Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XS Crunching - Team Suggestions

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Yeah refer to this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...FAQ&highlight= Unless things have changed again?
    Sounds great - fully support that - but can we get the banner for non-members fixed? (Go into private browsing and visit XS - or from a device you don't normally use, you'll see what I mean)

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    How about replacing the $1 fee in that banner to an email address for people having problems registering. If needed I can setup a email account and monitor it but I will need to know who to harass if someone is having problems registering.

I often see 30-40 even up to 50 guest browsing WCG every day. Not too sure why so many guests and lurkers, why don't they join?

HWiNFO Author
    Well, if you want to dig into tons of spam attempts... I run a much smaller forum and I'm getting tens to hundreds spam attempts every day. And the bots (or some manual guys) are getting smarter and smarter...
    Not sure if these countermeasures are just to prevent spam bots, maybe it could be done a better way. I have good experience with connecting to StopForumSpam and additional questions when registering.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    How about replacing the $1 fee in that banner to an email address for people having problems registering. If needed I can setup a email account and monitor it but I will need to know who to harass if someone is having problems registering.

I often see 30-40 even up to 50 guest browsing WCG every day. Not too sure why so many guests and lurkers, why don't they join?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    Well, if you want to dig into tons of spam attempts... I run a much smaller forum and I'm getting tens to hundreds spam attempts every day. And the bots (or some manual guys) are getting smarter and smarter...
    Not sure if these countermeasures are just to prevent spam bots, maybe it could be done a better way. I have good experience with connecting to StopForumSpam and additional questions when registering.
    Yeah - we need to find a better way of doing this... get everyone set up and start welcoming new members!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm a fan of Jabber/XMPP. I use Openfire at work, and it can do some neat things. I've also played around with Prosody a little. I have never been much of an IRC guy.

I've been running a Mumble server for a friend for a little bit now, so that's probably an option for those who like to talk.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You know how you can remove about 99% of the spam out there?

1. Let them create an account for free.
    2. At that point they have 7 days to answer a forum questionnaire. Simple stupid questions that anyone that works in IT would know like "RAM quantity is measured in what units? GB, Mhz, inches" They cannot post until they answer a 10 question questionaire and get 9/10 or something. They have 3 minutes to answer the questions. The question bank will have 50-60 questions and the answers randomized.
    3. Any account that is more than 7 days old and doesn't complete the questionnaire is automatically deleted.

Boom, problem solved.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    You know how you can remove about 99% of the spam out there?

1. Let them create an account for free.
    2. At that point they have 7 days to answer a forum questionnaire. Simple stupid questions that anyone that works in IT would know like "RAM quantity is measured in what units? GB, Mhz, inches" They cannot post until they answer a 10 question questionaire and get 9/10 or something. They have 3 minutes to answer the questions. The question bank will have 50-60 questions and the answers randomized.
    3. Any account that is more than 7 days old and doesn't complete the questionnaire is automatically deleted.

Boom, problem solved.
    That's actually not a bad idea - but maybe more than just IT stuff, just basic questions. Ex - Which of the following best describes water? dry, wet, purple, keyboard.

Have a quick thread where we brainstorm a bunch of questions quick. Stuff that a 6 year old could get right...

Xtreme Cruncher
    I found this post in the Boinc fourms on Reddit. I posted an answer link to my post here.

I think Reddit could bring more awareness to WCG and XS-Boinc teams. So I will monitor it more and post when I see a good place. to. Would not hurt if others were to do the same at Reddit and maybe look around and see if there are other places we could participate.

Another Reddit Boinc forum.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 10-12-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    I found this post in the Boinc fourms on Reddit. I posted an answer link to my post here.

I think Reddit could bring more awareness to WCG and XS-Boinc teams. So I will monitor it more and post when I see a good place. to. Would not hurt if others were to do the same at Reddit and maybe look around and see if there are other places we could participate.

Another Reddit Boinc forum.
    Might invite the guy/girl to stop by XS and say hi to the team... something simple like

"Glad to help - feel free to come on by and say hi to the team! We'd love to have you!"

Maybe?

Xtreme Cruncher
    This may have been mentioned before but I the more I think about it all I see are benefits and no disadvantages to do it. We need to emphasize all XS Boinc Teams and not just WCG. Yes WCG is our main interest but probably all the people doing GPUGrid and E@H on their GPUs are doing WCG on the CPUs. We need more cross-posting and less of a walled environment. I do NOT mean merge the forums. Each should have their own. But in the past I have seen replies of "This is WCG, not GPUgrid" or whatever. And while I agree our main concern here is bio-medical people here do sometimes wonder what they could do with their GPUs. Lets keep them in the family.

Many people like to do something different now and then and may want to stay with XS but try a new project for awhile. While I have not seen it happen but a few times someone should be able to mention another project without having to defend it. Many people stay here for the team and forums not the project.

I like Stoneagemans sig. If he agrees to share I would like to see this be a link in more of our sigs that people could click and it go to a web page or forum posting describing the teams and projects XS-Boinc-Team participates in. This would be especially useful when posting in non-DC forums like News or Intel or whatever.

Also, I do not know who handles it but we have some members deserving a maroon name color if they have the time.

Xtreme Legend
    With the 10th birthday challenge coming up may I suggest that any tidy up of the stickies itself be stickied for a while in a former stickies thread...... at least until someone has the time to do a better job.

I think it would be good to have a new "how to get started 2014" sticky ready for a week before the challenge and as PG said it might be good for the other dc projects to do one of these too so that it is easier for folks to join in and try stuff out.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12