploaded should mean 2 things

1. the amount of work in cache is greater than it would be if you did not do this thereby giving you a bit of a buffer in case the calculation is off.

2. the rig expects to complete a wu in x time but takes overclock% longer. it calculates that as claiming a few more points for any given wu. which SHOULD give you a higher score.

My expectation is that this will start to auto correct again after you upload the work when network communications is resumed.

try to keep the overclock to around 10-15% absolute max in order not to fall foul of the anti-cheat mechanism..... which some might feel this sort of tuning is. Rather than cheating I consider this "working the system"

Best points on Linux are with Vina wu's (=+30%) but only FAHV is vina. so to get top points you would need to micromanage your rigs and abort faah wu's at least daily preferably twice daily if using a 7 day cache
    ^this will be only for intel cpus, AMDs are all over the place depending on arcitechture

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks, I had no idea. I know so little about amd since I only ran 1207 opterons for about 4 months

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Yes, AMD systems seem to be quite variable. If you want to know what your system is good at you have to play. I have an A6-3600 based system here on 64bit Linux that likes VINA units but there's not as much of a gain as there is for the Intel Q6600. This A6 is the newest thing I have so I don't know about the more recent ones.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Ok, fight tips.

For those who plan to bring additional hardware online for the challenge it's suggested to start about three days early, a week if you can manage it. It takes that long for the whole validation system to crank up for a new or returning device and you won't hit full points production till at least three days after you get it rolling.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Ok, fight tips.

For those who plan to bring additional hardware online for the challenge it's suggested to start about three days early, a week if you can manage it. It takes that long for the whole validation system to crank up for a new or returning device and you won't hit full points production till at least three days after you get it rolling.
    Does this apply to new/used CPU's put in an existing rig as well?
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Does this apply to new/used CPU's put in an existing rig as well?
    Yes - any changes to the system can take as long as 7-10 days to take full effect in the points system depending on which projects you run...

Also - be sure to set the flag to report immediately once finished in the final days of the project!!!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Member
    I thougth I had missed it, was not sure of the dates, so this is a reminder.

Start Date: 11/16/2014

Xtreme Member
    Well, we can't possibly hope to match you, but I think I can speak on behalf of TPU! when I say that we're looking forward to the challenge
    WCG Rigs: 184 threads, mostly i7s

Linux those diseases
    Oh no! He's seen the big board

Last edited by stoneageman; 10-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [Ion] View Post
    Well, we can't possibly hope to match you, but I think I can speak on behalf of TPU! when I say that we're looking forward to the challenge
    Always nice to hear from a dedicated WCG cruncher like yourself.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Now you've done it. I've gone and cranked up the Nexus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol stonageman,

We need a new plan.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame