Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [News] AMD Confirms Vega is Launching this Quarter

[News] AMD Confirms Vega is Launching this Quarter

https://www.techpowerup.com/232708/a...g-this-quarter

Via Facebook, AMD has confirmed that Vega is nearly here - at least, as nearly here as a "this quarter" can be. This means Vega will launch in two-months time (Q2 extends through the months of April, May and June, after all.) Through a post on its Facebook page, AMD replied that Vega will be coming "when it's ready... And it will be this quarter."

According to previous leaks (and our own deep dive on Vega's architecture), Vega should go a long way towards bridging the power/performance gap between AMD and NVIDIA's GeForce series. It will be the first time since Fury that AMD will have a competitive, high-performance graphics design (expectedly, and hopefully, since no-one likes to buy over-priced graphics cards.) The fact that AMD has teased Vega in two different pieces of media that come out in May (Arkane Studios' Prey, which comes out on May 5th, and Alien: Covenant, which also comes out during the month of May.) I've previously posited that AMD wouldn't tease Vega's launch alongside one of the most promising games of the year without giving us the chance to power it through Vega come launch day, but as Prey's release date approaches and there is no more information on Vega (much less an announcement), it's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to wait until we can see that universe in all of its Vega-rendered glory.

Xtreme Guru
    See, this is what concerns me. AMD has been virtually silent on Vega's performance lately - and that's just not their style. They always make sure everyone is hears about the best aspects of their tech prior to launch.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Vega will compete well against the 1080 Ti.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I tend to agree. That said, if you look at 4k scaling, clock speeds and performance tend to see diminishing returns at higher resolutions into 4k with an opposite trend in memory bandwidth. What we may see is a closed gap, even to the point of being competative, at high resolutions, especially 4k.
    Last edited by StAndrew; 04-25-2017 at 05:43 AM.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    See, this is what concerns me. AMD has been virtually silent on Vega's performance lately - and that's just not their style. They always make sure everyone is hears about the best aspects of their tech prior to launch.

FWIW:

Vega Performance Looks Really Nice Compared to 1080Ti and Titan Xp

Hell....it's about time.

I can't say for sure that you and I exist within the same reality. Launches from the AMD graphics team have tended to be marked by secrecy. They have gone so far in the past as to give different partners different spec sheets so that when leaks occur they know who to clobber. The Radeon 4000 series launch is a good example. They just sort of appeared suddenly. As a community, we went from a waiting state where nobody knew anything about a new product line to "they're launching a new series any moment" over the course of about a week as I recall.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do the processor and graphics groups have different PR teams? I'm hesitant to consider the Ryzen launch as a model for a standard product release. I do find it hard to see how the Vega can catch up to the 1080 TI much less the Xp except mayby higher memory bandwidth requring loads.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Is that an official statement though? Ryzen had claims of 40% IPC a year in advance, and then they claimed 52% a few months prior to launch. Granted, that 52% was in raw integer and float applications (and clearly not in AVX2), but the fact we don't see anything for Vega seems suspicious to me. Especially after they claimed Fury X would be the fastest card in the world (it clearly wasn't) prior to launch:
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...orstellen.html

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I can't say for sure that you and I exist within the same reality. Launches from the AMD graphics team have tended to be marked by secrecy. They have gone so far in the past as to give different partners different spec sheets so that when leaks occur they know who to clobber. The Radeon 4000 series launch is a good example. They just sort of appeared suddenly. As a community, we went from a waiting state where nobody knew anything about a new product line to "they're launching a new series any moment" over the course of about a week as I recall.
    Ahh the daily name calling ignore post. Glad I didn't read it.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    "Vega Performance Looks Really Nice Compared to 1080Ti and Titan Xp" is a very political phrase that can mean anything from Vega beating Titan XP and Vega is equal to 1080.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Is that an official statement though?...
    It's from AMD’s Desktop CPU marketing manager...so take it for what it's worth. At least someone from AMD said something about performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    "Vega Performance Looks Really Nice Compared to 1080Ti and Titan Xp" is a very political phrase that can mean anything from Vega beating Titan XP and Vega is equal to 1080.
    True. But, at this point I think I would be happy with anything competitive from AMD.

It's been nearly 2 years since they released a graphics card competing at the high end. I'm really hoping that Vega is at least moderately competitive with GP102, otherwise I can see AMD making the same mistake that it did with it's CPUs, and slowly falling into obscurity. And you can be damn sure that Nvidia won't hesitate to take full advantage of a lack of competition. In a sense, they already have with the $1200 Titans.

I suspect AMD with Vega is threading the needle between, "Gaming for Show -- Enterprise for Dough"

I suspect everything will work out just dandy for them

I can confirm that Vega will be 2.5
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    2.5 what?

Months?
    Ghz?
    Inches?
    time's faster than the Xp?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Huh, so fury was 600mm2 on 28nm, 4096 shaders.
    Vega 4096 shaders, 500mm2 14nm. There have to be some big changes, either in architecture or the way the chip is build.
    On the performance front. Well he didnt say GAMING performance, im pretty sure vega will be competitive in the compute department. That could translate poorly into the dx11 performance, with vulkan and dx12 being somewhat better.
    Just look at ryzen, a lot of pure performance. Poor showing with nvidia cards and dx11.
    TBH if it will be 1080 in dx11, they will have to sell it around that price. And thats good for me, cause i will buy one and it will just get better with time .
    Also, Fury is a powerful card.It just doesnt seem to be able to translate it into performance in games.I mean results in andromeda are just insanely bad.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    2.5 what?

Months?
    Ghz?
    Inches?
    I mean either 2.5 months away or 2.5 more powerful than a polaris :P .
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Addict
    Looking forward to the Vega launch. Hopefully it will be a nice upgrade path from the rx400 series.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

2.5 what?

Months?
    Ghz?
    Inches?
    I second this.

FUGGER just trolled this entire thread

NDA's must be fun

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    I mean either 2.5 months away or 2.5 more powerful than a polaris :P .
    Nah, 2.5x the power consumption

But realistically I think it's probably TFLOPS or memory bandwidth.

.....}

Regards, Hans

This is pure evil and I like it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KiSUAN View Post
    This is pure evil and I like it.
    IIRC, AMD mentioned 2.5 performance per watt over the Fiji IIRC... But which "Fiji"? The R9 295X2 was about on par with the GTX 1070, slightly slower. Assuming the two GPU's scale %100 and using the 295X as a benchmark, another %50 increase, should see performance match and even beat the TI/Xp. Unfortunately those aren't the benchmark AMD needs to worry about. Volta was anounced to be released FY17, right?
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

unless gloflo can fab hmb2 i dont see it happening.

IIRC, AMD mentioned 2.5 performance per watt over the Fiji IIRC... But which "Fiji"? The R9 295X2 was about on par with the GTX 1070, slightly slower. Assuming the two GPU's scale %100 and using the 295X as a benchmark, another %50 increase, should see performance match and even beat the TI/Xp. Unfortunately those aren't the benchmark AMD needs to worry about. Volta was anounced to be released FY17, right?
    295 was not a fiji, fiji was a pro duo and the fury. the original pro duo should still be the fastest single card but i did not find anyone benching it against the gp102
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Could be he decided to use European dating and it's launching on May 2nd

Just spitballing here...but if FUGGER knows something the rest of us don't...maybe he can be bribed?

Anyone know his weakness? Gambling? Worshiping? Candy? Belly rubs?...hmmm

2.5 slots ...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    unless gloflo can fab hmb2 i dont see it happening.

295 was not a fiji, fiji was a pro duo and the fury. the original pro duo should still be the fastest single card but i did not find anyone benching it against the gp102
    Well in that case, 2.5x the performance per watt could easily be in Xp realm of performance. Probably not Volta though...
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast