Thread: Efficient CPU for WCG?

Xtreme Cruncher

Efficient CPU for WCG?

Ok, so my ol' HTPC is apparently dead. Long live x58.

Anyway, so I need to build a new desktop, but I haven't looked for new desktop hardware in quite some time. Any recommended CPUs that are low power when idle but:

1. Have a reasonable punch when handed HTPC workloads
    2. Can double as some WCG crunching
    3. Has on-chip video so I don't have to throw in a power-hungry video card to use it.
    4. Must be an Intel. I hate AMD.

Hoping to build a machine I can leave on 24x7 without heating up my living room in the summer and is powerful enough to be reasonable with crunching in the winter...

Any ideas?

Xtreme Legend
    Not really up to the minute on this stuff any more but from what I gather Ivy bridge is frugal but has the power and you should be able to find the right size of MB with onboard capability to use the on chip graphics capability and cheaper too now that it is not the latest and greatest.

It is possible that one of the latest atoms (c2550, c2750) might fit the bill but the MB's would have to be more carefully matched for video and audio as some boards are not covering that well being designed more for storage server use. very frugal and not much heat in winter or summer for that matter... think ~30-40w from the wall on this one.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Intel G3258 $69 2 core fully unlocked
    Intel 4670K $230 4 core i7
    Intel 4770K $334 4 core + HT i7

The NUC has Haswell processors but slightly more expensive to build with SODIMM and MSATA, several variants with extra HD, thunderbolt, HDMI,..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

The Brix is similar to the NUC, one version has a built in pico projector.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

Frys has been running a killer deals on the Asus VivoPC that comes complete with OS for much less.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Legend
    That's a whole lotta grunt for an htpc but with wcg in mind the 46xx's are sweet.... and there was me thinking an I3-4150 would get the job done by the look of things

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Since the OP lives near at least one if not two MicroCenters, he might as well take advantage of the savings on Haswell or Devil's Canyon processors. a i7-4770K is only $279 right now, and if you buy a board there they will knock off another 40-50 bucks. Look around Slickdeals for a mITX case and PSU and an SSD, and you have the makings of a nice little cruncher and HTPC.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit