Thread: What psu for Atom c2750 (Avoton) ??

Xtreme Legend

What psu for Atom c2750 (Avoton) ??

I have the glimmer of an idea to build one of these to have just cpu and associated board, 8G ram and ssd.

Altogether a very small load. What psu would be a match for such a build ??

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SAi-2750F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333

Intel Atom C2750 2.4GHz
    4MB L2
    CPU TDP 20W (8-Core)
    20 watt TDP??

Interesting.....

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm running 2 of those with 1 gig pipe each. sweet machines
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Legend
    On WCG? Spill the performance beans....please.... Dying to know how many it would take to compare to various xeons

I guess I could rough it with MJ numbers too

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    On WCG? Spill the performance beans....please.... Dying to know how many it would take to compare to various xeons

I guess I could rough it with MJ numbers too
    mj12. I could do 1TB in a day with both of them. I ve persuaded a friend of mine to rent also 2

Xtreme Cruncher
    GA-9SISL - GIGABYTE MAINBOARD MINI-ITX INTEL ATOM C2750 BGA1283 SOCKET 4xDIMM 4xGbE 6xSATA

Rosetta@home stats

Primegrid

Can't find any WCG and other projects I found some but no completed work units.

Some benchmarks.Both windows and linux.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 10-08-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher

Xtreme Cruncher
    My vote? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151105

And a few dozen cable splitters...
    (Oh, and a few dozen of those boards...)

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Legend
    Yeah, it would need quite a few to hit 500w the high efficiency point.

1900.41 million ops/sec floating point? for an atom core at 2.4 (2.6 maybe)

vs

2,135.55 million ops/sec floating point for a sandy bridge hyperthreaded core at 2.4

That would suggest performance is around 89% if all other things were equal which of course they are not.

That might then be around 3500ppd boinc if I'm lucky

32 threads on my duallie uses ~240-250w but on my single 16 threads = ~ 180w (last time I looked)

Need to know now what this cpu and platform use all up running before I decide to get one for trials.

I have read a test quoting 30w for Prime95 and that the same test using just any old psu increased the load to 40w
    Last edited by OldChap; 10-09-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Interesting (for me) little tidbit of info regarding the Supermicro A1SAi-2750F:

1-6 Power Supply
    As with all computer products, a stable power source is necessary for proper and reliable operation. It is even more important for processors that have high CPU clock rates.

Note 1: The A1SAi and A1SRi Series motherboard alternatively supports a 4-pin 12V DC input power supply for embedded applications.

The 12V DC input is limited to 12A by design. It provides up to 144W power input to the motherboard. Please keep onboard power use within the power limits specified above. Over-current DC power use may cause damage to the motherboard!

Note 2: Do not use the 4-pin DC power @J1 when the 24-pin ATX Power @JPW1 is connected to the power supply. Do not plug in both J1 and JPW1 at the same time.

It is strongly recommended that you use a high quality power supply that meets ATX power supply Specification 2.02 or above. It must also be SSI compliant. (For more information, please refer to the web site at http://www.ssiforum.org/). Additionally, in areas where noisy power transmission is present, you may choose to install a line filter to shield the computer from noise. It is recommended that you also install a power surge protector to help avoid problems caused by power surges.
    I could run this from a battery?

Xtreme Legend
    2.4 cpu = 2.6 turbo. 8 silvermont cores seem to give a whetstone score of ~2300 per core..... which is similar to that of my sandy bridge cpu's @ 2.4 (ht on) Therefore 4 of these could be approximately equal to e-5 2620 duallie but use a little over half the power

If your electric cost is $0.07 it won't make a lot of sense but the higher you pay the more interesting this gets.

Maybe it would make sense to rent one and find out if these projections hold true.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Interesting info OC with very good potential crunching production while cutting down markedly on electrical expenditures.

Can you post the cost involved in renting or rent/buy a 2.4 cpu = 2.6 turbo. 8 silvermont cores machines for an XS WCG R&D trial period. We can then see how many of us are interested in supporting this trial and what the cost would be per interested XS WCG members. If the cost are not too prohibitive renting two such systems would allow for efficiency comparison between the two systems and the opportunity to run all current WCG sub-projects through the trial.

Your suggested trial would also be a first step in establishing the XS WCG members interest level in partaking in joint XS WCG server set-up(s) as previously suggested by you in the thread "I am curious... Would this idea fly.." http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5239962

Xtreme Legend
    Best price I have found to this point JG is euro 19.19 inc tax pcm plus a setup fee of euro 20

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

This is a little less than $25 or a bit over GBP15. I have asked a friend to try to find better pricing.

I would have already done this but for a 400 pound bill for my car.

Over a 3 year term the difference FOR ME between buying an e3-2680v2 duallie or renting a number of these seems to be VERY similar but of course we need to confirm the capability of these.

The main advantage as I see it of renting might be that we just move over to latest tech as it becomes available. EDIT: and there are twice as many days/day for the badge hunters

Folks that are on a VERY low electricity cost however might be better served running multiple 4770K's...... $0.08 seems to be the breakpoint

Those are my conclusions thus far
    Last edited by OldChap; 10-13-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Best price I have found to this point JG is euro 19.19 inc tax pcm plus a setup fee of euro 20

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

This is a little less than $25 or a bit over GBP15. I have asked a friend to try to find better pricing.

I would have already done this but for a 400 pound bill for my car.

Over a 3 year term the difference FOR ME between buying an e3-2680v2 duallie or renting a number of these seems to be VERY similar but of course we need to confirm the capability of these.

The main advantage as I see it of renting might be that we just move over to latest tech as it becomes available. EDIT: and there are twice as many days/day for the badge hunters

Folks that are on a VERY low electricity cost however might be better served running multiple 4770K's...... $0.08 seems to be the breakpoint

Those are my conclusions thus far
    I think I know your Argie friend LOL

Xtreme X.I.P.
    OK guys,

I rented one instance of the Dedibox 2750 CPU with online.net. Here are the details:

jeanguy@sd-xxxxx:~$ boinccmd --get_host_info
    timezone: 7200
    domain name: sd-69317
    IP addr: 127.0.1.1
    #CPUS: 8
    CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
    CPU model: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz [Family 6 Model 77 Stepping 8]
    CPU FP OPS: 2105505857.577870
    CPU int OPS: 8547993324.765923
    CPU mem BW: 1000000000.000000
    OS name: Linux
    OS version: 3.13.0-37-generic
    mem size: 8358965248.000000
    cache size: 1048576.000000
    swap size: 1023406080.000000
    disk size: 983171489792.000000
    disk free: 931861364736.000000
    The 2750 CPU is now running 8 x FAH WUs concurrently using BOINC 7.2.42 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It is going to take 2 or 3 more days for its daily WCG results to settle down. You can view this CPU data through free-DC by following this link: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...hostid=3171892

I will post its WCG stats in this thread in 3 to 4 days once It has produced useful credit data.

Xtreme Legend
    Will be watching with great interest.

Meanwhile would you be kind enough to let us have some FAHV runtimes (anything else too for that matter)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Will be watching with great interest.

Meanwhile would you be kind enough to let us have some FAHV runtimes (anything else too for that matter)
    OC, I emailed you the data for the 11 FAHV WUs that have completed so far. See sheet 2 of the attached Excel file.

I will provide you with more FAHV data in a couple days after more of these WUs have validated.

I have also been successful at accessing this remote server 2750 setup through BoincTasks. This is definitely a lot easier than using SSH alone to control remote WCG instances on a remote server. Even got BoincTasks mobile working so that I can now access BoincTasks through the browser of any internet connected device (WIndows, OSx or android). I must tackle TThrottle and see if I can get that Puppy working as well. Just noticed a water pump acting weird on one of the crunching rig, so TThrottle will have to go to the back burner for a while so that I can address this Corsair H100 imminent failure.
    Last edited by jeanguy2; 10-19-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Sent you some projections based on this (small) sample JG

For those interested I am going to stick my neck out and say that Vina is likely to get in the order of 3,500 Boinc per day and non-Vina wu's about 2750 Boinc per day. Somewhat below my expectations but ....We will see when the dust settles

I still think this is good for a 0.72Kw per day power usage (approximate) Could be getting 4860 points per Kw. My Duallie gets more like 3000 (on a good day)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Keep us posted guys - looks like a worthwhile project - some of these in a corner running on wall warts and USB thumb drives... very low power for the performance...?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???